Haven't playee since 02....

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Mrdoomed, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Mrdoomed New Member

Like the title says i quit back in 02 because the game was becoming to ez mode with fast travel, no more corpse runs, mercs etc and thought i could find better.
    Well 16 years later im back because this is still the best choice in a mmorpg right now.
    I admit that as soon as i heard the first spells cast and the auto attack music i had a trip down memory lane lol.
    I have to restart because i cant remember my old info so i wasn't sure what server would be best for a brand new player. Im playing f2p for now so no tlp server for me as of now plus it seems they still will progress to t least pop expansion which was the point in which i started not liking eq direction.

My big questions is how much of my time will be spent alone because everyone else is max level or boxing an alt? I chose the FV server in hopes it is harder but im guessing there are still pop books everywhere allowing fast travel etc so im not sure ill even see new players because they will all just go to whatever zones give the most xp.
    Any tips or hints on best server/game mode for a player who liked eq before plane of power and who enjoyed the way people used to come together naturally in groups in zones all working together rather than just player leveling each other to max level asap.
    Thanks guys.
  2. Azzamen2018 New Member

Being honest with you, other than on the latest TLP server Coirnav you will spend all if not most of your time alone soloing or boxxing if you have capable. Between Hatchery and Gribbles missions thats actually a pretty fast grind but you will find very few people grinding outside those. The game is still a lot of fun for me and it has drug me back every time I've left but there is no reason for the higher level to hang out with lower now unless they are quickly pling an alt
  3. Yruc Augur

First off, welcome back. 2nd try and get your old account back.

Go to here,https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217481518-How-do-I-recover-my-account-
    go through the auto things and if that doesn't work open a ticket and provide as much info as you can. It is worth getting the account back for the veteran rewards.

Playing on the live servers, you will play alone for the first 100 levels or so. You might occasionally find someone power leveling an alt and catch a ride with them, but otherwise plan on solo / molo to 100. That's why a bunch of people box and to fill out a a group to xp with. You can check in the guild recruitment forums and possibly find a guild that will take time to group with you as you level.

Friona Vie and Xegony I believe are the 2 more populated live servers currently.

If you are an all access member (paid subscription) then you might consider one of the TLP servers to play on. https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server

The newest one is Coirnav and is currently in Kunark and will go through all the expansions until it catches up to live.

Agnarr is the 2nd newest one and Legacy of Ykesha launches today which adds Frogloks as a playable race, so there will be groups from 1-65 for awhile. Agnarr only goes up to LDON expansion and then it no longer unlocks any more expansions.

There are other TLP servers I don't know much about them (Phinigel / Lockjaw / Ragefire)

If you think the quality of life changes that have been made (no corpse runs / easier transportation / mercs) are for you, you don't have to use the transport stones and you can take off all your equipment until you get back to your corpse. You could also head over to P99 which still has that and only goes to velious

Good luck
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  4. oldandnasty Augur

Come to Test Server, play through the tutorial to get your feet wet, get the armor set, bank your inventory items then /testbuff to 25 for a couple of bags with gear and spells. You will be all access on test and have all the Vet rewards. We have started a progression guild "Reborn Progression" and are currently raiding 60-65 levels zones and would be happy to have you, if interested. Test has a great community and many people sell gear for 1 pp in the bazaar or give it away in Gen chat. If you decide to come over look for toons with the Hamer name and I will donate some starter cash.
    Felicite and IblisTheMage like this.
  5. mkb5683 New Member

While this sounds like a great idea for some people returning, he said he left when the game became too easy and was worried that it would still be that way. Jumping from tutorial to level 25 and getting free gear seems like the exact opposite of what he was looking for
  6. Mrdoomed New Member

Yeah im nkt at all worried about how fast i can level or how great my gear is. Im more looking at how many people will be experiencing the fun with me at any given time. If if solo in a zone it was great to see dozens of others running around doing the same. It made the world seem real and alive. The minute they did the PoK and removed the need for players to gather at druid rings and actually talk it removed the best part of the game. It instantly became everyone just LFG on PoK then instantly teleporting to the spot and grinding it out. It alsobstarted the "meta" of how much DPS yorlur group could do was the only thing that matter rather than how much fun you had.
    Being rejected from groups because my mage didnt use the best gear in game made the game feel forced and bad.
    P99 got me interested in eq again but ill be honest when I say the steps to get to play it are above my head lol.
    Guess ill stick around the live server forba bit just to reminisce.
  7. Azzamen2018 New Member

That actually sounds interesting to me
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

This happens when you are in a guild at max level; the community, the grouping, the fire in the blood when you are 50 people doing your best to beat a raid... No other MMOs are able to carry this unique culture, and give these unique experiences.

