How about a TLP where there is class balance?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Kalipto, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Kalipto Augur

I know, I know, this isn't possible and I'm a complete idiot for wanting it. That said, the only TLP that I'd be interested in is one where you don't have to play a monk to be a dps class for the first 15 expansions. Yes, other classes can compete, but a well played monk will never be beaten.

There are periods of a TLP that lasts for 6-8+ expansions where if you want to play a DPS caster, you will be half the damage of melee classes.

So again, I know I'm a complete and utter moron for even suggesting such a stupid thing. But if I ever want to enjoy another TLP, it'll be because I'm not required to play a monk to properly fill the DPS role.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There has never been Class Balance, all of the past devs did not believe it was needed for EQ anyway and none of the team leaders exercised oversight with a view towards class balance.

The very essence of class balance is anathema to Darkpaw they just don't believe in it anyway.

All there has ever been is a gradually increasing degree of disquiet when classes fall way, way behind others and are not really performing their role to a remotely reasonable degree and this degree has to be extremely severe before actions are taken, as in players have to be quitting EQ & cancelling their subs over it before any attention to it is paid.
    Brontus likes this.
  3. coltongrundy Augur

It would be crazy if a pure DPS class like rogue could actually compete against monks
    Critt and Brontus like this.
  4. eqfanforlife Elder

Actually I feel it's balanced right now on mischief and in the later expansions with AA's and abilities the game becomes quite interesting.

It's crazy all the complaints about the game were fixed over the years but people still quit.
  5. Draslin Journeyman

People forget that this is the same company that didn't add any sort of testing or QA to its expansion project plans until after a community member organized a boycott group comprised of pretty much every server's top guild.

We used to laugh it off as "Muh Vision", but it's really about arrogance and disinterest - the same arrogance and disinterest that ruins every studio eventually.
  6. WeCameWeConquered Elder

Someone must play a warrior.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Lilfella Elder

Implementing Class Balance would not make it a true classic experience.

[IMG]
    Rijacki and Skuz like this.
  8. eqfanforlife Elder

Nope.

I do see the power of warriors but in the top 5 dps each raid, sometimes it's a warrior, sometimes it's a rogue, zerker, bard, wizard, necro, etc etc.

All about who manages their cooldowns and resources the best and yea of course RNG with rounds and criticals but that's always the case no matter what.

It's not like classic where you know monks will be top dps every time and it's as simple as just get the best items and press 1 button.
  9. Lawyer Augur

You're playing the wrong game if you expect that kind of effort to be expended.

They can't even detect & mitigate an economy-warping item dupe bug.
    You think they're going to balance classes across a couple dozen expansions?!
    FranktheBank and KushallaFV like this.
  10. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

4th Edition D&D was all about class balance and making the game play out like an MMO on the table. I'll pass on class balance, thanks. Just don't make things woefully out of balance. The pendulum always seems to swing like that, one way, then the other, in extremes.
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Classes fall in and out of favor as expansions are released. Since MMORPGs are classed based RPGs and are a work in progress, it is incumbent upon developers to ensure that classes are relatively balanced.

You can't just plant some seeds in a garden and expect them to bear fruit at harvest time. You have to weed the garden, keep the soil aerated, water the garden, fertilize the garden, and keep pests out. When you plant a seed you begin a season long commitment. Designing MMORPGs are no different. MMORPGs need to be properly maintained and fine tuned constantly.

Since a large part of EQ's revenue comes from yearly TLP servers, why not attempt a class balance phase and finally get it done to ensure an optimal play experience for future TLP players?

Nobody wants to play a MMO where a handful of classes are overpowered and overrepresented. It's just bad game design and makes for boring, predictable game play.

Since equality only exists in its most pure form in mathematics, true class equality will never be achieved. But, that doesn't mean that the developers should not at least strive for it.

It would not be very hard to address many of the issues that TLP classes face upon release and the next few expansions. Some minor tweaking to damage tables and abilities could go a long way and would be cost effective and be a very good olive branch to extend to players that have been clamoring for this for over 24 years now.

It would be helpful to get an official response from the lead creative in charge of EverQuest Darkpaw on their position regarding class balance. If the answer is no, then that's fine but extend the courtesy to your players to at least explain your rationale. If the answer is yes, then let us know as well.
  12. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I agree with everything you say. I've never read a cogent and coherent reason from MMO studios as to why striving for class balance is undesirable.

Just for fun, I asked ChatGPT for their opinion on the importance of striving for class balance in a MMORPGs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft. This is what it said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Class balance in MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games) like EverQuest and World of Warcraft is a crucial aspect of game design and ongoing maintenance. This concept refers to the idea that different classes, each with unique abilities and roles, should be relatively equal in terms of their effectiveness and desirability in various aspects of the game, such as combat, support, or utility. The goal of class balance is to ensure that no single class is overwhelmingly powerful or significantly weaker compared to others, fostering a diverse and dynamic gameplay experience.

