Help Optimize My Play

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nicehook, Jul 22, 2016.

1. nicehook New Member

I've decided to commit to playing on Phinegal. Initially, I was turned off by the instanced content and the truebox ruleset. Still wish I could box two accounts from one pc or boxes were banned 100%. However, I have rolled an ogre warrior and am looking to optimize my path to 60.

Not very experienced at Everquest but have tanked for the last few years with a world class raid team in another mmo. Basically, am looking for a few links to some accurate in depth guides to the tank classes such as Sakuragi's guide, and the current and next set of raid encounters. Also, some general what zone when and equipment guides for Kunark/Velious much like Almers.

With some luck, pokemonGo and the generosity of other players I have inherited some decent twink gear which I will post in a few hours and hopefully get some feedback. Have two measly krono to spend as well.

Should I splurge on a laptop and two box a SHM or DRU to stay sane while leveling?

My intent is to eventually apply to a few of the more serious guilds but I'm sure I have a long road ahead with lots to learn.

Thanks,
  2. Kwami New Member

Do you care about the fact that all characters are running on 1 machine, or is it more that they're all on the same screen and being controlled by the same keyboard/mouse?

If you're machines are all wired using cat5e+, you can use Remote Desktop and use an AutoHotKey macro such as...

I set mine up to be like WinEQ2's defaults.. CTRL + ALT + # (which is what the ^!1, ^!2, ^!3 relate to.. where ^ is ctrl and ! is alt)

I didn't have much luck over wireless.. but wired I can't tell the difference from manually boxing using WinEQ2 on ragefire.
  3. Kwami New Member

A demo:

PM if you need any help getting it setup :D
  4. nicehook New Member

Thanks for the help, Kwami. It's mainly that I already have a two monitor set up and a powerful pc. Seems ridiculous to set up a second computer to run an ancient game. However, I'll do what I must and your solution is a great alternative and one I will probably pursue.
  5. nicehook New Member

6. nicehook New Member

Thanks for the reply, Kraznor! You are right in your assumption.

I see the wisdom in your response and even asked the warrior channel on Phine the same question. They replied most guilds run with 6 but, I'd bet, you are right and the ones I'm looking to join only run barebones and most definitely have no time for a newb war. The way I see it, I'll level up my WAR / DRU (best partner/PL box?) then PL an OT knight if I run into trouble finding a spot. Hopefully, if I grind it hard it won't take months!

Would love to hear what you are upset about regarding the "prog thing". Shoot me a PM and vent a little if you please.
  7. Auedar Elder

In terms of boxing a healer, a lot of your choice is based on how you want do box your toon. A druid is awesome due to the utility it brings, porting, and the fact that a druid can easily PL your next character o the mid 20s (it also brings decent nukes, sow, snare, and root)

Shamans are a solid choice as well since they have the ability to slow monsters, which makes many if not all group content pretty trivial 1-50. Shamans also have haste, and lots of stat buffs, so they are good at PLing melee classes that can dish out damage 20+.

Clerics are good in the fact that they get really nice buffs, have root, rez, and get the best heals. If you have a warrior/cleric combo you have a very bread and butter combination to start a group, outside of CC, which really isn't needed in groups until you get into dungeons with tons of adds.
  8. Kiani Augur

If you're looking to join a raiding guild, I'd still say choose whichever class you want. Yes, warriors are gear dependant, but TLP servers are known for attrition. If you join any solid raiding guild, you can gear up with rot loot to an extent and be dps until you're ready to tank.
  9. nicehook New Member

Thanks, if required, it will most likely be a DRU or SHM then. Will try to stick it out, don't think I'll have any problems finding a guild later but we'll see.

Currently grinding it out in UR but getting into MR Is a tough nut to crack. Any gear upgrades I can shop for with 2kr and ~1k plat while waiting?
  10. Kahna Augur

Being a warrior is fine for getting into a solid raid guild. Turnover is high on TLP's and we're always on the look out for someone who can learn and improve, pretty sure any guild worth it's salt is open to the same.
  11. uk6999 Augur

Turnover is very high. I swear some people quit because it rained that day or they couldnt find a group one night. You should have no problems finding a guild as long as you keep your options open and dont focus on just one.
  12. Trevalon Augur

This is ridiculous. TLP servers have a crazy amount of turnover for all classes including warriors. My guild recently recruited 2 warriors and is looking for 1 more right now. So to say warriors wont get into good guilds cause they already have warriors is just not true at all.

