How to get more spell damage

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Mrkek, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Mrkek Journeyman

Hi !

I have maxed my aa's on my Mag crit chance/dmg and the Active ones like improed twincast, elemental unity.

Looking at my gear which is medicore.

There used to be improved damage but it it replaces with focus now ? to fire fire and magic damage for instance on RoF armor. I do not need a improved damage aug any longer?

Is spell damage the thing to look for now ?

I played for long but not on Mag as main char.

What should I be focusing on now ? To improve my spell damage ?

Thx
  2. Gragas Augur

3. Naugrin Augur

Focus is by resist type for the most part now...fire dmg on arms, magic dmg on hat.
  4. CrazyLarth Augur

5. Dandin Augur

I box a mage. So I do understand the class, but I just want to start this reply by stating that in no way to I claim to be a Magician expert. But here are some tips that may help.

You want to get focus effects that effect Fire damage, primarily. So Arms are your greatest and most important item
    Second to that would be items that reduce cast time, so your Leg slot
    Then after that, Pet focus items. Which are primarily earrings.

In terms of standard "non burn" DPS boosts
    AAs that increase your Crit % chance as a passive "spell casting Fury"
    AAs that increase your Crit damage "Destructive Fury"
    AAs that reduce your cast time
    And AAs that reduce mana usage (Gift of Mana, and Spell Casting efficency)

Pet AAs cannot be neglected either.
    AAs that increase pet DPS
    And AAs that increase survivability
    As well as swarm pet duration.

In terms of Activatable AAs
    Fire Core
    Elemental union
    improved Twincast
    virulent Talon
    1st 2nd and third spires
    Frenzied Burnout
    And the Activatable AA that increases spell landing potential (Activated)

You want one Crit damage increaser. One Crit % chance increaser. And Twincast going, as well as the chance to land.

Then chain Rain and Spear spells. And use "Swarm pet" on Gift of mana. Or if you want.
    Rain, pet rain spear spear repeat.

Don't forget, your pet can burn too, and you have a Twincast Spell!
  6. Enkel Augur

Are you asking how to increase your spells (as in the spells you cast) damage, or how to increase your spell damage (an actual stat)? If looking to increase your stat spell damage, I would follow the link Gragas posted, and search for spell damage on the augs.
  7. Potawatomi Augur

You want the most current Arms that you can find. They have the fire focus you need. After that, Head piece for magic.

http://raidloot.com/Search.aspx?class=Mage&type=Augmentation&augslot=7,8&level=100&order=SpellDmg

Lists all spell damage augs. Find the ones you can camp easily first.

Also, depending on what you do, group/raid/duo/solo/voyeurism, look for the highest spell damage gear you can find. Using raidloot.com is good for this.
  8. Necromonious Augur

Rain and spear is for burn, correct? B/c those don't seem mana effecient vs say like bolt and Garg, at first I was confused but it makes sense if talking about burn
  9. Potawatomi Augur

Please do not focus on theft of essence aa's until you have nothing else to spend AA wise.
  10. Potawatomi Augur

We have enough tools to maintain that weave.
  11. Enkel Augur

On single target Rain of Scythes Rk. 3 is 43296 base damage, Bolt of Molten Magma Rk. 3 is 15673 base damage. Not only is Rain of Scythes more damage, it is less mana. I would call that more efficient than bolt. Rains (Scythes and Blistersteel) are part of our primary burn weave and sustain weave. They're not only great damage, but also mana efficient.

Rain of Scythes Rk. III

Description
    1: Decrease Hitpoints by 14432
    Details Raw Spell Data, Lucy Spell View
    Mana: 1618
    (Allahkazam).

Spell Effect: "Creates a rain of scythes that assaults all creatures in the vicinity of your target, causing three waves between 14432 and 14432 damage" (in game description).

Bolt of Molten Magma Rk. III

Description
    1: Decrease Hitpoints by 15673
    Details Raw Spell Data, Lucy Spell View
    Mana: 1634
    (Allahkazam).

Spell Effect: "Burns your target with a bolt of molten magma, causing up to 15673 damage" (in game description).
  12. Necromonious Augur

Interesting. I never realized that a multi-target AOE would be more mana effecient than a single target LOS-based nuke. Do all 3 waves always fall? At earlier levels my memory was that often only 1-2 waves would fall and the spells were very expensive, mana-wise, I guess that changed thru the expacs...
  13. Naugrin Augur

Rains in general are limited to 3 waves / 4 hits......1 mob would get 3 waves, 2 mobs would get 2 waves each, 3 mobs would get a wave each and one would randomly get a second wave. 4 mobs would get a wave each.
    Enkel likes this.
  14. Enkel Augur

You wizzys are so smart :p
  15. Dandin Augur

Fire rain, Servant pet Magic rain Spear spear Repeat
  16. Enkel Augur

For what?
  17. Dandin Augur

Highest mage DPS return spell line up
  18. Enkel Augur

No, you will want to be using RS>Salvo>Rain>Rain on raids, and in group RS>Rain>Rain>Spear. You want to get RS out asap. If you are in a full group, depending on dps, you won't even be using RS most the time. If solo, you'll have RS out there so it can tank, so you don't need a merc up. The longer RS is out there, the better.
  19. Dandin Augur

Thanks man!
    Appreciate the input mate. Will try this on my magician tommorrow!