If a time lock server is selected which expansion do you want it locked at

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vardune, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Rocko New Member

I would say OOW, while I love PoP, epics are irrelevant in PoP. Having epic 2.0 and locked in an xpac where they're useful would be nice.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  2. vardune Augur

Yes that is exactly why OoW is the best stopping point. Not PoP.
  3. Bigbear Augur

well i certainly hope there are more than one server with different rule sets if they plan on locking a server at a certain point. i want to go to a progression server that is slow progressing to enjoy ALL that EQ has to offer again. when i started i was 4 yrs behind the curve and at that point expansions were being put out every 6 months. i was always playing catch up and missed alot of expansions in the process.

so if there is going to be a locked at some point server i wont be there. thats just not what i want.

good luck to the al'kabor fans though
  4. Artaserse New Member

Luclin. Personally I liked the sense of size that you had in EQ before the PoK books were added. Luclin also has the advantage of being the first server with modern character models and with the AA system. In addition it was the last of 3 expacs set at level 60 which leaves a lot of viable high level raiding material for top level characters. It would work even better if they used the "classic" experience curve, fixed the boats and restored the "old" Freeport. FV starting languages would be nice too. In such a situation there would be plenty to do for more causal players. This would be a good compromise point for those "purist" that would prefer stopping at Velious and those early EQ enthusiasts who wish to extend the server to PoP and level 65.
    Having said this, any well planned time locked server that stops by OoW would be welcome.
  5. tigersnack Journeyman

LDON or maybe the last expansion BEFORE DEFIANT GEAR. Did Time-Flagging on Fippy and then Defiant came out and made worthless everything I worked so hard to get through fun raiding
  6. Machen New Member

You did time flagging and then defiant came out two years later and ruined all that effort?
  7. Silentchaos Augur

I would say The Darkened Sea.
  8. Argosh Augur

Is the purpose to lock at some expansion and then stay there forever or to lock at some expansion for a certain amount of time and then reset? Keeping the game in expansions you enjoy most is great but it wouldn't keep people interested forever. I could play a locked server if it eventually reset.
  9. syko187 Elder

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse, but there are multiple examples of locked servers that have kept more people interested than the current TLP for years now.
    Irbax_Smoo, Rojas and Zoggzog like this.
  10. Grizzlyy Journeyman

I enjoyed playing up thru DoN, but to be completely honest, I seem to progress 1 or 2 expansions every time we do a new server. With that being said I feel like a hard lock wouldn't "feel" right, in the sense that I need to know that all my time isn't being wasted. I mean once you start nearing the final expansion I wouldn't feel like putting everything into it because I would feel like the end is nearing. Here's an idea... why not start a server with 1 year locks per expansion? So in essence everyone will be in those classic expansions for years before a next one would roll out. And just maybe even the most conservative classic supporter may venture out and dabble in the next expansion and who knows maybe even like it. With a year to get used to it who knows. It would be 5 full years before LoY even came out! At least in this scenario everyone playing wouldn't feel a hard lock and see the end of the game coming. It would be open ended basically. Just my 2 cents.
  11. Crayon123 Augur

This. Epic 2.0 just seems like a natural stopping point. OoW would be perfect for a locked server. Instead of cramming all the guilds into PoP, it would allow for a more equal distribution of raid guilds across the board based on how active of raiders their guilds were.

More casual guilds would be progressing through the Tiers of PoP, while semi-casual guilds might be progressing through Elementals/PoTime/GoD, and the top few guilds working on gearing in OoW. The server at that point would feel very mufti-dimensional with options for players to pursue based on their own personal play schedule and how dedicated of a raider they wanted to be, other than just being locked in PoP raids with all the guilds on the server on some sort of raid rotation. My 2c.
  12. Coldsore.Fippy Augur

By this logic, we could lock later. I can only speak from the experience of playing a finite number of classes, but in general, I didn't replace my epic (2.0, then 2.5) until TSS. So, if epic relevance is a factor, the unlocks could be pushed back to final expansion could be PoR. This also opens up lots more content for level 70's to explore.

I'm not saying that PoR is an ideal stopping point (I like SoF personally as I've stated), just that epics are relevant through then.
  13. Exmortis_MT Augur

Although I was gone before it was released, OoW with Epics 2.0 does very much seem like a logical ending point for a locked TLP.
  14. Numiko Augur

Thinking about OOW as an ending point. Maybe it would be a good idea to also toss in Dragons of Norrath and Depth's of Darkhollow, both are level 70 max, fairly small expansions (5 or 6 zone) but will add in a lot more content and a few fun raids for people in the 65-70 range without making epics and OOW gear terribly obsolete.
  15. Aszuthan Journeyman

DoDH also adds 2.5's but at that point you almost should have TBS so that it finishes up the Mayong story on the server.
  16. Crayon123 Augur

My only issue with going beyond OoW, is even though the level cap may stay consistent at 70, the gear starts to ramp up in stats so quickly that older content quickly becomes obsolete. Instead of raiding prior content and riding the wave through each tier of gear to be viable in the next expansion, it quickly becomes a leapfrog where groupable dropped items are of higher quality than some raid gear from PoP, maybe even GoD. I personally am not a fan of that.

I want everything to be meaningful that my guild is raiding for and I want progression through raid content to feel like actual "we are now geared enough to tackle the next raid" type of scenario. It feels good when you work together to get geared and put it to good use like that. My 2c.
  17. Fizzle Augur

PoP seems to be the most popular maybe OoW though for a little extra I don't know much after that so im fine with stopping there. I don't like being locked forever either though because the server ran its course and is done, finished, completed. A reset would be interesting because it would solve the thirst for another server after this one is completed, but I also understand that people wouldn't like all their hard work deleted, that just maybe the nature of the beast, could offer transfers as well.
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  18. Aszuthan Journeyman

Groupable GoD gear outdates PoP raid gear for a large number. (Besides Quarm - Quarm gear stays relevant - but most of P4 Time besides weapons is outdated in grouping GoD)

And PoP groupable destroys anything outside of VT (and a handful of groupable does too).

It's not really a circumstance unique to any specific expansion(s).
    Soltara likes this.
  19. Fhiele Augur

I'd say POP. POP had a lot of content, and the old mac server thrived at POP content for a long time, demonstrating that it is a sustainable level of content.
    jagarr likes this.
  20. Stehlik Augur

The old mac server, iirc, had un-nerfed raid bosses.

Can anyone confirm if mac even cleared time by the time it closed?

Because it was un-nerfed bosses, it was a very unique environment that would not necessarily translate well to a locked server with current databases.

In short, unless they are going to use those old databases from the mac server, your supporting argument is invalid. Yes there was a decent amount of content, but current databases would have people chewing through it much faster than those that played on the mac server.