I'm a EQ PvE care care bear but I'm down to roll PvP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Heloisa, Feb 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heloisa New Member

Interestingly, in every other MMO I've played (not that many really.. WoW, Warhammer Online, AoC), I've always rolled on a PvP server, except EQ.

I hanged on Mang this past year and it was fun and am planning to return this Spring/Summer as a few good friends have no plans to leave that server.

However, IF the new TLP turns out to be a PvP server, I'm down to roll on it.

One thing I can not or will not do again is a Classic start à la Phinny clone.

Whatever the new TLP(s) rule set is, please for all that is Tunare give us something different. Even if it's just a Classic/Kunark start.

but a PvP TLP you say? I'm down. =)
    Dulu and PVPme like this.
  2. likestobox Lorekeeper

For like maybe a month then you will leave like everyone else.
  3. Leifer Augur

PvP can be enjoyable within reason and in a game that has some class balance around it. For every 10 players on a PvP server there will be at least 1 griefer. You can measure TLP population dips in months or expansions, but on a PVP TLP, you will be able to measure it in hours.
  4. PVPme Augur

Usually the worst PvP players are the ones that cry out about balance and don't know how to work with the tools they have. The "its the games fault, not mine" attitude cracks me up.

FV-PVP TLP 2020 - AoC+Truebox and locked at Planes of Power. Only the strong will survive. (server restarts 3 months after PoP)

Lets goooo.
  5. Darchon_Xegony Augur

EQ PvP existed from Velious-PoP. After that it died and can never return.

Having boxes easily available in 2020 would make any PvP TLP an awful experience for everyone involved. The server would be more empty than Fippy after a few months.
  6. Gemstoner Elder

I'll take the OP at face value and answer that all of those other games mentioned were designed with PvP as core elements of gameplay. I also like PvP, but EQ just isn't built for it.
  7. PVPme Augur

EQ just isn't built for it your opinion. In its prime it had 4 thriving populations that would of argued differently. I'd love to see how many of these people who claim "it just wont work" played on a PvP server ever. (Emulated or in the past)

Here come all the "I played on zek for 5 years but it sucks guys" lolol
  8. Gemstoner Elder

True, but then again all of this is just our opinions heh. I would sort of agree with you in that EQ pvp worked better back in the day because players or at least learned playstyles were different in the aggregate. Today not as much.

I wouldn't mind if they opened up a seperate TLP pvp server this go around in addition to a regular one except for one caveat. I think it would be such a crapshow with today's style of player that its users would badger the devs into diverting resources into a never ending attempt to modify mechanics there. Its already happened with the TLP servers in general, which I support since I both enjoy the TLP servers and think it makes good business sense for them to support TLP for its revenue making potential. I don't think the second part would hold for a pvp server ... but hey, I could always be wrong.
  9. Leifer Augur

Prediction: If they open up a TLP PvP server and a corresponding forum for it - there will be over 1K posts on that forum of complaints, crying, whining and trolling before the first month is out. There will be less than 100 players on at any one time after that first month is out.
  10. johncritons Journeyman

11. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Just for reference early era EQ was factually built with PvP in mind. Ever spell in EQ has a special resist mod for PVP that is often different then that of PvE. Items like https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=6513 were literally given special spells because the Devs were worried it would be too good in PVP.

The current game no, all the more reason people don't wanna play on Zek but want a PVP TLP.
    PVPme likes this.
  12. code-zero Augur

They don't want to play on Zek because they're afraid. It's not that difficult to figure it out. I fully support a PvP TLP but I do suspect that it'll crash and burn as people who think that they're hot stuff find out that they aren't so they'll blame the ruleset as not being pure
    Fraggly likes this.
  13. Brawl Elder

/sigh
  14. Dulu Augur

Welcome to the movement, join our discord if you haven't yet:

https://discord.gg/uKCcQK
  15. jeskola pheerie

16. AtabishiWoW Second best guild leader you'll ever have

While I agree that a lot of "bad" players will make complaints about balancing (and most of their complaints aren't even valid), you also have to recognize that nearly 100% of the best PVP players in nearly every PVP game, including nearly 100% of pro players in PVP type games in both mmorpg's and moba's, complain non-stop about balance. There's never been a pro-player I've followed that didn't complain quite often about balance issues.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I admire the passion, but I definitely have no faith whatsoever that the PVP fanclub posting all over the forums amounts to anything approaching a viable population for a PVP TLP, it's a super-vocal niche-within-a-niche at best.

Maybe the "Zek Event" proves me wrong, I hope it does actually, but I don't want money wasted on a PVP TLP server that is Dead on Arrival, when it could be spent on bettering the game we know is working okay, all that would do is provide years of ammunition to destroy anyone posting about EQ PVP with.
  18. Dulu Augur

Hey Skuz, I respectfully disagree.

I made a video you can watch, and one of the main subjects I discuss in it, is the market for a TLP PVP.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/555364542
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I watched it, & again I do admire the passion, but I remain completely unconvinced the numbers are there.

Let's see what happens on the 29th.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.