Harmony Vs Drifting Line - Where did frenzy radius go?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Ratbo Peep, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Ratbo Peep Augur

Just noting that the "upgrades" to my Harmony of Nature will soon eliminate the "frenzy radius" portion. What good is "reaction radius" without it?
    Sure, you can get by a MoB to pull something - but what about on the way back?
    Or is the "harmony arrow" type AA supposed to "fix" this" ??

-Ratty
  2. Borek-VS Augur

Frenzy radius was dropped from the cleric pacify line (and the new paladin ones) in, I think, SoF. Pacify was considered to be too powerful.
  3. Diptera Augur

IIRC (and this is going back a number of years), the devs perceived there to be a problem with people using the Pacify spells to bypass mobs, when their intended use was to allow you to pull a mob without getting agro from it's neighbours, not to run past (and through) all the raid trash to get to the target more easily. (no, I don't have a citation on that, it would have been on the old-old-forums at the time!)
  4. Borek-VS Augur

That's how I remember it. Pacify had been broken for a long time, then was fixed in Luclin/PoP (thereabouts), and was really great for corpse runs. Then they broke it again - probably at some point before SoF, now I think about it.
  5. Ratbo Peep Augur

Got it - thanks!
    So after "Harmony" gets too old to use - what options does a Range have to successfully pull a single MoB from a pack? Or did they throw the babies out with the bathwater?
    Also, if the new version still kills the Reaction Radius of a MoB - how does that avoid people using it to walk past the trash MoB's??
    -Rast
  6. Borek-VS Augur

There was a "single-pull with arrow" AA somewhere in 81-85. That was nerfed not long after introduction, but is still a good pulling tool.

There are also various upgrades in the harmony line.
  7. Gladare Augur

You have it backwards.
    Harmonious Arrow works great as long as you only expect it to do what the description says. AE harmony around your target and auto pulls. There can be some los issues. If one mob can't be seen by your target, the lull won't land on that mob. The pre-nerf HA was broken and extremely overpowered. It deserved to be fixed.
  8. Ratbo Peep Augur

I have something backwards - LOL!!
    Let me see if I have this right now that you corrected me.
    Frenzy Radius = walking past the MoB without drawing aggro.
    Reaction Radius = a MoB aggroing off another MoB's aggro.

Do I have that right now?
    Long story short - can a Ranger still pull a single out of a group with minimal headache?
    -Rat
  9. Gladare Augur

10. Dre. Altoholic

Omens of War changed the game for pacify abilities.

Pacification
    CLR/65 ENC/62
    1:Frenzy Radius (1/65)
    2:Reaction Radius (1/65)
    3:pacify

Plactate
    ENC/67
    1:Reaction Radius (10/70)
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I have always been big on trying to get people to stop calling the latter a pacify, and instead call it a Lull which is what it was initially referred to by the Dev's at the time of the change. It makes it considerably easier explaining why they don't do the same thing when you stop calling them the same thing. For me:
    • Pacify lines reduce Aggro and Assist ranges (do they lower hate too? I don't really remember what the 3: Pacify did).
    • Lull lines reduce Assist ranges.
  12. Lenowill Augur

The distinction you're suggesting doesn't actually make sense. The spell that is literally named Lull (and Harmony, and various others) all do the same thing that Pacify does: they lower both aggro radius and assist radius.

The only difference is that abilities of this type with a level 65 or lower level cap can do both, while abilities of this type with a level 66 or higher cap can only reduce the assist ("reaction") radius. I don't currently know of a single ability (or ability line) that violates that rule of thumb.

To the best of my knowledge this has always been this way. (I only started playing in Velious though, so take that with a grain of salt.) Harmony was just cool because it was an AoE paci, which kicked butt for splitting camps efficiently back in "the day."

Correspondingly, I have heard "paci," "lull," and "harmony" all used interchangeably for this type of spell for as long as I've been in the game.

The change toward modern (OoW+) lull spells only reducing assist range was indeed implemented (as others have already said) to make it harder to skip past see-invis trash in raid content (usually for the sake of cherry-picking a boss mob and then getting out, potentially gaining a lot of loot with minimal time investment).
    Toquillaw likes this.
  13. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I had never heard anyone call anything a Lull until the Dev who announced the changes with OoW used it, and only did so when referring to the new line, referring to the older things as the Pacify line and Harmony lines. I admit I never bothered to look up if there was any spell called Lull so I guess that is bad on my account.
    As far as people using the terms interchangeably, doesn't mean that they should. More times than not the people used the one they were familiar with or they were talking about something and only know one of the terms. Pacify line is characterized by three things: Frenzy radius (Aggro range) reduction, Reaction radius (Assist range) reduction, and Pacify (Hate reduction, I believe). After looking it up, the Lull line is characterized by 2 things: Frenzy radius reduction and Reaction radius reduction. The Harmony line is characterized by being an outdoors only Lull. I suppose that from now on I will call the new lines Dul(icfy) and Fog for the anywhere and outdoors only versions.
  14. Ratbo Peep Augur

None of the above is correct. In fact it was thinking like this that had me "bass ackwards" as to what they did. No need to look them up - this thread has the correct info - at least enough to set me straight.

-Rat
  15. Gladare Augur

16. Koutarou Elder

In the POP days I could bypass all trash via lull spells all the way to the raid boss in 2 of the 4 BoT towers. No reason a whole raid couldn't do the same thing as long as everyone knew the path and stepped lively.
  17. Crystilla Augur

Similar story Koutarou - when my guild was working the Plane of Justice trials, I was the one who helped them and other guild players get the flag from Mauvin (Mavuin?) afterwards. Just me and them - pacify worked so that I could walk them down what we called "Death Row" (that long horizontal hallway with the cells on either side leading to Mauvin's room). Hardly ever got aggro unless I got a resist or someone didn't walk in my path.
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Sorry, but all of what I said in the post you quoted was correct.
  19. Ratbo Peep Augur

You're right. I had Lull confused with the Fog.
    That said - there really is no "Lull Line" at all - and it's the Dev that you heard who actually inserted the misnomer into the conversational mix at all. Lenowill kinda cleared that up.
    Calling the new line a "lull line" defies the characteristics of the actual Lull spell. And IMHO continues to foster the nomenclature confusion I just fell into.
    For Rangers I tend to call the new line the "Fog Line" - keeping with the tradition of using the 1st spell of the line as the name.

-R
  20. Gladare Augur

I just blanket everything lull and differentiate the two ranger lines as indoor or regular. I guess I'm opposed to calling it a fog