Is something wrong with mana regen and druid heals?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Old and retired, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Old and retired New Member

I spend more time sitting getting mana back then I do fighting. My mana bar drains and drains and is slow as hell regening. My heal spells do nothing. You cast and the don't move the persons health bar (very little) if at all. I know, Druids suck and are not healers. I get it. But when you have a chanter and or bard in your group and you mana builds back up like a little old lady walking across the street something is wrong. Ok hammer away. Still have my big girl pants on.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

What is your current level, AA count, and what kind of gear are you wearing? Which healing spells are you using?
    Fanra likes this.
  3. Spacemonkey555 Augur

Mana regen has been democratized, it’s no longer get clarity or a bard and done. Bards have 3 mana songs, 1 of which stacks so you can get crescendo from 3 different bards in group if things get weird. Theres enchanter obviously (clarity and gogm), beastlord (spiritual and paragon), mage rod, one of 2 clickies (kotp/soothing), gear mana regen, sk taps (not just dual bite), your own skin, rotating group/self wolf, your own regen/magnification buff, your manabear, heroic resolution, and gift of mana. There’s other stuff like necro group mana, enchanter group mana nuke, cleric aa, ranger fang/bard reflexive combo etc that’s technically there but you’re probably not gonna see it right when you want even if the classes are present, unless they’re on the ball. Then there’s anni horn and feather, both group buffs that are worth getting and clicking when you aren’t full mana.

There’s also mana pres trib,guild trib, campfire, and pot but I’m not sure if they have stacking issues. Iirc empowered campfire/guild standard work but potion doesn’t stack with wolf aa
    Oakenblade likes this.
  4. Cadira Augur

They need to remove the timers on druid heals so you can load and use old heals on the same line
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

What is your Arcane Specialization? https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Arcane_specialization

My top specialization is Alteration.

As a druid, I never run out of mana on heals. Doing damage, however, drains my mana quickly. I am unable to sustain damage without taking a break every so often for mana regen.
    Winnowyl likes this.
  6. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Oh, dear!
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

AAs
    • Max out your Group Spirit of the Great Wolf and Spirit of the Great Wolf. You can alternate them to always have at least one of them on you at all times.
    • Gift of Mana gives you a mana free spell cast every so often.
    • Spell Casting Mastery reduces mana cost of all spells.
    • The many, many healing AAs boost your healing considerably.
    Self Buffs
    • Mask of ... (level 120 has Mask of the Dusksage Tender) - Increase mana regeneration
    • Druid skin (level 120 has Luclinite Skin/Blessing) - Increase mana regeneration
    Items (~level 120)
    • Neck item focus improves healing
    • Ring item focus reduces mana cost for spells
  8. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Congratulations! You win today's award for Non-Informative Post!

Perhaps you could explain what you mean, as "Oh, dear", somehow lacks information.

I picked Alteration because I am a healing druid more than anything.
  9. Duder Augur

Do you play on TLP or live? As well as details asked above, lvl, gear situation, aa's, spells you are using, etc. The more details the better. At the very least, players will have tips and tricks if you can provide a detailed context.
  10. chungus Journeyman

Druids aren't that good at healing, u probably get more healing from meleeing with a two hander than spamming your 5 second cast time group heal. Alteration spells are pretty low cost also, the higher costs are nsw, and the dots, which can do a lot of damage if timed correctly. If everyone is clumped probably don't need to heal much anyway between squall and splash.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Generally speaking, Evo => Conj => Alt is the best overall spec path, although for augs, I skip Conj and use Evo + Alt instead of blowing 3 slots.

Early game, Alt is really really more productive for druids (I'm preaching to the choir here, just trying to be generally informative).

With specs in Evo and Conj, you really get the most "bang for your buck." Quite literally...

I can't/won't say specifically when the crossover occurs. It varies by play style, access to spells and gear, etc... A good baseline, however is around the HoT era.

Now, I'm NOT telling Fanra he's wrong in his choice. Druids are not as clear cut as other classes that can choose a specialization.

Alt => Evo is a pretty standard route for druids to go.. especially if they play a main healer role. This is much more impactful outside of raiding.

In my case, I can heal in a raid non-stop through entire events (even long drawn out ones) and barely dent my mana. I feel Alt would be a waste there. When the game's population was higher, I was younger, and much of my time was spent as a group healer... I totally Spec'd Alt first. Sirocco and I discussed things like this at length, as well as getting more heals in line with what clerics had. (Cause Superior heal just wasn't cutting it when clerics were CHing for about the same amount of mana)

I went Evo => Conj, because when it comes time to flip on the burners, I can still drain out 50-60% of a full mana bar before Season's Wrath needs to be re-applied. There are very few situations where I can rotate through the 3-4 heal spells fast enough to do the same, thanks to cool downs and delay timers.

It does come down to how you play, who you play with, etc.. Raid composition matters for raiders, with quantity of AoE HoT's running etc.. if you're designated as a group healer or assigned to the MT/OT.

There isn't a wrong choice (well.. Divination.. but... let's not open that box) Alteration, Evocation, Conjuration are tops for druids and the order matters per individual case. Abj and Div are basically worthless choices for anyone.
    Winnowyl, Scila, Sprooce and 2 others like this.
  12. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Hooray!

Wyre Wintermute pretty much said it all

Seems like a waste to me, but you do you.
    Fanra likes this.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'll look into maybe changing my specialization, thanks for the input everyone.

Also, druids should be using their mana bear (at level 120 it is the spell Bolstered Growth) every time it is ready.
    Scila and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  14. Spacemonkey555 Augur

GINA is great for alerting that its time to wolf or bear
    Fanra likes this.
  15. Rolaque Ancient

There is absolutely no additional info or clarification from the OP. So the thread is just a guessing game, and my guess is that OP is a level 10 druid in a group with some 20's. And he is wondering why he's so pitiful. I remember way back in the beginning, I used to buff a whole group with SoW, and it would use up my whole mana bar. But I got a few plats for it.
  16. Stymie Pendragon

That is a pet peeve of mine.

This community jumps at the opportunity to help pretty much anyone, and then the people who asked for said help just disappear without even acknowledging the people who spent their time answering. We don't have to do it, but we do so out of a sense of comradarry, and overall empathy.

The internet can be disappointing sometimes.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, if you want to put a positive spin on it, there's lots of good info here for any other newbs show up with questions regarding this. So, the info isn't wasted (other than on the OP, LOL!)
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

IMO the best way to tell what to spec in is do a parse of a longish time period. A raid or a long group session. Go to where your parser will count spell casts for each spell, multiply each spell count by the spell cost so you know how much mana total was used for each spell, group them up in spell type groups, then add up the mana used for each group. Whichever used the most mana is your choice. I understand excel is acceptable as a 3rd party program now.
    Janakin and Winnowyl like this.
  19. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You should show more respect to Fanra.
    Fanra has done an extensive amount of work for the EverQuest community. Years of dedication.

Old school.

But you did not.

Then why comment?
    Stymie and Rolaque like this.
  20. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

While playing my ranger, I noticed yesterday my mana sure did burn up fast. Was this something that happened to you recently? Did they create a /bug in patching recently?