Jonas Parrot Aug .. Melee classes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by RoguesOwn, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

My magelo isn't current. This is a screenshot from in-game, taken just moments ago and uploaded. I left my illusion and my perma-floaty on, since neither one changes any stats.
    [IMG]
    Once I take out my power source, nothing is overcapped. This is WITH the Parrot in my shoulders, too. It's only at 18 base stats for me right now.

I wouldn't mind if the heroics were increased, but it's just not that big of a deal to me to have it be 2 lower. I just can't get all worked up about it. I still haven't gotten around to getting Hero's Calling, either. And I know how much work goes into the parrot aug - Viciado and I knocked the whole dang thing out in one day. It wasn't that bad. I'm having more trouble getting 2 of the missions I need for Hero's Calling than I did with us duoing the shoulder aug.
    Masse The Butcher likes this.
  2. Triconix Augur

1) Hero's calling does NOT have +8 all heroics. Look at it again, closely. It's missing heroic stamina. Also, it doesn't have any base stats. Unless you're something like a barbarian warrior, I highly doubt you have capped stamina and quite possibly strength, dex, and agil. So in theory, the Parrot aug is an upgrade* for you.

2) You pretty much informed everyone that the Parrot aug is better than RoF by saying it only does +8 to one heroic stat. Parrot aug gives you +6 to all. Therefore, you are gaining vital heroic upgrades to 3-4 heroics, depending on the class. Seems like an upgrade to me, still.

3) It doesn't take extra time to get the required faction. Once I completed all the quest, my faction was sufficient to purchase the required tools to make the aug. This also goes for everyone I know who has done the aug.

4) In all honesty, how long could it possibly take to make 30-40k to make an aug? At level 105, currency is practically thrown in our face. This certainly is not a valid complaint about the aug.

5) Risk vs reward. Well there's was very little risk to get this reward. The only thing that you could possibly mean by risk was time consumption. Yes, it was very time consuming, but were the tasks risky? No. Every quest was simple and for the most part, enjoyable, which differs from practically the rest of the expansion, which blows my mind. Worst comes to worst this aug can be two boxed. For some reason, I don't see Burn Out or The Journey Home being two boxed at level 100. If done, it definitely was more difficult than these quests.

5) The only complaint about this aug is the fact that is a measly 40 ac, especially from a tank perspective. Even now, I'm not fully complete with progression as I just don't have the time to knock out things in a few days like I used to, the aug is only 31ac for me and I've fully completed 6 of 8 zones and have some things done in the remaining two. As a tank, I will not use it until its maxed, sadly. I'm still not sure which aug it's going to replace. It will probably replace the Dislodged Diamond of Blood just due to the fact that it's an upgrade all around rather than losing some things and gaining others, but I'm not sure yet.

This aug is a massive hp boost comparative to other aug upgrades from one tier to the next (or even skipping tiers). Even compared to Hero's Calling, this aug still gives a significant hp boost, which is never a bad thing. And, unless you got the heroic Stamina choice for the shawl aug, this item is even an hp upgrade over that. Maybe this is not the most imperative upgrade, but still an upgrade nonetheless. With its base stat upgrades, the overall heroic upgrades (refer to my first point), this aug doesn't have much wrong it. The only downfall is the lack of AC, which is mainly a tank concern (btw, I'm a warrior).

For once, people should stop worrying about the end result and how fast you can get there. Sometimes, just sometimes, all the fun is in the journey and not the destination.
    Maedhros, Obiziana and Zentara like this.
  3. Random_Enchanter Augur

I wasn't max faction by the end of the quests, was about 200 faction off per faction. Now this wasn't that being of a deal for me being an enchanter since I used +faction spells to obtain the forage quests and complete them first and could redo them for that extra faction.

But it was rather annoying to find out that the +faction spells dont help in being able to buy the kits. you have to be within ~50 faction from max faction to be able to buy them
  4. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That unfinished Alaran Tear is sad, sad panda ma'am. Come on now really! ;)
    Masse The Butcher likes this.
  5. Masse The Butcher Journeyman

