Hello Norrath, seeking advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by That Guy, Jun 20, 2017.

1. That Guy Journeyman

Hello hello out there,

I had a few questions and would like the imput/advice from the veterans out there. I have been gone from the game for quite some time (last serious play was in omens i believe?), i did make it back for a short while after that but it was quite long ago.

I am thinking about returning to the game, but I have no idea which server to join or what class to play. I once had a necro main back in the day, but i would like something a bit more desired/party friendly/Needed. But onward with the questions!

1.) TLP vs Other servers? I've only read about this time locked thing, I assume it is "all" content is locked, such as updated models, the race/class combos, and so on, but does this extend to the quality of life things as well, such as the Bazaar, mounts, mercenaries, Veteran rewards, and so on? What accessible tools are there on TLP servers, vs other servers? Or is it simply "all unreleased expansion content is not on TLP" servers?

2.) I have no idea which server to dip my feet into. Any suggestions? I am an EST player. Mostly just looking for a place to meet people and make some friends.

3.) I know this one is asked a lot, but, what to play? Is grouping still near mandatory, or is the game more solo friendly these days? Currently i am debating on a SK or a BST. I've always liked the SK class but they were everywhere from what I remember and i believe they could be slow soloers at higher levels. I also seem to recall that BST could be difficult to play to full potential. Can't say I have played much of these classes but I am willing to learn! I have looked for guides on these two but the majority of information out there seems to be old and/or out of date.

And by the way, I do not intend to do the heroic character thing. I don't mind slogging through the lower levels to both learn how to play a class well as well as just enjoy the old zones and relive good times. I might turn on autogrant AA just to speed up the grind, but other than that, will most likely level the old fashioned.

Thanks for your time in advance, any imput and veteran wisdom is welcomed. Apologies for the long post.

-Guy
  2. Aanuvane Augur

not an expert, but I'll try to get the feedback started for you.

1) https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server It's a long post, but a lot of your questions are answered.

2) I don't feel qualified to help with that question. I've dabbled in the TLP servers, but found it's not really for me these days and I focus mainly on Povar. I don't know which server is the most populated. Right this minute, Drinal, Bristlebane and Cazic Thule appear to be the most "full" regular servers.

3) Live servers solo/molo definitely possible up to a point - I believe higher end content still requires a couple of players/mercs, but you can also play multiple accounts at one time if you're so inclined (except on True box TLP servers)
  3. Yruc Augur

Welcome back! You did not say if you are using your original account or not. If you aren't I would suggest you take some time and get access to it as it will have veteran rewards which are really nice (especially on the live servers) It really is worth it.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217481518-How-do-I-recover-my-account-

On to your questions:

1. TLP (Time Locked Progression) - means after an amount of time EQ expansions will be applied to that server. The 2 newest ones (Agnarr and Phinigle) are true box servers meaning only 1 account per computer. No veteran rewards allowed on the TLP servers, the only thing from other expansions are global things such as loot and effects on loot and the new Freeport (gag). The bazaaar will unlock when The Shadows of Luclin unlocks (already has on Phinigle and will at some point for Agnarr)

Agnarr just release and only content available is Classic EQ (1999-2000) (with some changes) Agnarr will only go up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath era and then stop with expansions.

Here is info on Agnarr - https://www.everquest.com/news/agnarr-progression-server-faq-may-2017

Another popular TLP is Phinigle which will go through ALL the expansions and is currently upto POP

Here is info on Phinigle - https://www.everquest.com/news/true-box-progression-server-faq-phinigel

2. With the TLP servers you will be able to find groups fairly easily. With the Live servers as most of them are so old and most of the population is 100+ it is hard (not impossible) but hard to find groups for the lower levels (anything below 85). So you will most likely have to solo with mercs. Mercs are great leveling tool until about 60-65.

Check this list and pick a server with the highest population during your normal play times. It just gives a low / med / high population levels, not great but can help avoid the lower population servers which will be harder to find groups.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/status?locale=en_US

3. Grouping on live is not mandatory, though you will most likely want to at least 2 box (but are not forced to) experience some of the content. As for the TLP servers grouping makes things a lot easier unless you are one of the solo classes (Druid / Necro / Mage)
    As for what to play, play what you want. I would recommend you pick a few of the classes you think you might want to and run through the tutorial with them to get a taste of the class.
    SK - good tank class for either live or TLP servers and BST can not currently play on Agnarr but can on Phinigle

Hope that helps some
  4. Aurastrider Augur

Each TLP server is a little different in regards to the specific rule set in each, what content is unlocked and what features are unlocked currently. There is a link in the TLP threads in a pin that will describe the different TLP servers in terms of the rule sets and what expansion they are on. For specific question I would make a post in the TLP area as people from each server there will probably be able to answer those questions better for you. I do know that a lot of things like the bazaar, mounts and such are not available until the expansion was released although if its a quality of life improvement such as the new advanced loot system it is there from the start.

