I'm never going to play past gates of discord

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 18, 2022.

1. JustAnotherOpinion Augur

If I would have stuck it out until Luclin launched, I probably would have stayed with Mischief as well, even though I far, far, far prefer Yelinak's rule set. There is something to be said about familiar discord voices, characters, and scenery. You know what your Froglok Paladin has, can do, and is working towards. I miss that feeling.
  2. Doze Augur

Why wouldn't they "admit it" though? You can argue whether it is good for the EQ economy/community or not that the krono farmers do what they do, but both selling tradeable loot and loot rights as well as raiding with multiple boxed chars to obtain said loot is perfectly legal within current rules.
  3. Trevor Elder

gates of discord is much closer to live than anything before it (aesthetics, balance, etc.), so I really don't understand why people don't just play live at that point

I think people really just want the second server to be more than what it is, rather than take away from vaniki

yeah and EQ is a ghost town because all 17 of those years were poorly executed
    Shuey likes this.
  4. Triconix Augur

Maybe 15 years ago, but GoD is way closer to classic gameplay than it is live. GoD is still pretty vanilla when it comes to in depth class development and balance. With all the power creep and tuning done to classes and content, GoD is nothing like it was 18 years ago.

Aesthetics? You realize the last six expansions were basically remakes of Kunark, Velious, Luclin, and POP? GoD aesthetics are nothing like live. With live being so aesthetically close to classic EQ, I don't know why people just don't play live (obvious sarcasm if you didn't get it).

Where is EQ a ghost town? There are multiple TLPs proving otherwise.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  5. Mattling Elder

Any content that requires you to run an addon that tells you what to do isn't worth doing. I hated Simon Says in pre-school and I hate it in gaming.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Rcbauer Augur

They will follow the sheep. That's how they make their money.
  7. Trox2010 Augur

In the end isn't just every game a version of Simon Says when you break it right down to the basics? Game Says This, You do This; Game Says That, You do That....
  8. code-zero Augur

I'd love to see a link where the "Krono boys" make their official announcements about where they are going to be operating.
    Risiko likes this.
  9. Mattling Elder

No, not really.

There's a huge difference between being given a test and trying to figure out the answers and being handed the answer key.
    Xanathol likes this.
  10. Xanathol Augur

Let's play the game within the game - how many fallacies in this thread have you caught?

1. Players on a subset of TLPs > players on another sub set of TLPs - we don't need no stinking badges... errr, numbers!
    2. Evidently a player on one TLP does not play on another TLP - those numbers of players that we don't know are most certainly unique players to that one server.
    3. Yelinak will have a classic start thus will be the definitive measure of how much "people like classic" (ignore all the threads on how boring Yelinak's ruleset is...)
    4. People not playing because what they want isn't offerred? That is not possible. Everyone must play, no matter what, and thusly by that reasoning, they are playing what they want... wait, what?

Those are just a few of the more humorous ones, at least to me.
  11. Triconix Augur

Or in the case of classic EQ, stand there staring at your screen drooling until the bosses hp reaches 0% while auto attack remains on and hope the clerics didn't waffle face themselves while doing a CH rotation.

The whole "simon says" type of events in EQ are far and few between for quite a long time.
    Skuz, SoandsoForumUser and code-zero like this.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

That will be the server starting at classic, truebox and no random loot or fv rules.
    I don't think you'll see them in mass except for a few traders on the GoD start server.
  13. Pappasalt Augur

To each their own, most of this post is arguing opinion. Although I do enjoy those that claim its "enjoyment" when they just can't handle actual mechanics in an mmo lol.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It is a common misconception that you need thirdparty addons, in later expansions.
    The game is perfectly playable without any addons. :)
    Raytan likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I guess it depends upon what your definition of a "ghost town" and "poorly executed" is.

It also depends if you completely ignore the effect a vast amount of competition for MMORPG players that sprang up after WoW made a huge impact on the genre & EQ and then went on to inspire hundreds of clones.

To give you some credit GoD was poorly executed at launch, so much so they spent a year working a ton of overtime to fix it, but the rest afterwards while certainly not flawless were hardly poorly executed.
  16. Mattling Elder

If you're running Vox in era with 40+ and a bunch of clerics, you're probably right.
    If you're running Vox in era with 15 and only 1 cleric, it's not that easy.

Classic is like a fine wine, it's meant to be enjoyed in moderation. If you're just power chugging through it, it's a wasted experience.

GoD+ is like cheap beer, most players don't know what is in it but it smells terrible and there are better options.
    Crabman and Xanathol like this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Classic EQ is like a fine wine, because too much classic will put you in a coma.

GoD is more like a very hot medium roast coffee than a cheap beer, makes you pay at least a bit more attention to what you are doing or you will spill it & get burnt.

Waking up and smelling the coffee is probably a horrible experience for anyone intent on enjoying their Classic Wine snooze-fest though.
    Triconix, code-zero and Tweakfour17 like this.
  18. Zrender Augur

Actually, that's not true. Just because more people are in post-PoP than pre-PoP doesn't mean they prefer it. Most of those people have huge time and money dumped into their toons and their social structure on the post-PoP server they're on. It's still fully possible that they would prefer pre-PoP but won't move because they're already invested in their current server. There may also come a point where they do in fact move to a new pre-PoP tlp at a time where if it weren't available they would quit EQ. This has been the case for me before. In short, there isn't enough data and most of it's too subjective for there to be any useful conclusions drawn in this discussion.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Of course it does, if they truly preferred Pre-Pop they would have immediately jumped on the next TLP starting in Classic.

Why would anyone who preferred Pre-PoP over Post-PoP invest all that money into their character in the first place?

That is an entirely illogical conclusion in my view.

There are as many reasons to stop playing your current TLP & go play an earlier, or the next new one as there are TLP players, and it doesn't even have to be because they prefer Pre-Pop either.

In no particular order:
    That's where you make Krono, baby!
    My old TLP Guild collapsed & I did not feel like joining the other guild(s) as we were antagonistic towards each other.
    Server ran out of PUGS & I don't want to join a Guild
    I took a break & I just CBA to catch up.
    Missed the expansions I wanted to play through because my Goldfish caught Herpes and I had to nurse it back to health.
    etc.
  20. Chopsuey Augur

GoD is still a far cry from what live is today but the content starts to be less boring, to me anyway. You don't need 10 bars of AA's and discs etc til much later. That's where a lot of people, myself included, start to get turned away from the game. That doesn't really start til much later than GoD.
  21. Zrender Augur

I related my own experience and you replied as if it was implausible and false with a bunch of poorly formulated nonsense that you state as fact. Even just being socially vested in your current guild is reason enough for many to stick with current expansions post-PoP even if they prefer pre-PoP. Your counter is weak, mate.
    Shuey likes this.