Heroic stat for Necros

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Sup Rog, Feb 7, 2022.

1. Sup Rog Elder

Just wondering what the consensus is for necros and heroic stats. Not sure if the HStam or HInt is best. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Vumad Cape Wearer

Don't play necro but for most of my characters I go STA. Someone correct me if I am wrong but INT doesn't impact DPS. Mana pool, fizzles, etc, yes, but not the actual spell damage calculations. Since most people run out of HP before mana, and classes like SHM and NEC HP = Mana, STA seems like the best choice. That and the SP DMG modifier on our type 8 augs. Hopefully a NEC will get to post and say for sure.
  3. Sup Rog Elder

Thanks, it looks like Necros are split on Hstam and Hint on Magelo. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it. My Shaman I did all Hstam. Necro, just not sure.
  4. Kazint Augur

You can't really go wrong with some split between the two. It won't make a large difference.
    Shriek and minimind like this.
  5. Evurkvest Augur

If you raid i say STA for a fast high end guild, otherwise INT.
  6. Yarmeth Journeyman

I'd say you need balance. HSta is very important! So, try to keep that high. But do not ignore your Intelligence. I do raid with a top raiding group and I tell you.. having a large mana pool is vital when you run into mana sucking mobs in some of the raids. Necromancers have a unique way to generate damage from spells but when it matters.. it's all mana!
    baby-iksar likes this.
  7. Yarmeth Journeyman

8. zleski Augur

I recommend hint. A larger mana pool with spell and dot shielding is pretty good. Stamina is fine, but what use is being alive of you've no mana to do anything?

High skill raiding guilds can probably support a mix of int and stamina, but even then, int is probably better since your good skills be on top of healing. No one is going to laugh unless you have no mana to do anything when picking between stamina and into.
  9. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Raiding in low DPS environments I spec HInt, raiding in a top 5-10 Guild I spec HSta, you really shouldn't have any mana concerns frankly, but that's all dependent on the regen support in raid/group (Bards have 4 strong regen tools for their groupmates, and 1 AE one. Beast paragon is pretty stronk, if you're a true savage you can steal QM's from the rangers/beasts) and the speed at which you're beating events.

If your only real concern is group content I'd probably just do Hint, keep your shield rune on and you should be plenty protected from named AEs
    Vumad, Szilent, zleski and 1 other person like this.
  10. minimind The Village Idiot

I always give the following advice:

All classes get benefits from multiple heroic stats. Many players end up focusing on one heroic stat, but getting to the point to where you *should* hyper-specialize takes a long time. Until then...

1. Any Type 5 aug is better than no type 5 aug. Even if you're an enchanter, a heroic strength-focused type 5 aug (which has lesser values in hINT, hSTA, and hCHA) is better than an empty aug slot.

2. Know your preferred heroic stats.

Ex. Berserker: hDEX is best (maximize crits, accuracy, decapitation fires), then either hSTA or hSTR. hAGI doesn't hurt if you frequently find yourself two-boxing and tanking.

Shaman: hSTA is arguably the best because your AA Canni ability will chew up huge HP when kept up to date and you don't want to as much HP as possible to prevent Canni from putting you in bad situations. hWIS is also good because it increases the size of your mana pool and mitigates incoming spell damage.

3. When you're upgrading older type 5s (say, from The Broken Mirror) with a more current one (anything TBL or later), a major upgrade for any of your preferred stats is likely worth it. So if you have a level 115 berserker who still has these Type 5 augs.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=123812
    +32 hDEX, +11 to all other heroic stats

... and this aug drops for in Tower of Frozen Shadow

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=136496
    +75 hSTR, +35 hDEX, +23 STA & hAGI

... roll on that aug. Yes, there's a more hDEX-specialized typ5 aug out there, but the overall value of this new one is an outright upgrade.
  11. Silu Elder

I go hInt up to the highest spell/dot shielding tier reasonably possible in the expansion, then hSta for the rest. In ToL my goal is 3200 hInt (w/trib/trophy), then plowing the rest into hSta. This is coming from the perspective of a raiding current expansion but not top 5-10 raid guild necro.

I have no AP aug though, so YMMV. It's on the list now that AoCs are in live though.
    Vumad and Fenthen like this.
  12. Beergoggles Elder

Hstam all the way. If you have mana issues in raids either you aren't using your mana regen tools properly or your group/raid isn't using mana regen tools properly. In group game smaller mana pool isn't that big of a deal, if you happen to run out of mana quick regen will get you to full in 3 minutes or less anyway.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

you have literally no reason for this, you won't survive anything that woulda killed you with Hsta instead of Hint and your proc heals are more than enough to counter deathbloom and rods. Seems a waste for a 0-use stat where as the Hint is marginally useful.
  14. Sup Rog Elder

I'll just be doing group content/solo some named here and there. Wasn't sure if HPs with blood magic/death bloom/lifeburn would be better having more hps or more int would help more, thanks!
  15. Stabbyman New Member

I suggest Heroic Stamina over Heroic Intelligence. It may save your life once or twice as a group necro, but otherwise, it won't make a large difference. As a necro, in a choice between an Heroic Stamina and Heroic Int aug, I'd choose whatever has the highest stat. Mana shouldn't be an issue as a grouping necro. The truth is both Hsta and Hint are excellent for a necro and either works. But I do find the extra hit points can be nice when doing a mission with a heavy AE or if I draw aggro. With Blood Magic and Death Bloom and the mana tap spell, I can generally manage my mana supply.
  16. Sup Rog Elder

Thanks that sounds like good advice. BTW, love your Youtube videos, very cool! Actually what made me dust my necro off and level up!
    Stabbyman likes this.
  17. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

Typically procced heals tends to keep up with death bloom easily in my experience, Hsta makes no difference here. Hsta HP gains are so low as to be insignificant where as the extra damage from Hint provides a very low benefit. Hsta is also barely useful at all to tanks with it's best benefit being the melee damage mitigation. Hdex is typically better for them unless raiding which the strikethrough of the boss will negate the benefits of Hdex which even then marginal effects of Hsta is better than the nil benefits of Hdex on raid bosses.
  18. Sup Rog Elder

I use Hstam for my shaman and like that choice. For my tank/melee, hdex all the way. Necro I was on the fence about. I could see how more hps would help, but hint also looked tasty. Probably doesn't really matter either way, but wondered if there was some big reason to go one way or the other. I think I will keep the hstam augs I have and start adding Hint now. Appreciate the input!
  19. CazRaX Elder

AP aug? Dunno that one, my GF plays a necro and am helping her aug up and that one sounds important.
  20. bobokatt Augur