Happy National Pet Day! Tell me about your pets!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Qwalla, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Qwalla Developer

The animal companions in our lives, whether furry or scaly or feathery, have a profound impact on us. If you have a moment, can you tell me about your pet, past or present? I'd like to know their 1) name, 2) species, and 3) a summary of them, no longer than 5 words (and let's keep the language PG!).

For example, I have a cat named Cecil. He's a "tiny monster with sharp teeth."
    You can get creative with it :p

Not only would I love hearing about your animal friends for personal reasons, I have plans to use this information for story writing reasons... ;)
    Sancus, Aiona, FippyDarkpaw99 and 7 others like this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

We bought our 7 year old daughter a golden doodle last summer for her birthday. It is now 11 months old. They say a dog is man's best friend, but this dog has caused me more anxiety, stress, anger and unhappiness than any sort of love. And the problem is all me- she is a great puppy, I am just a bad dog owner.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Our sweet Shuma long hair cat passed last year. We saved her from being put down when our vet called and said this cat has more years in it, but no one to take her. And we worked through her weird health issue, and she had several years in our quiet garden.

She always had my back. She was my "I have to stay home, my cat needs me" excuse.

*edit*
    confession, got a little teary and failed to describe Shuma. She was Gray with Pinkish and almost fleshy color spots, and a few lighter almost white spots, and a Pink nose. The softest longest fur. Like others have said, she loved early morning coffee and game time in the lap.
    Grove, Rijacki, zylle and 3 others like this.
  4. Lyyfe New Member

1) Kermit (My dad always wrote it Cur Mutt because he was just a stray kind of mix)
    2) Kermit (the Dog) (My brother, the oldest of the kids was into Sesame Street)
    3) Benji look-alike and best comforter
    Rijacki, zylle, MasterMagnus and 3 others like this.
  5. zylle Robot Death Monkey

Taylor (Rat Terrier dog): Best Old Man Dog Ever.
    He was an old soul kind of dog his whole life, and he was the best first dog as an adult I could have ever had. He never met anyone human, canine, or feline that he disliked.

Abby (Parson Russell Terrier mix dog): Big Sharp Pointy-toofed Snuggle Butt.
    She is a wire-haired terrier, she's chosen my husband as her human of choice, and she was the 2014 National Barn Hunt Versatility Champion. Taylor helped her by being her teammate for the Team portion at Nationals.

Bailey (Cocker Spaniel/Chihuahua/Mixy Mix dog): Beagle Butt.
    For the first 12 years of his life we thought he was a Beagle/Terrier mix. Imagine our surprise when we did a dna test and it came back mostly Chihuahua/Cocker and no beagle or terrier at all. He was sassy with other dogs, but a great snuggler.

Trinity (Parson Russell Terrier mix dog): Tiny Bull in a China Shop.
    This dog just turned 14 and she acts like she's 2. She has zero concept of where her body is because she's too excited about EVERYTHING. *BOING* *RUNRUNRUN* *BOING* She has earned her Iron Dog award for 10 consecutive years of racing in the sport of Flyball.
    Nennius, Qwalla, Rijacki and 2 others like this.
  6. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Scout is a black cat with a lot of dog-like characteristics. He's deaf but fearless and loves meeting people and goggies and going out on a lead to parks, farmers' markets and other such. He loves exploring in "scout-mode", but his favourite place to visit is the kitty treat store where they spoil him while we pick up cat food supplies. For a deaf cat, he can be very vocal and opinionated about everything, especially when he thinks the neighbours should be giving him attention but they walk out of his view from the window.

Years ago, my previous pet was a dog named Apollo with a lot of cat-like characteristics. Apollo was a beagle-pointer and my companion when I lived in Germany and after my divorce. I was devastated when he was taken from me. It took me more than 2 decades before I felt ready to have another fuzzy companion. Scout is that companion.
    Grove, MasterMagnus, zylle and 3 others like this.
  7. 7arami Irritably sharp-tongued.

₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎ *ᵖᵘʳʳ*
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

I have a Black cat named Eddie who is very vocal and friendly to almost everyone. I have a Female Pitt bull named GIGI. My ex wife got her as a pup and i was not to happy because of the breed and im not really a dog person. She is the most loving dog I have ever seen. The mail lady reaches over the fence and pets her. People who come over pet her. She barks at the door if someone comes so is a great watch dog but if someone came in they would just get licked to death.
    Qwalla, Aiona, MasterMagnus and 3 others like this.
  9. Aanuvane Augur

Taffy - a 14 year old red Pembroke Welsh Corgi that I've had since she was 9 weeks old. She's still pretty spry when there's food/treats around or someone else is trying to have fun, other than that she's starting to slow down. I suspect her sight and hearing are on the decline as well. She has always been a little aloof, but likes to get skritches.

