Is 99,000 plat a lot to leave behind?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Xxmedixx, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Xxmedixx Journeyman

I am coming back to the game but was planning on trying a new server. I'm leaving four toons behind, one with PoP gear (is that just average now?) and all my plat. I was just curious. Thanks.
  2. Demascuss Journeyman

I talked to a few people in game about this same topic and they said 100k isn't that big of a deal of a deal. To me that's a lot and not sure if be able to part with it haha. But at the same time I've never been very good at making money in this game :p
  3. Borek-VS Augur

Anything below Time raid gear is well below average for a 65 now. 100kpp is worth having, but, just for comparisons sake, a Krono (a token for one month sub) is worth 600 - 900kpp on most servers.
    Yther likes this.
  4. Xxmedixx Journeyman

Honestly I don't remember how I made it. I camped something and killed it every morning before work. I don't remember what. Maybe I'll transfer him if things work out. It's tough not even having enough for beginner spells.
  5. Yther Augur

Depending on where in PoP the gear came from. It's Plane of Time gear, then a few pieces other than weapons may be better than defiant. But, for the most part, defiant will still be better and should be mostly readily available in bazaar.

The 99Kp, some might say is reasonable amount. Personally, I try to keep a minimum of 100Kp on shared bank on all the servers I play regularly on. As a comparison, you can buy a Krono with Station Cash and get 300-700Kp (600-900Kp Borek said) for it. Maybe more or less, as I haven't kept up with prices. But 250-300 seems to have been the minimum forever. I've seen them for over 700Kp though as well.

That being said, a full set of defiant will run <10K if you shop around. Add in a full set of trio jewelery (See http://nathrach.republicofnewhome.org/gizmotron/old/ ) with Underfoot Diamonds for the slot 11 slot run around 30-40K. So you could be regeared for under 50K assuming, you're still pop level (65). Higher end gear goes for more, but most of the bazaar stuff is reasonable.

Also, since it's an old account, you may have loyalty points earned, and can use them to buy bags of platinum (13-16Kp each bag, random), as well as possibly many other /claims. See http://www.paullynch.org/tnzfaq/?page_id=355 for details on them.

It's up to you, but in general, I say get defiant gear until 70. Work on Epic 1.5 and 2.0 or buy some Secrets of Faydwer tradeable weapons. Clicky items may be useful for a long time, depending on the class and clicky. So, you may want to keep some of your gear.

Also, if starting on a new server, do the tutorial (or do it anyways on a new toon) just to get knowledgeable about the new features of the game. And, great starter equipment, if plan on keeping the new toon.

Hopefully, this was enough info, so you can make your own comparisons based on what you want to do. Some people like to play old world, and limit themselves. If that's your case, PoP gear (depending) may be right up your alley, and 99K isn't broke for sure.

Yther Ore.
    Borek-VS and Lisandra like this.
  6. Xxmedixx Journeyman

Thanks for all the info!
    Yther likes this.
  7. Sebbina Augur

Buying defiant armor unless it is very cheap is pointless, since a merc tank auto gears and skills up, so you let it mostly carry you to 60-70. If you want to play on a new server, try to pick one you think you will like, maybe you have some friends on it, or you want to check out Rathe and the family guild there. I have made runty characters on most of the servers, just so I have one to check out housing that seems interesting, and seldom have any trouble making some quick plat, once your character is on, type /bar and do a general search and see if there is any trash type stuff that some one wants but is busy doing other stuff so offers to buy it- Spiderling silks, bear/cat pelts, killing animals in CR usually drops one or two Fresh Meat that is always in demand as it is part of high end food, and of course, if you have chosen to go All Access you may have the 450 ish Loyalty points to get a Bag of Platinum from the NPC near the CR stone in POK and they sell to NPC merchants for 14k plat.
    Making the kind of plat to buy a Krono or some rather rare high end gear, is another story, but that is for the future.
    Lisandra likes this.
  8. Weebaaa Augur

If you need money fo spells: Ask around! Some players will be more than happy to spare some spell money for you.

Alternatively: They have ground spawns called "Collectibles" That spawn in the Rain of Fear expansion (Which you have, now) that can be worth several hundred, to several thousand platinum, and have are easy enough to find.
  9. Roxxanna Augur

Leaving behind 100k....no biggie
    Finding an awesome guild with lots of friends......priceless
    Crystilla and Lisandra like this.
  10. Raptorjesus5 Augur

For comparison, at high levels 100k is about an hour of killing easy mobs and vendoring everything.

The gear you had is all meaningless now, since defiant gear is better or just as good and is very easy to come by.

Not saying you shouldn't play your old toons, but definitely don't do it for the gear or plat.
  11. Lighteningrod Augur

Please don't recommend players log in and start asking (begging) for money. What a terrible way to start or return to a game.
  12. Weebaaa Augur

When I started over on AB I asked respectfully for a few hundred platinum to get a few levels worth of spells.
    I've given Xxmedixx the benefit of the doubt that he is tactful.
    Xxmedixx likes this.
  13. asgaard Augur

Beginner spells are cheap. You can easily make enough in the tutorial to buy what you need by looting all the mobs you kill and the barrels, and you can get a few silver right off the bat by doing the achievements task with Scribe Farquard in the slave revolt camp.

There are 7 barrels in the beginner area of the tutorial that you can loot without worrying about mobs and they respawn quickly. If you get bows from them they sell for a couple plat each which is more than enough for your first few levels of spells. And defiant gear can drop from even the mobs in the beginner areas. You can get a plat or two for those too. After you get a few levels and move out of the beginner areas, you can start killing spiritweavers and plaguebearers and get 3 to 4 plat each for the staff they drop. And there are many more barrels to loot in the rest of the zone.

I've started many new toons in the tutorial. Many times I've left the tutorial at level 10 with over 100 plat in my pocket plus all the spells I needed.
    Xxmedixx likes this.
  14. asgaard Augur

Actually the spells are cheaper than I remembered. Just out of curiosity I made a new enchanter in the tutorial. I bought all the spells available to him in the tutorial (levels 1 through 10) and 100 tiny daggers. It all cost about 5 plat. Loot a couple bows from the barrels and you're good to go. The rest is gravy.
  15. Rhymez Thebard Elder

Nope. Start from zero. You wont miss the plat. If its worth 100kp then it might be worth farming the item yourself.

Also consider this. The highest you can sell an item for in the bazaar is 2mil plat.
  16. Ratbo Peep Augur

Advice for returning players.
    1) Do everything you can to recover an old account - Silver Accounts no longer can be bought. :(
    2) Buy a Krono - on most servers that will net you close to 1mil Plat. (enough to easily get get there)
    3) Run through the tutorial for a complete set of free newbie gear.
    4) If interested in leveling up - get a tank Merc and let it fight for you.

-R
    Xxmedixx and Borek-VS like this.
  17. Jeanmirac Elder

Give it away to some newb - recently purchased mounts in bazaar for some returning players who went nuts on veteran awards on one toon - not knowing/realizing it's claim once, one toon.
    I don't mind, it's a big deal to some so why not? Folks have helped us over the years, we pay it back.
  18. Xxmedixx Journeyman

Have my very first account from 2001 and another from 2004. Thnx for all the great suggestions. I'm finding my collection of toons is much harder to part with than the plat. I made 750 in one night in Greigs End and had a lot of fun doing it. I don't think plats a problem.
    JacklSK and Borek-VS like this.
  19. CaptAmazing Augur

Play on FV and I'll give you the 100k to get started.