As far as what server it really depends on what you are looking for. I would read the different types of TLP servers and compare them to the live server. Live you have two special servers with Zek being PVP and FV where almost all items are tradeable. FV has the highest population of the live servers and probably the highest sustained population of any server in game over and extended period of time. The question you need to ask yourself first is "do I want to only play classic EQ or do I want something new?". That should help you with your first decision to eliminate either TLP or live from the equation. Each has its pros and cons. TLP will have easier time grouping but you are stuck in older content. Live there are less people and its more difficult to find groups at lower levels but you have all the content (assuming you buy the newest expansion) and features available to you and plus you can always go kill in older content for that sense of nostalgia when you want.

As far as class goes pick something you enjoy. SK is a great solo class although after playing a ranger for years their dps is a little painful at times. To offset this SK's swarm which the idea is instead of killing one or two mobs very fast you kill several mobs at a moderate speed and hopefully you end up with close to the same kill count. Never played a bst but the good ones that I know seem to enjoy the class although there does not seem to be many of them. Honestly read the different class descriptions and just mess around with different classes. If you still have your old account you probably have "silver status" if you have not went all access and can make 4 toons to play with. Also if you have loyalty tokens you can buy character dolls from the loyalty merchant in POK and expand your current character slot count by 3. I hope this helps and welcome back to the game.
  5. That Guy Journeyman

Hello once again.

Thank you all for taking the time to read as well as your informative responses. I have one further final question if you please,

After reading up, it looks like Agnar is the newest popular server and is going back to the roots of the game. I assume then, that race selection is more important than later expansions, with lower level gear than the later expansions?

It would make sense to me, but I just wanted to check. Sort of stinks no beastlord on some of those older servers, but still wanted to ask.

Thanks once again.

- Guy
  6. Yruc Augur

Yes Agnarr is the newest TLP server it is currently in classic and will be for another few weeks and then Kunark will release. Agnarr will only go up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath and there will be no more expansions.

Race will matter a little since there is no POK currently but once POK comes out it won't matter much at all. Really the only issues with race is ease of selling but with Origin it isn't to big of a deal. Also I believe there will be race change potions you can by from the DB Store and use those to change your race at a later time if you want.
  7. Anhari Augur

Only other issue to consider with race selection would be starting city.
    Please forgive my spelling it is atrocious!
    If I neglect a race or tell you erroneous information on the starting cities/areas pelase forgive me. Some of this is from memory, and someone with Alzheimer's sometimes forgets :p

Races not available on Agnarr at start:
    • Draakin (Will never get this race since it released with Seeds of Destruction)
    • Frogliks (Releases with Legacy of Yekesa, which launces just before PoP)
    • Vah Shir (Releases with Luclin, the 3rd expansion. Will add beast lords at this time)
    • Iksar: Release with Kunark (In just a few weeks!). - Note this race, EVERYONE HATES! initially at least, but this race has arguably the best newbie zone in the early game (Field of Bones), although I feel that Luclin has the best give the vastness of the pit and the re-pop timers there.

Evil Races are not tolerated in good cities and visa versa.

Human:
    • East/West Freeport - abundant newbie zones on either east or west. Bank only in West.
    • South/North Qeynos: Bank in S. Qeynos, newbie zone in N.Qeynos. Great zone to farm snake eggs in
    Half-Elf, Wood Elf
    • Kelethin/Greater Feydark. - I feel a smaller newbie zone, but there are two in zone area's.
      • Naviagting in Kelethin can be tricky.
    • Surfall Glade: Newbie zone is in Qeynos hills, but you are better off running up to N. Qeynos. (Bind in S. Qeynos to limit running back to zone if you die).
    • Bank Is in SG, but you can use the one in S. Qeynos as well.
    • Progression in levels is a bit tight here, only really goes 1-10 in QH, but Blackborough will take you to your 20's.
    Dwarf:
    • Kaladin - Two zones, bank is in the second (south?) zone. Newbie zone is outside in Butcherblock Mountains.
      • Level progression 1 - 20 in zone, 15-20's in Unrest just two zones over.
      • Plenty of low level undead to collect bones. remember to turn these in to the Paladin Guild master for small exp. gains and small armor pieces that you can wear and/or sell.
      • Gotta love the chessboard. One of the nicest area's in the early/classic game. Level 10'ish before starting here.
    High Elf:
    • Felwith:
    • Two zones. If you are not an Int. caster, i.e. a cleric, paladin, warrior, you start in N.Felwith, otherwise your guild is in S. Qeynos. (Not sure about where the Warrior Guild is since I have never played an High Elf Warrior.)
    • Newbie zone is in Greater Feydark. You can alternate between Kelethin and Felwith area's until you get to around level 5, when you either want to go to Butcher, or move to Orc Hill then Crushbone.
    Barbarian:
    • Halas: All characters start here. New players use the Find feature to get around until you get the lay of the land. It can be a bit tricky.
      • Newbie zone is in Everfrost Peak. Start with Decaying Skeletons, wooly spiders, wolf's and Goblin Whelps. Watch out for the three Composer Skeleton's. They are much higher level (7+) and will wipe the tundra with you.
      • Speaking of the tundra, you can move over here around level 6 or so, or choose to go to BB and pull gnoll trains.
        • Please be politer and /shout TRAIN TO XX ZONE

