Help me not suck at boxing a wizard!

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Weebaaa, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Weebaaa Augur

So, people always mention wizards when someone asks what to box for a DPS class.
    I've also grouped with some admirable wizards, who have put out very impressive numbers. So I finally got around to trying a Wizard box, because I needed a project, and destroying things is funsies.

The character has already acquired the relevant Damage AA and set myself up with some gear. Got to work on making myself some Macros, so I could, ya know, do what wizards do. Pew pew with few key presses.
    However I feel like I'm not doing it justice. Actually I know I'm not doing it justice. for example, on HA, I'm getting around 25-30K dps with it.
    Now I know I'm not going to see the great sustained numbers that better played/more experienced wizards put out, but I'm asking for suggestions and benchmarks, on what other players get out of a boxed alt like mine.

So I have two hotkeys that look like this:
    -----------Hotkey one----------------
    Claw of flameweaver
    Force of Will
    Ethereal Fuse
    Force of Flame
    Ethereal Skyblaze
    -----------Hotkey Two---------------
    Claw of the Flameweaver
    Force of Will
    Ethereal Skyblaze
    Force of Ice
    Cloudburst Stormstrike

So, are my hotkeys terrible?
    I know I'm guilty of not using my burns nearly enough, On a boss I do use them, and can pull very respectable numbers, so yes. I pledge to improve there, but is that my only crime?

When doing trash, do you stagger all your different burns? Or do you stack them (Primary and seconary burns) for maximum efficiency like on a full burn?

Thanks for any input!
  2. Sheaffer Augur

I haven't mained a wizard in a while but when I'm boxing mine I use frenzied devastation followed by arcane destruction every time they are up. Frenzied comes back quick so no reason to save it really. I save improved twincast for when I get a big pull or a named. I click arcane fury when I use ITC because I stopped maining my wizard right before it came out and I'm not too sure how effective it really is.

If you are hitting a macro with pauses then tabbing to another window I'd take the forces out. You'll get more damage from the two extra spells and have more time on the other chars.From what I understand they now use ITC counters anyway and as such are probably not worth it. Could be wrong.

Make a burn hotkey that takes out claw and goes

Fuse
    Skyblaze
    Hoarfrost

Harvest everytime it's up since claw will refresh it.

This isn't an optimal set up but this will increase your dps. When claw procs twincast focus on the wiz so you can cast as many spells as possible. The real key is to keep frenzied and arcane up as much as possible since they refresh quick. I usually hit second spire when I first hit frenzied but if you want you can save it to use for a big pull or named.
  3. Brohg Augur

I concur with this advice
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

Apologies if you mentioned this and I missed it, but I'd either mix a shocking vortex in there after claw, or be sure to cast it before firing off these macros.
  5. Weebaaa Augur

OK. I'm going to re-make the hotkeys and see what I get.
    IT would definitely benefit to have a hotkey that lasts longer, so that may help!
  6. Millianna Augur

There is a website outside of these forums that has an excellent guide to boxing a wizard. My hint would be to have two hotkeys one for burst and one for sustained. You don't want long macros - keep them somewhat short. The biggest issue with boxing a wizard is basic AAs - you want to max out all the basic def stuff and DPS before spending too much on activated AAs. Another hint is too use your AAs that deal extra damage when they are up - don't save them.
  7. Raidarr Journeyman

[QUOTEThere is a website outside of these forums that has an excellent guide to boxing a wizard.][/QUOTE]

I would be interested to have a link to this site please. Thank you in advance!
  8. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

This is just my advice, but boxing a wizard.. you won't be able to maximize dps.
  9. Brohg Augur

Do you mean to imply that there is some class that can be maximized while boxing? I don't understand
  10. kizant Augur

What's your other classes?