How are you boxing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Salog, Mar 31, 2014.

1. moogs Augur

One computer.
    One monitor.
    Windows 7, full size Windowed mode.
    Mouse clicks on the taskbar to change accounts (2-4 depending on need/mood).
    2 main socials for combat on each (Engage, DPS).

No 3rd party software except for 7+ Taskbar Tweaker which only became necessary after a bad Windows update caused EQ taskbar windows to become stacked. This separates them so things are back to normal.
  2. Darzag Elder

Two computers. Number one (main) has druid. Number two has two mages or mage/shaman windowed.
    Mage has a hot key that assists the druid, sends pet and casts nuke. I also use two keys on mages for nukes. Druid assists the tank.
    When using shaman the set-up is basically the same. Shaman hot key assists druid, casts slow and casts nuke.
    I always run three mercs. Depending on situation/need, I will use tank and one or two clerics, or one or two caster dps mercs.
    I switch between chars with my second mouse. Druid DDs or DoTs depending on length of time per kill. Druid also has heals for emergency healing and of course the oh s*** button...Evac.
    This is a fun set up...not designed to be all powerful or kill big shot named.
  3. Incognito New Member

I three box on one computer (SK/Monk/Shaman) on a 32 inch TV

I have my main (SK) take the right side of the screen, then the monk/shaman divided between the upper and lower halves of the left side respectively. I found it to be much easier this way instead of alt tabbing, as I can visually see my characters at all times. Everything is key bound between the characters, with like functions bound to the same keys.

Having three windows running on one screen, space is a commodity. So chat windows are minimized on monk/shaman, as well as any other extraneous windows that don't convey important information.

Takes some getting used to, but it's worked smoothly so far. Good luck to you!
  4. moogs Augur

Incognito, how do you get key binding to work across windows? My experience has been that it will only work in the active window unless 3rd party software is used.
  5. pk76 Augur

same for me ( 3 box on same screen / computer , windowed mode full screen ).
    window xp , i click the little eq icon on the taskbar , the toon i need to play , it's pretty fast once you are used to..

i always play with 3rd view so i can see all over the place, even if an add is coming from behind ect,
    i play on a 24 inch monitor but i don't need to minimise things since i can see all my char using 3rd view all the time.
  6. Fastfistz New Member

I 4 box normally, sometimes 5 box depending on my mood. I used to do this all on a 19 inch monitor on one computer. Using task bar and mouse clicks to switch characters, sometimes Alt Tab. Now I have a 27 inch monitor I use still with one computer.
  7. Incognito New Member

I just click the window the character I want to use. It would be nice if I could control other characters from one window though.
  8. chaoz_sk Journeyman

I occasionally 2 box and use wineq2 to launch 2 EQ sessions running in windowed mode.

Ctrl+alt+2 lets me switch to 2nd window and I have macros setup for most common actions i.e. 1 = Assist my SK and debuff/cast spells, 2 = cast dmg spells, 5 = normal heal, 6 = emergency heal and so on.
    I can then use Ctrl+alt+1 to switch back to SK.

Having macros setup makes a big difference especially as I use a laptop with an 11" screen.
  9. moogs Augur

Thanks. I think that [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] allows one to broadcast keys across multiple windows. So you could engage on a tank, cast a heal, and debuff/slow all with one button. I don't have enough experience with it to say for sure whether it works. The setup process is utterly foreign to me.
  10. Tharrg Augur

that is correct... however it becomes easier if you link up similar characters... for instance.. have a 6box mage army you can mirror all 6 and have the keys being hit for each one to do the same thing. Hence why there are so many bot armies....
  11. moogs Augur

I think that changes the whole game. You stop playing EQ and start playing a completely different game where the goal is to see what your scripting abilities can accomplish within EQ. I don't know if full automation is for me, but I can see how some people would get off on that.
  12. docc New Member

I 6 box, two groups which give me 6 mers if needed. I window ..have each char in same spot all the time with heaps of marco's set up often, is the same spot for each char. My computer is 8gig ram works well with 5 char ..6 has a little bit of lag.

For a named: First team is a war bard wiz (2 clerics merc and one dps mer, if the name is very hard I can go 3 cleric mers as the second group will do the dps) this is the main agro group. The second group is sk(just in case the war dies and to take on adds and they still do a fair amount of dps) Mag and druid. That give me heaps of healing power and bard helping with ac on the tank and over all 4 dps. I don't raid so I need the extra healing and dps (no raid gear). On that I have been pushing for a non raid server.....

If ever you want to take on high end named with out raid gear .. you need a war..and a wiz. Bards are so good at pulling you can't go past.. and if you box they do dam/heal/ac with out even clicking so they are a must. Mag is great for COF so moving around is easy (pet and dps)... the only one I would think about changing is the druid

For non named one cleric merc in first group and 2 wiz mercs.
  13. Quilix Elder

I use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] as well - but hardly use key transmit functions. Mostly set up VideoFX windows as once created they simply show the boxed chars button set on mains screen, that way you see all the spell icons, button text, etc and description still pops up when you hover over a button.

Basically you create a send window on the boxed char and pull it over their button sets. Then create a receive window on your main and put where you want on your screen - this area now displays the send window and accepts mouse clicks etc.

Does require that windows Aero is active but works very well and is very simple to implement.