Gnomes:
    • Ak'Anon: One of the most confusing zones initially, but once you run around it a bit, gets much easier. Everything you need is in this one zone, Banks, Spell Vendors, General Merchants, Evil guild area, etc. Find is your Friend!
      • Newbie zone is in Steam Font Mountains, but I feel is a bit small. There is a nice progression in levels here though, and a budding smith can pick ups lots of rusty weapons off of the skeletons and kobolds.
      • Several good camps in the area.
      • Melderth the Mina tour is in this zone and is higher level. He is used for the Hero Bracers quest, so is usally camped in the earaly release of the game.
    Half-lings:
    • Rivervale: Single zone for all your character needs.
    • Newbie zone is Misty Thicket
    • Split into two areas
      • Rivenvale side of "the wall" New character area. Highest level mobs are closest to the wall. There are guards there that might help in a pinch, but don't always count on it.
      • Runny Eye side (North? of the Wall). Higher level spiders, wolfs, bandits, orcs and other critters including Goblins who wander out of their lair (Runny Eye).
      • Kithkor Forest is to one side of Rivenvale. Be aware that at night it is populated with High level undead. even running the ridge (hugging the wall) does not always help as some of these creatures have a very large agro range. Either bring high level friends if you are trying to get to High Hold Pass or to the Commonlands at night, or wait till around 8:00-9:00 am (game time).
    Dark Elf's:
    • Neriak: Players start in one of three Quarters each a different zone. I don't play dark elf's very often so can't really comment on which class starts in which quarter.
    • Newbie area is the Neriak Forest, just outside the city. There are guards here to help rescue you when things go bad.
    • Several good camps
    • Progress either into the Commonlands or to Lavastorm Mountains. I would suggest Commonlands 1st, the to Lavastorm and eventually Solsuk eye, Najana, Nagafins Lair etc. Access to one of the two major Dragons is from Lavastorm.
    Erudite:
    • One of two starting zones
    • Erudin (and E. Palace) for good/neutral characters of all classes except Necro and Shadow Knight.
    • Paineal (or Old P?) - Necromancer and Shadow Knights, along with some evil aligned classes. This zone also leads to the Hold (Ruins of Old Paineel).
    • Newbie area is in Toxilla Forest. Again there are two distinct leveling area's here either side of the river.
    • On the "North" side of the river are the higher level mobs, including a nice selection of spiders and spiderlings for your early silk needs. Tailors should love this zone early on.
    • Watch for the bandits early on as the will agro and are just a bit tough for an early character;
    Trolls:
    • Gukta: Part of Inalooth Swamp.
    • Newbie Area is the Swamp where you will find Kobolds and an assortment of water born critters. Save any eggs you might harvest.
    • Move to South Ro as you level up. Rathe Mountains will be a bit too high until you get into your early/mid 20's. So. Ro has several low level to early teen camps of Orcs to hone your combat sills on.
    Ogres:
    • Oguk : Nicely laid out zone with some very nice Ogres (if you can get past their nose and a$$ picking).
    • Newbie area: Ferrott. Spiderlings, Undead Skells, Lizards and Alagators are good hunting here. Watch out for the lizards around Cazic Thule as they are higher level, and CT is a level 30's doungen.
    • Fear is also off of this zone, so watch out for the Specters in the area around the entrance.
    Yruc likes this.
  8. Rhaage Augur

and halflings get 5% exp bonus.

ogre's cannot be melee stunned from the front.

iksar & troll get slight regen bonus (not likely to be relevant outside of Agnarr)
    iksar get AC bonus (also likely to be irrelevant to anyone but Agnarr)

looking at the top ranked magelo profiles for the given classes you will likely see that at end game, nearly everyone is maxed on stats and there's a mix of all races.