Is there a way to reduce cpu/gpu load?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by asfasfasfasf, Aug 17, 2017.

1. asfasfasfasf Augur

Playing just a few boxes is fine, but when I box a group it really pushes my CPU/GPU fans and it becomes noisy. With the Titanium Client I could box 18 characters on the same PC. With UF that was still more or less doable but I had to get more RAM. With the current modern client I can do 6 but it heats up my whole room.

There used to be a thing called EQplayNice which worked wonders, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. Any multiboxers out there know a way to make this work better? I have it set to be 30fps in background, and have extra clients on lowest settings, etc.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

3. asfasfasfasf Augur

Thanks there were a few things in there I didn't know. Most of it I already had though.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Framerate limit your client. It's under Options > Display > Advanced. EQ doesn't need to be running on "unlimited" (default value) and pushing 200 fps. The game doesn't look any smoother AT ALL over 60 fps, (the average monitor refresh rate), is completely playable at 31 fps (you actually can't set the slider to 30 in game, it's weird. You might be able to manually set it to 30 in the .ini file but I haven't tried), and it is even still playable at 15 fps though I would only recommend you go this low if it is really being a burden on your computer.

I say this because you mentioned having the background clients set at 30, but you didn't say anything about the foreground.
  5. asfasfasfasf Augur

Yea got foreground set to 60 and background to 30 in the ini file. It runs ok it just really pushes my gpu/cpu because the fans go crazy and I can feel the heat. I might see if I can use an old client for the boxes and just use the new client for my main character.
  6. Febb Augur

What temps are your cpu and gpu running at?
  7. asfasfasfasf Augur

Both are within safe limits but at the top end. It runs about the same as when I run a demanding game like Witcher 3 or whatever, but I just know that with the older EQ client I used to be able to run 6 without it even breaking a sweat.
  8. Febb Augur

Is EQ using all the cores on your system? CTRL-ALT-DELETE, Task Manager > eqgame.exe > details > cpu affinity. Make sure its using all the cores.

What is the make and model of your video card?
  9. Khat_Nip Meow

Has no bearing on the discussion really but CTRL-SHIFT-ESC saves you a step by taking you right to Task Manager.
  10. asfasfasfasf Augur

Yea it is running on all cores. GPU is an nVidia 980GTX.
  11. Vestra_Cazic New Member

Whats wrong with EQplayNice / WinEQ2? I'm using it right now and it works fine. You do have to pay for it to use the best feature for boxing though which is the render limiting. Maybe check back into it? I'm not sure why it wouldn't be working for you
  12. Thash Zoner

Yeah, the render limiting is the ticket. Especially since /follow works much better when background framerate is set as high as possible.
  13. asfasfasfasf Augur

I paid for WinEQ2 and that seems to just do CPU round robin. I couldn't really tell any difference with it enabled or turned off. EQplayNice gives an error that says:

EQPlayNice was unable to initialize at this time (-14). Please try again later.

I asked in their support chat and the guy who makes WinEQ2 (Lux or something) said he wasn't sure if EQPlayNice would still work with the modern client because it forces its own resolution now and WinEQ2 does the same.
  14. asfasfasfasf Augur

Woot I think that is the solution! I needed to run WinEQ2 as admin. Once I do that, EQplaynice works. It is a lot better now!