1 - i should of classified it better for ya, i ment 8+ all "ITS" stats.
    2 - i said it gave you the choice of "WHICH" stat you wanted at 8hero. the point i was making was that at lvl 100 we were getting 8 in both expansions and 5lvls and a new expansion later we are getting 6.
    3 - WRONG. just cause it worked for you doesnt mean it worked for other people. i did the entire thing and i was not maxed on aviak faction and had to redo one of wings quests. perhaps you helped people and the extra kills got you to where you needed to be prior to finishing all the quests.
    4 - 40k is nothing but the point i was making is that you still HAVE TO PAY MONEY FOR IT. i cant really think of a lot of other augs you have to pay plat for that you would be willing to wear with high heroic.
    5 - dude you call having to flag through 5 zones no risk? then you get there and have to fight your way through 20+ little quests, thats not nothing. try moloing that on a class that isnt able to tank mobs. im a rogue and am almost 120k unbuffed right now, have all my new tanking and dps AA"s and even with my slow poisons running... i get worked in Thuliasaur. i barely win unless im full burn with all my clicks running on yellow con trash. i had to ask for help from friends to get this done. please dont say there isnt any risk, thats just silly talk
    6 - or 5b whatever your trying to do with your number system above. - more ac would be nice. lets take 2 simple augs to get with 8heros on them. both have 40+ac -bloodied brawn stone, red stone of power, both from group missions for a special event or whatever. both take 15 mins or less to get, have more AC and 8heroic. thats what i ment by risk vs reward. this should have 8 to keep it on par with augs that you can mindlessly camp or use currency for on vendors. as far as massive hp boost... what 75 to 100? im getting tripled for 15k on trash mobs as a rogue... that really doesnt turn my head like the lady in the red dress man. ac and hp dont mean much to me, but things that directly effect my dps do. so thats my gripe. im not saying this is a bad aug, it is nice, but id like to see the hero's raised to be on par with what exists, this is the newest expansion, we had a 5 lvl increase, this is the new quest aug for the expansion, id like it to be on par with whats already out there for us.
  6. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Good times with rogues. Don't forget the large deeps hit when tanking the mob, when you're brave enough to try!
  7. Brohg Augur

rofl, try moloing that on a class that is able to tank mobs. I'll wait for you report back next week having killed one mob.

There should be no expectation of solo/moloing current progression.
    Triconix and guado like this.
  8. Triconix Augur

1) But still, my point stands. This aug has 8 to all heroics (minus cha), while Hero's doesn't. Therefore, it's an upgrade*. Not the upgrade you were specifically speaking about or wanting, but an upgrade, nonetheless.

2) Okay, so rather than choosing a single heroic, you lose 2 of that heroic and gain 18-24 heroics else where, plus 20 base stats. Pretty decent trade off if you ask me. Stil remains an upgrade to this.

3) You don't need max faction? You need amiable, which last I checked isn't max. Kindly and Ally comes after. I did each task one at a time, rather than doubling or tripling up so I made sure to kill more. And besides, its not like old faction grinds where it took weeks or months. This is comparatively super easy to the past.

4) You have to pay money for the shawl aug I believe? You had to pay money for your EPICS back in the day. The premise of needing money to get things isn't a new concept, whether it be plat or some other alternate currency. If they decided to make it the TDS currency, would you complain about that too? People complain about inflations rates and this subtly gets a very minute fraction of that plat out of the game. No win situation for SoE, I guess. People will complain regardless.

5) Unless you're not doing other progression, you also need to do the same, if not more, progression in order to get the other augs. I don't see your point because progression is a part of the game.

6) You're comparing freebie anniversary stuff to actual progression/expansion content? Everyone knows that anniversary stuff is artificially easier because it's meant to reward the players for being around for an important date in Everquest history. Let's be reasonable with our comparisons.

As for massive hp upgrade. For an aug, this thing probably ranges somewhere from 200-400 hp upgrade. The 20 base sta, with the 350hp (No aug comes close besides shawl), plus the 6 heroic sta. That's A LOT, when you take in account that it's an aug. I never said it was a massive hp upgrade that completely makes your char some hulk. For an aug, that's a huge upgrade compared to the small interval upgrades you normally see. If you only gain 5hp per stamina that's still a total of 100hp from the base sta, 350hp (base), and another 30-50 for the +6 heroic stamina. To put it into better perspective, that's more hp than you would see upgrading a piece of raid armor from one tier to the next.

7) Are you seriously bringing up moloing/soloing into this as a counter argument? Well, these certainly aren't designed to be done solo or molo, so this is far from a valid argument. Not only is this current content, this is current progression content. This isn't tuned around any class being able to solo, why is this point even brought up? But if you want to talk about moloing/soloing let's bring up the previous augs. Can you molo/solo Hero's Calling or Frozen Orb of the Fabled King? I highly doubt it. Atleast you can somewhat molo a few of these quests, unlike the other two augs. Besides, let's not get into about not being able to solo. I'm a warrior aka the epitome of terrible soloers. Crow, meet raven.
    Well, survivability is pretty important. A dead rogue always does less dps than a living one. What is +2 heroic str going to do to really game change your dps? Probably nothing. I'm sure you'll receive higher dividends for this aug through defensive gains as opposed to offensive gains. It's a reason why many classes choose to use the "tank gear." They give up the minimal gains in offensive power for the defensive gains. If there is anything melee should complain about, it should be that pathetic excuse for a "melee powersource" in this expansion, not this aug.
  9. Random_Enchanter Augur

as i said you need within 50 of max faction to be able to buy the kits. Faction in here doesnt cap at ally. It caps at kindly or so. You can still GET to ally, with spells and such, but it doesnt make a difference. Go back there and kill some more dino's untill you get the 'your faction can not improve any more' message then con the faction. You will not be at ally.
  10. Kongfoo Elder

Just a note on the faction. I think you gain faction quicker for this with higher heroic charisma. I was max faction by the end of this and members of my group with lower heroic charisma were not. We did all of the tasks together and killed all of the same mobs the whole time.
  11. Nightops Augur

If you're still using the Dislodged Diamond of Blood (DDoB) then there are many tank augs which you do not have. Without having the top augs, this parrot aug looks much better when judged against -your- upgrades. For others who do have their augs up to date, most of us likely removed the DDoB aug when AH came out and we picked up the 4 augs from CoTF. Now with another 4 tank augs (not counting the parrot) with TDS, thats 7** augs you do not have that most other tanks already use which are better then your worst (DDoB).

