How to get back into this game?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, Nov 1, 2018.

1. hein Augur

I'm just wondering how one might get back into this game and understand whats going on. I have a mid 90's Druid and SK that I can box. The last I knew, in order to level up, I needed to do those heroic dungeons or whatever. I got bored with that really quickly. I saw the new expansion includes all previous expansions, but not really sure how to move forward. Most of my leveling would be boxing, except on weekend when I may have more time to group up etc.. Just wish I knew what to do and what to focus on to begin enjoying the game again. Running the same old dungeon over and over till I get to level 100? Is that really my best option. Can I pull this off with F2P? I appreciate any feed back and guidance. I hope my rambling made some sort of sense.

thank you
  2. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

If you are only interested in getting to 110 and all the AAs as fast as possible then yeah, doing the Gibbles over and over again maybe the way. Another way is finding a light blue camp you can destroy fairly fast (xp over time verse xp per kill). If you want to jump COTF you could go with farming http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8081 (Into the Temple - B from TBM) for currency to get your team up TBM standard equipment.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would go with the Gribbles missions in Dead Hills. Pretty basic and would be good exp and practice in getting used to the game again. Instanced zones so you get to do any dying in private as you get used to things.

Once you are comfortable as also mentioned above there are other things you can do. Running Gribbles over and over to level 100 is just one of the most efficient ways to get there. Still many other things you can do just won't be as fast.

Also very important is get into a friendly guild that has lots of players on. Even if they can't answer every question they can usually point you to the right place. And when boxing on your own you still get some social connections but at a pace you want.
  4. jeskola pheerie

HIT EM WITH THE HEIN
  5. Evertrek Augur

Pay for 3 to 5 accounts. Sit for days doing the same thing. Once leveled all endgame guilds will be begging u to join.

Another question would be which server?
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

And if you can stand doing Gribbles for more a few days, you will able to endure even the most boring things in life with ease. Think of it as character development. Mind numbing, stultifying, brain cell killing character development. Top it off by listening to US presidential inaugural addresses and you can take almost anything.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Or you can multitask and do more then one things at a time... :) I think the best part of the Gribbles missions is where DBG changed so that if you do some you don't have to keep doing them forever and you can change to something else any time you want. Thats what I like best.

The funny part though is most of everquest is just killing monsters and some people think they are getting variety if the pixels are arranged differently. Everquest is all about repetition. We do the same 5 levels over and over.... I've got news for you if repetition bothers you then you shouldn't be playing Everquest :) Personally I just have fun with whatever I am doing.. sometimes basic grinding is relaxing even if it is the same thing no matter what zone you are in or what you are fighting.
    Derka likes this.
  8. Critts Augur

You could always get someone to help you lv at some point. I look at the game as enjoyable through the development of my toons. I do like to grind as well, but if it where not for all the ways to improve I wouldn’t still play this game.

If your looking to do some more fun stuff I would recommend Epics (should be the first thing you do for your SK)and other quest lines from older exspansions. You can do the BIC aug from Gates of Discord. The Brell aug from Underfoot (You can now do a group version). I would also recommend doing progression in UF and HoT as they are pretty fun. They don’t have a lot of rewards, but by the time you finish you will have earned a good amount of XP. PoP progression is also something you may want to get done while you FTP. You could also do VoA progression if your tank is geared well enough to take the damage.

Trade skills yield a pretty large reward at later LVs and tons of the drops needed to go beyond 300 skill are going to be pretty easy to come by In the mid 90s You will need to sub to get the ability to actually raises your skill, but the skill will update as soon as you get the AAs etc. thing is you have to Learn each recipe from a book or by combining it yourself. so the work you will need to put in for a large portion can be done FTP. Needless to say this is a massive undertaking. doing all the trade skills once will take you months of time.

Some of the stuff I mentioned above is part of The Hero’s Journey. You can find that in the achivments section of the EQ button. It leads you through a good portion of the older content and gives you a modest reward if you manage to finish it all.

So anyway if you want to do something other then LV up there is a good amount of content out there, but if you want 110 best just to buckle down and kill some stuff.
  9. Evertrek Augur

EQ and EQ2 had grinding with friends. camps with friends with voice chat (or text) can be an interesting evening. doing epics, tradeskills, building, Dungeons, or just goofing around exploring in EQ was/is always fun. TLP is where the groups can be found.

why anyone would come back without a guild or a few friends to level is beyond me. this game is not a solo game (for cleric, war, and most useful classes). paying for 3-5 accounts to box to 100 then grinding in a corner to 110 is just weird (and expensive). head over to a TLP and have some fun with a group...
  10. Sagarmatha Augur

You should ALWAYS pay for at least one, if only one account. Everquest is not a public service. If you can't afford fifteen lousy dollars per month, you should not be playing MMOs.
  11. So Happy Augur

Copy to test server, /testcopy, you are high enough level where you really need all access. Test has bonus XP and all access. No real economy, so no one is greedy. You will get vet rewards also. Joining a guild will help, Primal Brood is recruiting raiders and non raiders.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Running DH Heroic Adventures is the simplest option. The best option would be to make some friends, join a guild, and get groups and level up with them. On your own something you should be doing would be the 'Franklin Teek Dailies' that you have access to (for your level I would say that would mean the ones for level 80, 85, 90 and 95; grab them and do them.

You should also grab the Daily Heroic Adventures Bonuses when you can; though these may require some help from other players to complete the specific HAs.
    As part of doing that you may well end up doing the DHHAs, but you will not be doing the same ones all of the time. You will get to do a lot of different missions. Also, doing the progression for VoA and later expansions does offer decent experience the first time time through.