Timber - a 5 year old black headed tri-color Pembroke Welsh Corgi that we adopted two years ago as an adult who was returned to the breeder. Stubborn, loud, loves to play and eat. He's not particularly solicitous of attention, but likes short belly rubs and ear skritches.

RIP Dino - he passed away on April 20, 2020, at the time he was estimated to be about 13 years old a red headed tri-color Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I still miss this dog every day. He was my snuggler.
    Qwalla, MasterMagnus, Meeko and 2 others like this.
  10. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

Pitties get a bad rap because of humans who treat them badly and "train" them inappropriately. As a breed, they can be marvellous.
  11. Accendo Guest

I have a rescue cat named Mittens. She's a calico with white paws and a white tummy, and my daily companion. Years ago when I was telling coworkers I was looking to get a kitten, someone on the environment team reached out to me in private and said she just got Mittens as a rescue (when she was a kitten), but her other older cat was a bit of a bully towards her. I reluctantly gave in and decided to visit her apartment to meet Mittens for the first time. The poor girl was so traumatized by the bully cat and what can only be assumed an abusive original owner, she never got up off her belly. She did this speedy combat-crawl everywhere along the edges of the walls. My heart broke instantly. I took her home to my place and she never left the crate or the bathroom for over a month. When she finally did come out, she hid under my bed for another two weeks. One night, while I was gaming, she finally crawled out and slowly slid up to me to sniff my hand. It took nearly a year for her to finally be comfortable enough to hang around me.

Fast-forward to today: She's peacefully curled up on my couch taking one of her long daily naps. Every other day or so, she'll come into my office and meow loudly to get me to scratch her head. (This tends to also happen while I'm in a meeting.)

Life without Mittens is unimaginable.
    Grove, Qwalla, Aiona and 7 others like this.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

It is amazing how they work their ways into our lives to the point we can't imagine being without them. I started writing this while my very large cat, Scout, was laying over my shoulder (14 lb cat on the shoulder....)
    Grove, Qwalla, Accendo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Koshk Augur

Name: Menace
    Species: Cat
    Summary: Aspiring Olympic Feather-Chasing medalist.
    Qwalla, Meeko, Rijacki and 1 other person like this.
  14. kliqIMB Elder

My wife and I have three cats (which may or may not have influenced my choosing of Vah Shir):

Name: Pudge
    Species: Chantilly-Tiffany
    Short Description - Wizened and fierce, lap-sitting matriarch.
    Long Description - Our oldest. She'll turn 18 in a few weeks. A solid black Tiffany cat that my wife has had since before we eve met. Pudge is most assuredly the queen of the house, and it's every bit deserved. The last year has been tough given that she's gone fully deaf and as Ed Sheeran says, "(her) legs don't work like they used to." But we love her and she still climbs her bedside stairs and sleeps with us at night.

Name: Smoosh
    Species: Domestic Long-Haired
    Short Description: Lovable and anxious, food-loving goofball.
    Long Description: The archetypal middle-child, we rescued Smoosh from a shelter shortly after we moved into our first apartment when we got married. Smoosh has really bad PTSD and is skittish, but she's extremely sweet and loving. She's usually laying in her napping spot on the couch while I'm browsing these forums or playing EQ. She's a white-and-black spotted domestic longhair and even though she's nearing 11, she's still very playful (though she doesn't necessarily like the other cats).

Name: Moxie
    Species: Domestic Long-Haired
    Short Description: Earnest and fearless, high-spirited adventurer
    Long Description: Our youngest. We just got her a year ago and she looks like we took Pudge to the resident cloning service. She's also fast, smart, and curious... even for a kitten. It is not uncommon for us to find her laying on top of cabinets above the frig or to be snuggled under a pile of blankets napping. She's been an absolute ray of sunshine in a last 12 months that has been almost entire decidedly poor for the most part.

I'd straight up take a bullet for any of them. (I also have about a thousand pictures if anyone wants to see. :D)
    Grove, Qwalla, Nennius and 4 others like this.
  15. Meeko Developer(Code)

The dog I currently have the most interaction with, via my parents.
    Mila (pronounced more as "meela")
    Dog: German Shephard
    Protector and frequent tripping hazard.
    My parents inherited this dog from my brother-in-law's family after they no longer wanted her. She's older and a sweetheart that won't leave my mom's side. I've slowly been getting her to play and when she gets in the mood she's a big goof. She, like me, is slowly learning to get along with the cat in her life that can be a nuisance at times.

The dog I miss the most, my childhood dog.
    Max
    Dog: Yellow Lab
    Perfect companion for a family.
    My dog growing up was a yellow lab that was as gentle as could be. He enjoyed playing and swimming with us. He loved everyone and was never aggressive even as kids were crawling all over him. He'll forever be the dog all others are measured against in my eyes.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

Name: Wiener
    Species: Snake
    Summary: It has no teeth and does smell like fish and is naughty by nature.
    Rijacki and Grove like this.