Help - Restarting Fresh as an Enchanter

Discussion in 'Casters' started by James, Oct 26, 2013.

1. James Augur

So I have been gone a long time now, back when the level cap was 50 haha yea a long time. Anyways, I have gotten that "itch" again and want to start fresh since no way I want to jump into an old character and relearn the game at 50+ so I plan to roll up a level 1 and start fresh (actually kind excited about this prospect) and I have a few questions ............

I have always wanted to play an Enchanter. They just always seemed like a lot of fun, with the utility, shape changes, mana regen etc etc just so much stuff to do with them, but my problem comes in. Seeing as how the game is no longer newbie friendly I am sure to be soloing a lot which is actually fine, at least till high levels soloing might be better for me, I can learn the game at my own pace.

The question is how is Soloing with an Enchanter? Is it easy, hard am I forced to group? I could use some tips on leveling up with this class if anyone could take the time to educate me. I want to be needed at high levels, I also like playing utility classes in my MMO gaming so an Enchanter seems perfect and a lot of fun.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.
  2. Camou the Persistent Augur

Hello James

You already have made a very important and wise decision: Leveling up urself from scratch. Not that the game in low levels has much to do with the high end game, but the experience you will gather in controlling your toon, will help you surely a lot.

I dont know, what you mean with "newbie friendly" exactly. In the lower levels the support from items you receive while increasing your levels is extremely good: Defiant stuff is cheap, easy to get and maxed out stats are the standard. Group invites of course are level dependend but less bound to the class, but to the player and how good he controls his toon - just being level 100 and having maxed AAs is not the guarantee for a group, only having friends and good skills are.

About the solo question above: As of today we prefer to call it "molo", which means to have hired a mercenary of the preferred class and use it to accomplish stuff without having to look for a group before you can start doing something. Mercs arent a real substitute for real players, but can help to fill the gaps, like missing healers (Cleric Merc) or tanks (Tank Merc). Enchanters can do most stuff molo. But nothing can match a friend to dou with, or having a more friends to group with frequently. Some decide to become a boxer, which means they play more than one toon at once like e.g. having an enchanter+healer merc and a mage+caster merc at once online. This will require some time to play them effectively, but if you like it, why not? :)

Enchanters arent easy in the beginning. I think that the first 50 levels are not very funny. But with the "daily tasks" from PoK and Hotzones with experience bonus, you should be able to pass through them. From 51 to around 65 you will have to spend some time getting the base of alternate abilities (AA) and make some experience with charming. Once you have gotten the AA Dire Charm in this range, you can learn which charmpet does what and how you can handle them. From 65 to 80 you will feel that your toon is increasing in power tremendously. Be sure to check very exactly what your spells do above from level 70, because even the standard spells of the Tashani line receive additional effects (e.g. damage bonus).

81 to 95 is more or less the tuning phase. Augments become very important, do the achievements and play progressions. Why? Because the tasks you can do molo bring you a lot of experience and AA additional to the experience of the kills, not to mention important rewards. Still there is defiant stuff available, but now visible quest armor becomes more interesting. From the Underfoot expansion upwards i would just go for them. Here a list fo what you should go for:

Defiant stuff, Old Man mcKenzie Tasks (Brews to buy stuff), Boomerang task stuff ( Silver and gold tokens to buy stuff, if you can find some others to do them), visbile quest armor from Underfoot and House of Thule expansion.

From 90 to 100 the highend game starts. You already should have around 3000 to 4000 AA if you want to have it easy. Veil of Alaris will surely be challenge, because the tasks are really hard sometimes, epsecially when not having a group. Reign of Fear/Heart of Fear the grade of difficulty is sinking, CotF expansion it is in free fall and simply and easy. I wouldnt recommend to try a named mob in VoA solo when you are like 95, while in CoTF you can blow most of the nameds down with a smile, though they will mostly drop cloaks.

Life starts to become comfortable for an Enchanter around 80-85 with 2500 to 4000+ AA. Many guilds are desperately looking for Enchanters, so that shouldnt be a big problem, if you decide to go the raiders track.

Feel free to send me an ingame tell or message here in forum if you have questions. Else i wish you a lot of fun playing the greatest and most challenging class of all in Everquest :)
  3. James Augur

Replying to what you said about newbie friendly - Newbie Friendly meaning I will not see many players at low levels so it will be very quiet for me soloing all alone.

- Thank you for the reply, I really hoope this works out and now I finally get to play the class I have always wanted to play. I will either play on Cazic Thule or oddly enough I am considering Zek PvP server. Yea I know Zek is low population, but I have been an old school Vallon Zek since the server iopen and when I left at the very end and I miss that style of play so I dunno yet, I must think on it.
  4. James Augur

Also I am told that with past patches charm spells on pets reduced the damage from pets by LOTS, is this still true?
  5. Fyrerock Augur

The Enchanter class is not the same class as it was in the old days, since many of our abilities have been giving out to the other classes. These days most classes can control at least one add, plus it is easy to pull singles in most zones these days.

It seems the key factor in doing well as an enchanter at high levels, is a person that not only does extremely well multitasking but enjoys doing it well over long periods of time. The enchanter that can charm very well plus pull for a group will make friends and get invites, the enchanter that created the class to CC and buff as it was for the first few years of the game will have a harder time.
  6. Camou the Persistent Augur

This is not correct. Everquest progression is not a linear thing, but sometimes very variable. When you compare the pets in expansions like UF and HoT, then the damage output is in relation to the pets in VoA, RoF and CotF higher. But the hitpoints of the mobs in RoF/CotF are in relation to VoA/HoT lower. While VoA you had really looong fights to get a named mob down, they have in CotF like a quarter of that amount - not in numbers, but in relation. E.g. with level 92 in VoA a named in beasts domain took me and the mage im group ing with like 10 -12 minutes permafight. In CotF you dont need longer than 2-3 minutes for a named.

