I'm suddenly having trouble with /xtar commands, anyone else use them?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SevrinSevendust, Jun 4, 2016.

1. SevrinSevendust Elder

Hey everyone,

I have a 5 box and use /xtar # comands in my hotkey macro for my grouped characters to target the mob at the top of the extended target window /xtar 1.

My main is usually designated as main assist, and puller so my healer merc stays with group behind me if in tow, or in static camp spot. I usuadesignate my mage as tank, so the pet gets extra healing attention. This setup works pretty well for me, and I use my bard to target /xtar 2 or 3 for single target mezzing adds, or use AE mez hotkey melody.

I use /xtar instead of assist, as it's generally faster than the server response for/assist targeting.

Typically a hotkey macro per character would look something like this:

/Xtar 1
    /Pet attack
    /Pause #,/cast #
    ...and so on

For the last week or so targeting isn't getting acquired and pets obviously aren't engaging without an acquired target Targeting with my a /xtar 1 command used to be absolutely instant, with mobs immediately going in. This doesn't make any sense for this process that has worked for so long, to suddenly go south. It's taking me on average 6-8 seconds to acquire targeting and get pets engaged, repeatedly tapping my hotkey to get targeting. This manageable in Grubbs HA's, but is gonnaake me a dead ranger in TBM progression .

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm trying to determine if I'm having an isolated issue here on my side, or its more than that? I'm a Manuel boxer, not a bot. I use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] for visual screen and windowed mouse management, with broadcasting hot keys 1-12, and I manually play all characters.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Sevrin Sevendust
  2. Millianna Augur

If you are using /xtar 1, the first thing you need to do is set your first xtar to the groups assist target. Your main must target the correct mob. If you have lag, try this:

/xtar 1
    /xtar 1
  3. SevrinSevendust Elder

I'll give that a shot. I'm puzzled why it's been working flawlessly, then over the past week but or so doesn't.
  4. Millianna Augur

The issue I have is forgetting to reload xtar window. Killed myself plenty of times doing this...
    Tatanka likes this.
  5. SevrinSevendust Elder

I'm beginning to think I have an I internal problem with the pc and some firewall management. Gonna investigate this later and test.

I usually have my main marked as group assist with xtar 1 labeled as that target. That way I generally know what mob pets will get locked with and I can re target for mob adds. I have played around in the past with several different ways of xtar designation. Gets tricky when their is a bad pull and I'm trying to redirect pets. I'll take any and all feedback from everyone how they like to set their targeting up when boxing...maybe I need to rethink how I do things?
  6. Millianna Augur

If you put your groups assist as xtar 1 when your toon uses /xtar 1 it's going target your main. Sure you can use /assist but that's A completely inefficient way to do it. Your going to deal with more latency issues.
  7. Xikteny Augur

I've done that too, heh.
  8. Rhodz Augur

Noticed a log in targeting also not just with with xtar even /assist is taking longer at times, so much so I had to put a pause 5 in just to insure things worked.
    Starting noticing it a couple of weeks back or so.
    SevrinSevendust likes this.
  9. Millianna Augur

I'm not sure why anyone uses /assist anymore. Just set and xtarget slot as group assist target and press your key for your macro. Key bind attack to it if you need it.
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. SevrinSevendust Elder

Thanks for the feedback Millianna. It would be nice if you could set you extended targeting window with a default, I've died hard forgetting to reset as well.

Hey Rohdz, what OS you using? My delays seem to have started post last patch....but I'm not pointing that finger until I test and rule everything else out.
  11. Rhodz Augur

Win 10 and I understand.

Honest answer, because it is a complication and is not understood very well from write-ups that are hit and miss. Unless one has been around since Under when a lot of attention was given it it can be tough to find a resource that actually does it justice (many do not even mention it).

Also if one is playing on a TLP there is no xtar and why learn a different system to play on Live also.
    Also unless one is raiding, or more than two boxing, and a variety of targets must be assigned out of group there is no need, desirable perhaps but no need. Major mistake by EQ was to tie things like the xtar to expansions, it is far more integral to the game than many out of era features that made it. Poor judgement

I was a coder for many years in addition to everything else I did so I literally hate complication and unknowns, /assist works in all rulesets and is so simple it never really surprises nor has to be remembered, people forgetting to reset the list etc.

In short /assist is good enough and enough good but if you know of a good write up on it that gets into the nuances I am open to change my mind.
  12. SevrinSevendust Elder

Rhodz.

We have a comanality...
    Windows 10.
  13. anvil Elder

my wife and i use win7 and /assist seems to be working just fine. we both box 3 toons for our group and we have 4 pet classes. i have noticed that sometimes her shaman doesn't do much but try to cast on my sk but i think that is more on our end. our internet sucks atm.

as for why use /assist over /xtar 1, well we tend to take breaks from eq from time to time and when we come back we don't have to remember to reload anything like the xtar window but mostly cuz /assist works just fine. if it aint broke why fix it.
  14. Robz420 Journeyman

I'm experiencing the same issues as you Sevrinsevendust, but as I've only been back a few weeks I chalked it up to the server lag everyone's been complaining about.
    I also 3 box, and not sure if it matters, but it's also my mage (and second account I always log into) that sees the problem most. On my other team, that slot is a healer (shaman) who seems to acquire his target much better, but he is also played a bit differently. In the case of the mage I often just switch over to send pet then switch right back. Maybe that might have something to do with it?
    I also use a tank merc who has similar issues (Not assisting right away, causing me to spam buttons) on the "mage team" but again, chalked that up to server lag and poor ai for the tank merc.

Edit: adding that I'm on Win 10, and use wineq2.
  15. Rhodz Augur

Are we all surprised?
    Heh perhaps it is Win 10 have no idea where to even look for such but so far the half second pause works well and it is not often an issue at all. If things get that close I have made a mistake anyway but it would be nice to have a better fix.
    BTW now that I actually use my brain and think it would have been about the same time I let the thing upgrade from 8.1 but I cannot hang my hat on that.
  16. SevrinSevendust Elder

Robz420

I find it interesting that you and I both are having more problems with the Mage & pet. Sometimes I'm running 3pets with sham, mage, and enchanter when not charming. One of the 3 pets will more often than not target and engage immediately, then the next pet after a few key taps...but the Mage is always struggling and is the last to get targeting, and sometimes I just have to manually target and send pet from his screen. I also attributed it to some of the general lag, and ignored it at first....it's not going away though.

My pendulum of thought on wether this is an isolated issue, verses an EQ issue and something out of my hands is swinging. Nothing has really changed with my pc and gaming setup, and I'm positive this targetting issue happened post last patch for me.

I'm going to petition and hope that I can bring some light to the subject. I would suggest that anyone else experiencing this problem would also petition and share info. Thanks.
  17. Orkpork Journeyman

If you hit the macro before the etw picks up the target6then of corse you are going to have trouble.

Set 1 of your toons as MA
    Set first spot in etw as MAT(main assists target)
    Pre target mob with MA
    Pull
    Hit pet macros
    Profit
  18. Millianna Augur

I said this a long time ago... But he may have a legitimate beef with the way win 10 handles multiple running instance. That's if he running it, wasn't paying attention to it.
  19. Orkpork Journeyman

I boxed on win 10 and had no issue. Drives up so i went back to win 7. WinEQ 2 could help the boxing issue.