If this guy can get over the EXP rate and enjoys Phinny, then roll a Warrior - as expansions go on warriors will be rarer and rarer and everyone needs warriors.
  13. Strawberry Augur

14. nicehook New Member

Strawberry, don't leave me hanging! I feel like I missed something gold.
  15. nicehook New Member

Finished with MR today and heading up to FP tomorrow. Still looking for gear advice and where to level after BM. So far the grouping has been great. No real problems finding an UGUK, courtyard and MR group. Lots of twinks and boxers keeping it very safe and efficient.
  16. Risiko Augur

As far as gear, you're going to want a haste item. You can pick up a Flowing Black Silk Sash (waist slot) or Silver Chittenden Handwraps (hand slot). Both are very cheap at this point and give around 20% haste.

As a warrior, go with two 1 handed weapons. Generally, the faster you sing the more aggro you generate. Maybe try to buy a couple Lamentation swords. Then visit the melee aug vendor in your hometown to buy a DD augment to put in to each of them.

10-30 = Unrest
    30-45 = Lowerguk
    35-42 = City of Mist
    42-55 = Velks
    42-60 = Sebelis
    45-60 = The Hole (very under utilized by groups)
    55-60 = Sirens Groton (high risk and great exp)

Experience rate
    1-20 = Fast
    20-30 = Start to feel the grind
    30-40 = Really feeling it now
    40-50 = Holy crap batman somebody threw out the anchor!
    50-55 = OMG! What did I get myself into?
    55-60 = WTF! IS THE EXPERIENCE BAR MOVING AT ALL?!?!

As others have stated above, there's room for you in the 15+ raid guilds. Unlike other MMORPGS, EQ requires a lot of warrior tasks for raiding. You will get an ability called Defensive that is warrior only. It only lasts so long, and then it goes on a really long cool down. What the guilds do is have a warrior on defensive tanking the raid boss, and as that warriors defensive is about to go off, the next warrior in line pops their defensive, and takes agro of the raid boss. A great number of raid bosses take a very long time to kill, so the raid will cycle through a lot of warriors using defensive to tank the boss.
  17. Aenoan Augur

Disagree.

Haste items don't work until level 26 (iirc). So you are good to wear whatever you want until then.
    While leveling just get yourself a BABS one of the better 2handers for the early game especially for the price, i've seen them on vendors for around 100p so you should not have trouble finding one for cheap, finding one might be a different story. For Dual Wield find a Wakizashi of the Frozen Skies, for leveling its beast 78DD cold proc and 6/22 (procs at lv 20) It's a very fast little sword then get a smoldering brand it's 9/22 and procs at level 1.

Leveling. Just use the alma's guide or the in game zone guide.
    Otherwise:
    1-10 any newbie zone.
    10-20 Kurns/Runneye (might wanna check Runneye sooner though around 15ish) Warrens is very good too and very underrated.
    20-30 Uguk/Unrest my personal fav is HHK you can push 40 + off guards (nobles) but if you stick to gobs you get to bank, sell and buy safely. Overall it's one of the better xp spots out there at this level. 20-35 the place to be with great exp/fast to. Is IC / ToFS. An under used zone I like in this range for soloing / boxing (I don't box mind you) is Stonebrunt. Eastern Wastes is another zone.
    40-50 Lguk / SolB / Seb (key) HS (key) Velks
    45/50-60 SG / DN / Velks / WW / Seb

The only time exp ever felt slow was 1-20, on my ranger I went from 1 to 36 in 5 days of /played but a lot of that time was selling / trying to buy in CL And I was almost exclusively solo. I hit one bonus exp weekend which I got those last 6 levels but I was in lower part of ToFS fighting LB's and Blues. (2nd floor library) I probably could have done better in those 5 days but I just wanted to see how good the exp was when I solo'd.
    Should be able to hit 60 with that kind of play time. I really only devoted my weekends to playing.
  18. Risiko Augur

LOL. A lot of bad advise in there as well as experience rate lies. Ignore the troll.
  19. Aenoan Augur

It's advice* by the way and there is no experience rate lies. Just because you had a bad time, and rather spend your time as a doomsayer then actually quitting or playing. Doesn't make for advice bad, especially since most of the experience zones I listed are zones that I've seen people consistantly making groups for or found on Alma's. Not to mention places I've actually tried out after getting tired of grinding in the same 3 places, over and over again.
  20. nicehook New Member

Risiko - Aenoan,

Thanks for the advise! I linked to my magello page below the OP. Have a look there, I know there are some definite weak spots (shoulders anyone?)
  21. Aenoan Augur

Barbed Ringmail Chest
    Chokidai Hide Pauldrons 15sta / 55hp
    or if you need the ac Imbued Granite Spauldorns 20ac +10all res
    either or are pretty good.