How to use Merc ability points?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Finfan, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Finfan Augur

So I am currently level 42 and not close to getting AAs yet. However I just got a message in game that I must use my mercenary's ability points. What is that about and if I have them how do I use them. Sorry for the obvious questions but I've never used a Merc before so I am unsure what I am doing. Thanks!
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Open your character inventory screen and go to alternate abilities on the bottom. This brings up your AA screen with tabs along the top for the different category you earn AA in. Now on the far right is one that says Mercenary - click that one and it brings your mercs AA to the front screen to allow you to choose where to put them. You click on the brighter ones to buy them and it will lower your merc points. Now your merc will have more mana or health or more resistance to spells - whatever you bought for it.

At the beginning you can bank 10 merc AA until level 80 at which time you can then bank the top limit of 20 AA for merc.

So now put the points where you want depending on which type of merc your running. Since this is right at the beginning and you might waffle between healer merc or tank or caster merc it would be best to get the "general" ones done.
  3. Finfan Augur

Ok, I actually knew that but I didn't think there were any AA points available until I got to 51. Turns out my merc had 5. How does that happen? I'm playing a mage currently and using a Tank for primary damage supported by my pet as secondary damage. I just sit back and toss the occasional nuke.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, it is odd since I just noticed this on my recent alt. Never saw my other alts with mercs gaining AA that early.

This new alt was getting messages to spend the merc AA when it had 10 AA banked around level 60-70. I knew banked merc AA was supposed to be limited to 20 and trying to figure out why it was giving me that message at 10. I got him to 75 and did the long J5 merc quest thinking it was due to lower merc but that didn't change anything - was still getting the bank limit. Alt got to level 80 and now can bank more, no longer restricted to 10.

So if your level 42 and getting a must spend message with 5 banked merc AA then maybe this is something new they snuck in? Like early level merc AA. I know I have asked about merc banked AA in these forums before and no one answered.
  5. Captain Video Augur

All mercs start earning merc AA at level 20. It goes >much< slower than PC XP or AA. If you don't pay any attention to it until you start thinking about PC AA at 51, then it is easy to get 5-10 merc AA just sitting there. As noted above, you can only bank 10 merc AA until you ding 80, then it doubles.