**Considering the 42ac shield aug from CoTF was dropped for the new 45ac TDS shield aug.

~if the DDoB isnt your worst aug, then my point is made even stronger.
  12. Marshall Maathers Augur

Depends on how you are gearing. After seeing the info on how mitigation ac is calculated, you may find DDoB is more palatable than the augs that give ac + mana, instead of ac + hp.
    Maedhros likes this.
  13. Nightops Augur

Sure.. but I cant remember when I actually removed the DDoB aug. I dont have the 2 from Plane of War (raid and GM). And I use an AC aug on my weapon slot and I know I removed it well before TDS came out. So im sure the DDoB wouldnt make any tanks aug list over any 4 from TDS.
  14. Brogett Augur

I don't think anyone really expects that (well casters do, but IMO that's broken design, albeit an age old one). He was really just correcting the person who said it's trivial. Clearly it isn't.
  15. Brohg Augur

You have a very hardcore, narrow approach to aug evaluation. Without getting into actual major trade offs, you've separately made two choices with 40ac augs of, alternately, 3hAgi and 3hDex over DDoB's 2hStr+3hSta(60-whatever hp)+55hp(raw,gets multiplied by durability AA)+15svCorr. I'm not calling that indefensible, but it is extreme, and staying with the anniversary aug doesn't represent slacking.
    Maedhros likes this.
  16. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

Yeah, I'm slacking. Think I may log in and work on that in a bit, in fact.

I duoed everything but the mission and the HA with a druid, me, and two healer mercs. We added a monk and a third healer merc for the HA. I managed not to die until the last 10% of the named, even with me tanking it. I broke out the shield for that bad boy. We had a full group for the mission earlier in the day.

At no point do I think that rogues need to be soloing this aug. Maybe in another 5 years. But not right now. We were *almost* high enough faction when we finished, although we did the HA AFTER we raised the other factions high enough to be able to buy the kits. It took 1 extra aviak task, and 2 extra lizardman tasks, plus quite a few dinosaur kills. We maxed it out in the HA. If we had been 100% sure that the killing of 20 mobs of one of the three flavors did NOT give faction hits, we would have done it first, THEN checked our faction before repeating any tasks.

The aug isn't trivial to get, precisely. Though it's not as tedious as the hand aug in TBS. I gave up on that loooong ago. The BiC is another example of an aug with a horrible quest to get. Even now, it's not something you're going to bang out in 18 hours with 2 people and 2 mercs. The first shawl was /wrist, the second shawl was /facestab, the third shawl was lulz. I'm not even sure that should be anywhere in the ballpark of a comparison.
  17. Maedhros High King

Parrot aug when maxxed is awesome. DDoB is awesome. An aug doesnt need 50ac to be awesome. There are plenty of 45ac augs with 120-150hps and 8Hdex that are not better than either of those augs.
    Narrowmindedly using only these +8 Hdex augs with big ac means youre missing a whole lot of other valuable heroics and ignoring the power of hitpoints.
  18. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the power of hitpoints in regards to augs. Out of my personal 64k HPs 3207 of those HPs comes from my augs. Just click the Magelo. This is a stark contrast to how important AC augs are to your defense score. Out of 3422 AC, 1001 of my AC comes from Augs.

Even if I rather foolishly replaced all my Dex and Agi AC augs with 200-290 HP versions I would top out at like 6k HPs from augs, tops. Hitpoints on augs are severely lagged behind in power and should be zero consideration to anyone that actually takes hits from mobs by choice and/or wants to survive when they pull unwanted agro..
    Sirene_Fippy and Iila like this.
  19. Marshall Maathers Augur

False contrast. We are not asking if you want the full 40ac of an aug vs the ful hp value. The question is which would you rather: 3 mitigation ac or 200 hp.

I would go for the latter when in small doses.
  20. Maedhros High King

With as few hps as you have, if your magelo is correct, you probably would die to the emotes in Arx Mentis Raid number 1 quite a bit.
    Your ac is still low enough that you notice big gains in mitigation with upgrades in AC, so I can understand your wanting to sway heavily towards AC.
    At high end, when you arent struggling for AC, like I am not, then you start thinking of other ways that you can improve your ability to survive.

I'm not sure if your ranger is a raid toon, but my guess would be that most of the time that rangers die on raids, it is because of ae's and lack of hps, rather than melee and lack of ac.