In MMORPGs, class balance is important for several reasons:
    1. Player Satisfaction: Balanced classes ensure that players feel their choice of class is valid and rewarding. When classes are imbalanced, players of underpowered classes can feel disadvantaged or even marginalized, leading to a less enjoyable experience.
    2. Group Dynamics: MMORPGs often revolve around group-based activities like dungeons, raids, and PvP (Player versus Player) combat. Class balance is key in such settings to ensure that all classes have a role and can contribute effectively. This balance encourages teamwork and strategy, as players must coordinate their diverse abilities to succeed.
    3. Longevity of the Game: Balanced classes contribute to the longevity of an MMORPG. Games with poor balance may see a decline in their player base as players become frustrated with imbalance issues. Regular updates to balance classes help keep the game fresh and engaging.
    4. Economic Stability: In many MMORPGs, a class's ability can influence the game's economy. For example, if one class excels at generating in-game currency or resources, it can lead to economic imbalances. Maintaining class balance helps keep the in-game economy stable and fair.
    5. MMORPGs are distinct from traditional video games in that they are not static; they are continuous services that evolve over time. This ongoing nature necessitates a different approach to game design and maintenance:
    6. Constant Evolution: Unlike traditional video games that have a defined end, MMORPGs continuously evolve with new content, features, and updates. This evolution includes adjusting class balance to accommodate new content and maintain fairness.
    7. Community Engagement: MMORPGs often have large, active communities. Class balance is essential to keep these communities engaged and satisfied. Imbalances can lead to community unrest and negative feedback, which can impact the game's reputation and player retention.
    8. Competitive Integrity: Many MMORPGs feature competitive aspects like PvP or leaderboards. To maintain a fair and competitive environment, classes must be balanced so that success is determined more by player skill and strategy rather than by inherent class advantages.
    In summary, class balance in MMORPGs is vital for ensuring player satisfaction, effective group dynamics, game longevity, and economic stability. The ongoing nature of these games, with evolving content and active player communities, makes class balancing a dynamic and essential aspect of game maintenance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  13. CdeezNotes Augur

Find better rogues, maybe?
  14. CdeezNotes Augur

You must have bad necros if you see balance. They should basically double everyone up with ease.
  15. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Mischief is in Underfoot right now. Necros are not top dogs yet. That doesnt really happen until VoA when they get Heretic's Twincast, and even then, They are not doing double the damage of anyone just yet. Maybe you just have really good necros and the other DPS is subpar.

I felt out of all the eras in EQ UF and HoT felt the most balanced. Pretty much any good player, be it Necro, Wizard, Monk, Mage, Zerker or Rogue had a shot at being on top, given they had the appropriate support.
  16. CdeezNotes Augur

Well our top dps are all the top players on one of the top end live guilds so none of then are subpar (I'm also in that guild). Necros just stand alone and its even worse in VOA now with good necros double or tripling most classes
  17. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

Well, as someone currently in VoA on TLP, with good necros in the guild, it is not my experience that they are doing double or triple my damage as a Wizard. On longer fights, they do a good bit more than I do maybe 30-40% more, but any fights under 2 minutes and I am able to edge them out of that top spot. I anticipate with all the buffs to Wizards that just happened, and with more on the way, I will be in a pretty good place moving forward into Rain of Fear here in a few weeks. I will say this much, I am the only person in the guild able to have a hope of keeping up with the necros. None of the other classes stand a chance, and thats an issue.
  18. Soriano Augur

I actually think the reason EQ has remained incredibly popular all these years is it is not so class balanced, both EQ2 and WoW are much more on an EQUITY SCALE across all classes and it hurts the game over all. It is why we as players see EQ NERFING abilities, if something make s a class appear to have a true superior advantage they nerf the hell out of it.

The ability to find all sorts of ways to accomplish task is what makes EQ BETTER than the others in my opinion and striving for EQUITY is what kills that.

Making sure one class it not completely over power all other classes YES, trying to make all classes equal....NO

Marxism does not even work in MMO's.
  19. eqfanforlife Elder

Basically either you play the classes that are good or you get carried by them.

It's impossible to progress solo as a warrior, wizard, rogue, etc without a balanced group.
  20. Soriano Augur

Rogue and Warrior are certainly never going to be a good choice to solo, A wizard solos rather well atleast through PoP...

but it is not about which class is better than the others I have played roughly the same equivalent classes in the other games as I play in EQ, typically the dru/enc combo is probably my main choice.

For me the game is just a lot more fun in EQ than the others because all the other games there is not much difference in the classes. In EQ there are CLEAR differences. I have played a Rogue in EQ it is quite fun, but it is very group dependent. NOT all classes are going to excel at the non-Group game that is not a bad thing.