Is platinum worthless for all the good stuff now?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Izzard of Bertox, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Oscig Elder

So they get to max level and then compete with the people who massively outgear them to farm the items worth selling to be able to buy things?

The unwillingness to accept that EQ is pay2win is cope.
    jiri_ likes this.
  2. Alnitak Augur

Does having max-AA, raid gear, almost all achievements constitute a win of EQ?
    If it does - well, it means I have won EQ. And I haven't paid a dime over subscription/expansion costs.
    What am I coping about?
    code-zero likes this.
  3. Oscig Elder

What's next? Tell them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps?
  4. FranktheBank Augur

Because krono is inflation proof versus plat?
    code-zero and Micker99 like this.
  5. FranktheBank Augur

Why are you talking about a TLP in vet's lounge to a guy named "of bertox"?

Just add a 1% tax to posting items on bazaar :)
  6. Micker99 Augur

Well, you never win the game lol. It's pay with time or money, if you want to be uber. You don't need to buy anything but a membership and some people not even that. Somebody has to do the raids or camp the items, with their time. You can't just buy raid gear, from DBG, for plat or krono(would be nice lol), that would be more pay to win, in that case.
    Svann2 likes this.
  7. Conq Augur

Izzard, you have more $$ in RL than I have platinum in game. You already know the answer to your question. Stop trolling, see you at raids.
    Conq
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Herodotus Augur

Be kind. Dementia is a terrible thing.
    Act of Valor and FranktheBank like this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Looks good to me. Markets adjust to events. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Nonsense.

I've been a behind the curve EQer for years now. And I regularly buy items I need to upgrade my chars, in the Bazaar. Current expac T1 visibles, a good number of non-vis items. Current stat food, tradable augs, etc. It can be done.

I've never bought a Krono, and I don't spend anything in the DBG shop (with the one exception of spending my free monthly 500 DBC to get the currently offered heritage crate, or whatever it is. >THAT< decision has netted me about 3M plat in the last 3 months, since I started that. So, that's free plat from the company itself). Until this summer/fall, I've never had enough plat, across all characters, to afford buying even one Krono. And yet, I play EQ just fine.

It's not Pay2Win. It's pay2OvercomeImpatience.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Ndaara and Svann2 like this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

make it per week and that will eliminate the strat of posting stuff way overpriced with the idea that eventually someone will buy.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Likely won't happen, but 1% on sales could be interesting. And we dwarves would be happy to hold the cash. Krono if possible.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

People have been saying bazaar stuff is too expensive as long as there has been a bazaar. This is not something new. Either everything is too expensive, or else undercutters are ruining the market.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is EQ not EBAY. There is no reason to charge for listing items. They already get that fee by limiting baz sellers to paying accounts only. So this would be something only all access accounts would pay. Cutting into the sellers profits.

And there already is a "tax" on delivery when you buy baz items from outside the baz. No one gets this plat it just dissolves into the netherworld - it is another plat sink in the game but everyone pays it, free, silver and all access accounts.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Barton-Vox like this.
  15. FranktheBank Augur

There are flaws with the tax idea, but there is far from "no reason". There is a reason most games have a tax on their version of an auction house, it's a blanket plat sink. I think it's FAR too late to be looking for plat sinks tho, because the economy is so wrecked from years and years of no sinks.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

What if Kronoj are pushing the platinum pieces inflation ? .... My theory is that platinum is more worth than Konoj because platinum does represent spent play time while Kronoj are a purely fictional value being bought by RL money that is purely based on believe without having an intrinsic value. It is as much worth as toilet paper and if being digital (like 99.99%), even less. Kronoj are just the extension of RL money.

If players do believe that a Krono is worth 5 mio platinum pieces, it will inflate the whole platinum market volume by that amount in platinum and does raise the Krono price. As long as Kronoj do get consumed, that will keep the platinum inflation low, but when they do get hoarded it will cause platinum inflation. Generating and hoarding Kronoj is like printing/generating money in RL, which is causing inflation (= bloating; bubble). Platinum is like gold in RL that does get mined slowly but steady, while Kronoj are a fiction. Of course both are fictional values as digital currencies inside a fictional world, but platinum is substantial as long as it does not get manipulated (forcefully deleted or added) by DBG, while Krono is not.
  17. Izzard of Bertox Augur

Daaaaaammmmnnnnn calling me out like that. I am but a humble servant of our national defense team.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

Yes in any progression game you are less competitive than those that have spent the time to progress further than you. But even so you ARE capable of farming stuff. And if you join a good guild you can even group up to help each other killing stuff. You dont have to buy everything.

If you feel like its unfair that some people have better gear or more plat than others then maybe mmorpg isnt right for you. Its the nature of a progression game.
  19. KushallaFV Playing EverQuest

EQ is P2W/P2Convenience/P2QoL. I don’t know how anyone could argue against it. Kronos are fully pay to win. It doesn’t matter that there’s not a final cut scene that says “End” on it.
  20. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Krono's have kept the game alive so its all good.
    CatsPaws and code-zero like this.