It is truly awesome.

The problem is that it requires an investment, that current players have ˋpaidˋ, and that you will have to catch up to. Also, it requires that people do their best, because for a group of players that do not put in the effort, the game becomes (too?) hard, or very hard. So if you don’t want to focus on dps, then maybe you should play a cleric. Clerics are very sought after at max level (nothing new there) in groups and raids. The other priests are also fine, but again, they are 3 tier dps (which is quite good).

So, no matter what, you need hundreds of hours to get to the great EQ that exists, and that we love. Any shortcuts to these are a good idea, because they will reduce the risk of burning out before getting there.

First priority is therefore not a server, but a guild. FV has a big guild that might accept you, and FV is a good server, in the way that it has an XP bonus. I think I have heard that the prices for gear are very high on FV, maybe someone can cornfirm.

Second, you will have to go All Access to get there, and to play with people. F2P is fine if you are only playing by yourself, but if you want to get to the place where the most people are, and are playing together, then you need All Access.

Third, I would suggest you get a Heroic character, to get to 85 fast. From there, guildies might let you join xp groups (being a cleric would likely help ;-)), if they do, then things can move really fast (like 85 to 90 in an evening). If not, then the same could take weeks. Again, for the things you are after, you need a large well functioning guild.

Fourth, there is a thing now called Autogrant, it will carry you halfway through your AA, and get you to 10.000-13.000, depending on class. This means that you should have all xp towards levelling until lvl 106, then switch all to AA, at least until 20k. Autogrant is for All Access only.

Fifth, learn your class, and keep learning. What is the best thing to do in a given situation changes over time, changes with different situations, etc etc. If you are adverse to adapting to changing challenges, then EQ is not for you. Nerfs and boosts are a continous part of the journey, and it will hit everyone. Also, if you think that NOW you master your class, then enjoy it for a few weeks, and then come to your senses :) there is always more to learn, people to learn from, plays and synergies to use, etc.

Everquest is today a much better game than it was in 2002, and it is very very far from being easier. QoL, Quality of Life elements like death recovery and travel are easier, but the rest is... not.

Welcome back to The Greatest Game Ever Made.

Everquest is more than a game, it is an idea :) (which movie am I paraphrasing?)
    Yruc and Mary Poppins like this.
  9. Mary Poppins Augur

The Warcraft movie?
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

Gladiator (Rome is an idea)
  11. Kolani Augur

This is true, with a caveat. Current raid, chase and twink gear is very high, current group gear can be acquired relatively cheap, I got a set of Scaled sleeves for 200k last night.
  12. Mrdoomed New Member

I completely agree with so much of what you said. I will argue that most so called quality of life things are good however but the rest i agree.

I've already in just a couple hours of playing found a group that power leveled me to15th level almsot and there was actually talking to each other in the group even though we couldn't speak each others languages.
    Im dying for Pantheon to come out because its a 2018 eq clone with eqs blessing but old eq will tie me over for sure...hell i might even stay.
    I obviously dont have a sub yet and wont for some time,because imbstill testing things..plus i used to have all the expansions up to the one past the frog one and i dont want tobpay for them twice.
    Regardless if I play long term or not i can say hands down this is STILL the best game and community ive ever seen since the internet started.
  13. IblisTheMage Augur

I am not convinced that Pantheon will be a good thing for “The Idea”. Each time a new ramification of EQ has come out, it has sliced a part of the community and culture that is Everquest, beyond the actual game. EQ 2, server splits and mergers, and even the eq next landmark, etc.

I basically don’t think thar the people behind Pantheon are able to unite the people who carry the culture. If and when it launches it will get a lot of people, ex-eq and eq people, and it will serve them for a period, with the excitement of the new and shiny. Then it will likely start to corrode, go through some rythmic contractions and expansions, and we will have another fraction living alongside EQ and EQ2.

MMOs EQ and WoW were exceptions, and there is currently no reason to believe that the people behind Pantheon can beat the market.
    Shanarias likes this.
  14. Shanarias Augur

I tend to agree with your reasoning here. However, I think any traction it gets in any mass media could possibly give Pantheon some traction. But on the whole, as you said, EQ and WoW are exceptions, and have been around long enough to actually change the way so many of us view online gaming. Time will tell.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  15. Snack Augur

Hatchery?
  16. Azzamen2018 New Member

starting at lvl 20 you can do a mission in Pok for exp, as long as you don't kill beyond a certain point there is no timer to wait on. Excellent exp, really crappy loot. Did those till 75 and leveled really fast. The mission is Hatching a Plan, from Destrea Kinmare right next to the bank
    Shanarias likes this.
  17. Snack Augur

Thanks, hadn't heard of that one.