incredibly specific question regarding keyboards and eq

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Magickon, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Magickon Augur

I have a corsair keyboard, that I like very much.

However, I've noticed that the software for it is *terrible*, in that it will on rare occasion just completely wig out and it spams inputs for all of the fkeys and alt at the same time. I know it's the software, this has happened several times, and the first couple of times it happened I thought the keyboard was bonkers. I did an exchange at micro-center as a result, but the problem persisted.

The software for the keyboard has not been updated, prior versions still cause the error, and thankfully I've been able to use the keyboard perfectly fine for months since then, with the software not installed.

Here is my question:

The keyboard has media controls (play, pause, previous track, forward track, mute, and a volume rocker) that work even without the software installed.

I've noticed that in everquest, if I press one of the media keys, a key is typed. play/pause is g, previous track is q, etc. It's really strange because in every other application, pressing the media keys only cause the appropriate function to be performed.

In everquest however, if I press the key, playback will be paused, etc....AND the same effect as typing g, q, etc will ALSO be done. If I'm typing a tell, and press that pause, "g" will be entered in the chat box. If I make g be a shortcut for an action in EQ, pressing pause will activate that shortcut.

Has anyone experienced this that knows a workaround? (One of the media functions is a keypress that I have used in eq for years, un-training my habit from that key from use has proven to be difficult)
  2. Dreadmore Augur

Hey M, I have a Corsair keyboard too. Sounds similar. Not a rocker for the volume, but a wheel--and I don't see any models with a rocker, so maybe a wheel is what you meant. But that's besides the point. Just saying I have either the same or very similar keyboard.

I tried to replicate this problem but it's not happening. I can't assign a media key to as a shortcut key either. I'm curious about the rest of your setup though. What OS are you running? What if you press a media key specifically in Notepad or some text editor? Is your keyboard firmware up to date? What if you do install and use the most updated software for the keyboard? Are you using some other program to run the EQ client, like Win EQ or I S Boxer? Any key macro remapping running?

For some comparison, I install the most recent software and firmware for everything when it's available. I run Windows 10. The reason I ask about the OS is because the media keys are unique with their own HID codes, but I don't think they were around and part of the standard when EQ was first released. I'm far from an OS and hardware expert though so there may be factors other than the OS involved in that. It seems my EQ just doesn't recognize any input from my media keys.

Also I found something that sounds similar on the web: https://superuser.com/questions/807...a-media-key-on-my-keyboard-windows-mail-opens
    It's the "have-you-tried-turning-it-off-then-on-again" fix. Does that work? Is it applicable to you? Not sure if your keyboard is wireless or not, but if wired, then I guess it would turn off every time you turn off your PC.

So the one flaw in my thinking here is that you said the keys work fine in all other applications... but hey, worth trying, I suppose. My hunch says there's something else really obscure here that's conflicting with the keyboard and/or the software (when you had it installed).
  3. Magickon Augur

Yeah, it's a wheel, sorry!

I'm not using anything weird to run eq, just the launchpad.
    If I press a media key in notepad or something, it does *not* enter the shortcut of g, or q, etc. (But it does pause playback of course)

It's not wireless, my keyboard is a k70 lux. I use windows 10. I will try the new software version I guess, I see it was updated very recently. Maybe they fixed it?
  4. Magickon Augur

Nope, still does it. The mystery continues! Maybe I'll try contacting corsair support.
  5. Nifty Slacker Augur

I have a corsair keyboard, but no media keys on it. I've had no problems with the software either, so maybe there's a workaround on the corsair forums.