Speaking of numbers:
    Charmpet in heroic adventures in CotF hit me for 12-14K max with double attack. As charmed pet the creature hits double attack for 10K per hit. While i have a DPS in group content of 11-18K in common the pet adds like 10-14K DPS.

A Mage pet in according level as a compare:
    Earth pet 4K DPS
    Air pet 5K DPS
    Water/fire pet like 6-7K.
    Necro pet (assume it was tank) 2-3K DPS.

When you charm a creature it is automatically hasted higher than with what you can offer as haste buff. The buff fades automatically when charm breaks, so you are not gonna be . Additional it has a fair chance to be stunned for like 4-6 seconds when charm breaks. Have runes up (which have a huge amount of HP for you additional, and a spell of the ward line, so the pet gets quickly mesmerized when it hits you). Also use Punt AA to keep it of you.

Charming is very easy and comfortable and when used to it, you are a pretty good solo/molo class.
  7. James Augur

holy crap! Chanters all the puller for groups? (runs and hides) :(

I am not sure I would do well as a puller since I have been gone for many many years. pulling requires the person to KNOW the area they are in and what to do.
  8. Fyrerock Augur

Yes your charmed pet now does less damage charmed even with haste on, then before it was charmed. Charmed pets are not tanks anymore, like they were back in pop, which is why reverse charming was created, where the goal is not to have an OP tank, but a tank that is going to lose the fight but we still get the experience by breaking charm at the right time.
  9. silku Augur

That is a bit misleading, parse wise at least. A mob that hits for 20k max will hit for 10k charmed. 12k max 6k charmed etc. It's roughly half. Still much better dps wise than other pets, but not as much as that.
  10. silku Augur

The thing about an enchanter as a puller is that he doesn't have to know the zone as well as any other class. Where as a bard / monk really has to know how mobs react, and how to get singles/drop aggro to get down to one or two manageable mobs.. a chanter can pull 3-6 with no problems. In fact, that's probably the most efficient way to pull to your group.. grab up to 6 (our ae mez will only hit 6 targets so you have to work a bit more with 6+) pul them to the group and 'rack and stack em'. That way the group is fighting 100% of the time, no downtime whatsoever (until there are no mobs in pull distance anyway.)
  11. Fyrerock Augur

We always had the tools to pull, but what we lack compared to the real pulling classes is multi use get out of jail card when things go bad. A monk, SK can FD almost any time they want, while a bard can fade a number of times in a row. The other classes do not consider us a pulling class, but in the right hands we can do a very good job at it.

Melee love to brag about big numbers against a named fight, and since melee buffs stack for the most part, they love to invite a class that can help them get those big numbers, and the enchanter is not one of those classes. Which is why those enchanters that seem to have the easiest time at it, are those that charm and pull for a group at the same time.
  12. Fyrerock Augur

This is only true when you have a lot of experience, plus all the right AA's and good equipment and last when the zone has low con mobs. I have both an enchanter and monk, and I have always start pulling a new zone with the monk, just because it is easier but then I lack the patients to take things slowly.
  13. silku Augur

We have two fades, insta cast ae mez, ae mem blur AA, single mem blur aa, mem blur spells, ae punt, single target punt, etc... we aren't hurting when it comes to get out of jail free cards.

I've heard enchanter pulling described many times.. you're the first I've ever seen imply it to be 'slowly.'
  14. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

You're getting a lot of high-level advise, some of which is wrong, and much of which may become wrong by the time you're high level!

The first thing you need to do is get your old account back. You can make a new character on that account and enjoy the free Silver membership, veteran rewards, etc. If you can't get it back, or if you want to multi-box, use this link to make new accounts:

https://recruit.soe.com/recruit/smlanding.action?iId=W326L2MUOQMYAXK8UDXQ&gamecode=EQ

That'll get you a bunch of free stuff including a horse, 14 XP potions, 8 sets of gear, a 20-slot bag and much more in /claim.

The next step is to make new characters on the servers you're considering and do /lfguild in game. You need to find, first of all, the right guild for when you're high level. If you want to raid, for instance, you need to find a raid guild and talk to their recruiter about your plans. Do they have room for an Enchanter? Does their schedule fit with yours?

It's possible that the high-level guild you find doesn't help players level up, so you'll need to find a helpful guild to join until you meet the requirements of the raid guild.

You want to be in a guild to get more groups. While you can learn to solo phenomenally well, that isn't going to be that helpful in a group or raid situation. You need to group where possible to learn the class in my opinion.
  15. James Augur

Found me a low level feeder guild into an 85+ raid guild that I joined, alrdy made a character, already started lvling my Chanter hehe life is good.
    silku likes this.
  16. Haegar Augur

Erm, one important thing

Chanters are the ones who can save the day. They are actually SUPPOSED to be the one to save the day and this is one reason why chanters are still wanted in groups.

So be sure to know everything you can know about the area you fight in. You need to know EVERYTHING.
    Which mob will summon ? Which one will be immune to root/charm/mezz ?

Lazy dumb chanters played as buff bots are the reason why our class lost its reputation...
    Camou the Persistent likes this.
  17. Camou the Persistent Augur

So true. Thumbs up.
  18. Casidia Augur

Old thread, but his post was not misleading.
    Animals hit harder as charm pets usually, already in Shards Landing you had some hitting for close to 10k and i'm pretty sure that they do not hit for 20k un-charmed cos that would be pretty crazy in SL, right?
  19. silku Augur

Have you parsed those 9-10k hitters in shards? I'm curious what they do hit for. I'll have to do some experimenting this week. I've never bothered to parse them, though I do see the pattern of roughly half damage in most zones.