Its 6:02 Pst

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by redline, Jan 16, 2019.

1. redline Lorekeeper

Servers are locked, but notes say 6:30... Awesome work!
  2. Bobokin Augur

I'm not sure DBG can tell time.

They closed Frostfell quests down three hours early according to the in-game calendar, albeit I later found it didn't match what was then posted on the website.

They closed Hardcore Heritage down early too, as I recall.
  3. Derd Augur

Forum posters will find something to complain about no matter what happened. If it was 15 minutes late someone would have complained.
    Thesehips likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

omg this is the second post on the early server lock. You do realize if you were already in game, which you should have been if it meant that much to you, then you would be able to be in game until the actual servers were taken down. It was locked to those trying to log in.
    Gialana and Prathun like this.
  5. klanderso Developer

When servers come down, we lock them ahead of time, 99% of the time; this is nothing new. There's nothing worse than loading in to finish that one little thing before the update and suddenly getting kicked halfway through with zero messaging as to why (until you try to log in again). It also allows the servers to shutdown gracefully and ensure that all characters are saved properly, instead of being in a janky state.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Lulz
    klanderso likes this.
  7. Herodotus Augur

jan·ky
    /ˈjaNGkē/
    adjective
    informal•North American
    adjective: janky; comparative adjective: jankier; superlative adjective: jankiest; adjective: jank
    1. of extremely poor or unreliable quality.
      "the software is pretty janky"
    Building your vocabulary through Forumquesting. A new added service. :)
    Prathun likes this.
  8. Prathun Developer

These events are all automated. The same data that controls when an event begins and ends is read by the calendar to display these details. If all events are ending earlier than advertised, there may be a bug.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Brohg Augur

further, the word janky is autological. it is itself a janky version of the word - junky
  10. Jalelorf Augur

I get tired of the way you treat your customers. You don't tell a customer the store will be closing at 6:30 and then lock the doors at 6:00. You lock the doors at 6:30.
  11. Shanarias Augur

If you liken this to a store, be aware that if you are angry at a store, the most effective thing you can do is to "vote with your feet and wallet", by taking them elsewhere.
  12. Ceffener Augur

When a restaurant closes at 6, does that mean that dinner service ends at 6 (all customers are gone by 6) or that 6 is when you lock the doors and dinner service ends around 7?

Real question, I have this life debate often. I assume the answer is you lock the doors at 6, but the staff hates anyone that walks in after 5:30.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

#IDGT
  14. Aurastrider Augur

What in the world could you have possibly wanted to accomplish in this time frame? Logging in and out is going to eat a good chunk of this half hour. As stated it would not be good to have people logging in at 0629 as the servers are coming down. I can only imagine from past experience this has caused some major issues. Because of this they lock people from logging in at a set time before hand so their characters don't potentially end up having issues. If they did allow people to do this and their character some how had issues they would be even more angry and asking "why do you allow people to log in as the server is coming down knowing it might mess up their character". I trust that they have nearly 20 years of experience doing these patches to have some safeguards in place and this is one of them. Yes the patches don't always go as planned but at the end of the day (some times) we still have EQ.
  15. Aldryn Another New Member

"... and Michigan still sucks!"

... ... anyone?

This is why I shouldn't be allowed downtime at work...