I wish to start a Guild Website.....

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Vionetta, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Vionetta New Member

any info would be appreciated by myself on how to get started. Money could/could not, be a problem. Try to be kind to a newb/noob, ..if ......you can.

I'd like to create a website for any interested to check it out before joining. We all have to start somewhere.

Vionetta of Trakanon
  2. Geroblue Augur

Select a web host, and start typing. Or you could get one that includes various blog/cms software for you to install. Most include help files or support to walk you through getting started.

The one guild I belonged to went to one of the guild hosting sites and started there. The look could be customized, but that was about it.

You have to compare costs, bandwidth allowances, if they allow just text or can you have a screenshot gallery. Hiow much overages in bandwidth and storage costs would be. That is where some web hosts costs can jump higher very quickly.

Most sites give at least a gigabyte, which may not be much if guildmembers post lots of screen shots. I would say 10 gigs or higher at a low starting cost would be much better.

Are you required to do site software updates ? Or does the web host handle it ?

Some web hosts have cpanel, with a means within that for you to not only monitor your bandwidth and which pages/files are looked at, but installers to install blog/cms software included with the account at no extra charge. Some come with only a few blog/cms choices.

i can pm you my web host if you want, cheap and lots of room.
  3. CrazyLarth Augur

create a few free sites and see the difference before selecting one the issue is the tools and what you get.

http://www.yuku.com/
  4. Tucoh Augur

I recommend enjin. Probably supports most of what you want for free.
  5. Geroblue Augur

Free sites can be good, but they don't last long either.
  6. Your_Ad_Here Augur

I always used webs.com. It isn't overly fancy, but it has enough basic tools to use.
  7. grimiz New Member

Guildtag.com is free and doesn't display any ads.
  8. moogs Augur

I'd recommend skipping the website altogether and making a Discord server. You can pin your guild's rules and other info, players can message one another outside of the game, there's voice chat, it works on multiple platforms including web and mobile, it's free, you can link photos and videos, you can set up separate channels for class discussions or buying/selling items, set up an auction chat bot, and many modern gamers already use the platform. You won't have to deal with your website being hacked or resetting forum logins for your users. It just makes sense.

You can set up a permanent invitation link and then lock down your members only chat channels and assign users to the members group once they're in your guild.
    Celthon likes this.