Issuance of Conviction targetting

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mikana, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Mikana Augur

Noticed this with the cleric spell, but may apply to other free-target spells.

When targetting the spell, there is a certain distance where the target ring is green, and allows the casting to begin, but when the cast finishes, gives an Out of Range message.

Can this be changed so that the target ring is only green if the spell can be cast at the selected location.
  2. Gialana Augur

In the game description for the spell, you must have an enemy targeted in order to cast. Is it possible that the npc you have targeted is too far away? If that were the case, I would expect you'd get the same error even when clicking the free target ring nearby.
  3. Mikana Augur

In which case, the target ring should not be green ;) However, I don't think this is the issue, (recasting the spell, but placing the target ring closer to me does allow the spell to cast correctly), it's just that the spell range does not align correctly with the colour change of the target ring, causing it to incorrectly indicate a location as being okay for casting when it isn't.
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

I wouldn't say thats what the targetting ring is indicating, I thought it went red if its cast on an invalid target (like geometry wise) not out of range, but I use one so infrequently I may not have paid attention. Yes it could have better UX, its likely to be working as intended at the moment.

Are you using a custom UI?
  5. Brickhaus Augur

Green for a free target ring does not mean the spell WILL cast successfully, but just that the spell CAN cast successfully. Things like checking range, etc. are done at the end of the free target cast. This has been the case since the introduction of free target rings.

I am (almost) positive that the reason that there isn't a check before cast is that the game would spend a lot of calculations checking conditions back and forth ... and it still may not be accurate at the end of a cast.
  6. Mikana Augur

It could still check at the *beginning* of the cast, though, like every other spell does.
  7. Brickhaus Augur

Possibly. But that's a request to have a behavior change. Given the lack of action on spells (or aas or much of anything), I wish you luck in requesting a change (as long as that change doesn't introduce more lag).

Personally, I just learn the ranges of all the free target spells I use and move on with my game time.