Guild Achievements

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Aurmoon, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Aurmoon Augur

A suggestion was posted in the Quality of Life improvements thread (page 43) but I wanted to call it out and expand upon it. Personally, I think introducing guild achievements or guild-based rewards would be a fantastic way to (1) reward guilds for doing all of an expansion’s raid achievements, (2) promote guild longevity, and (3) create value in replaying some older content. This could also solve the need for future expansions so you don’t need to go back and re-do the raid for every new member that joins. My implementation would look something like the following:

Introduce a “guild achievements” system where the guild itself can complete the existing “Conquest (Raid)” and “Progression (Raid)” achievements. In addition to characters gaining achievements for Raid Conquest or Raid Progression, make it so the guild of the character designated as the raid leader also gets the achievement. Completing these achievements would unlock benefits for every member of that guild (while they remain a member of the guild). The benefits would be bestowed through a single, permanent duration buff called something along the lines of “Blessing of [Insert Guild Name Here].” As more guild achievements are completed, the blessing gains in power. Make them percentage based so that it scales to character level. If you don’t want to deal with scaling, block each expansion’s specific benefits until the character hits the max level attainable in that era.

Some examples:
    Complete Veil of Alaris Raid Achievements: +3% to health / mana / endurance of all guild members.
    Complete Rain of Fear Raid Achievements: +3% to melee/pet/spell damage / healing
    Complete Call of the Forsaken Raid Achievements: +5% to non-resting health / mana / endurance regen
    Complete The Darkened Sea Raid Achievements: +20% to all specialization (does not stack with existing 15% specialization augs)
    Complete The Broken Mirror Raid Achievements: +3% chance to twincast / twinheal / twinproc
    Complete Empires of Kunark Raid Achievements: +2% global damage mitigation (melee/DD/DoTs) — Also, grants immunity to Gust of Atrebe or whichever is the raid AE!
    Complete Ring of Scale Raid Achievements: +50 corruption resistance

Obviously the specific benefits could be debated til we’re blue in the face, but wanted to get a dialogue going.
  2. Tucoh Augur

As someone who is a casual in a top-guild (Ring of Valor) this would benefit me greatly without me having to do a thing to help it.

But I don't think it'd have the effect you'd want. Instead of a guild pulling together to take on content with renewed vigor, it'd push people into just funneling into huge guilds with a good raiding force, and make it much harder for up and coming guilds to stay together because their top-tier players will have yet another reason to move on to more like-minded players.

I'd be more in favor of fellowships having achievements, but even that would get cumbersome. Better to keep achievements personal, IMO.
    Thrillho likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This could cause a problem with open raids as any benefits from would be factored into future raids making them harder for open raids where not everyone is in a guild that will have those achievements.
    Thrillho likes this.
  4. Thrillho Augur

This exists already in the form of guild trophies. Some are better than others.

You could end up in a golden handcuffs situation if this were to be implemented. People could be more inclined to stay within a guild that may not be the right fit for them, simply because they can't afford to take a hit to their stats if they go to another guild that doesn't have the achievement done.

Starting a new guild would be even more difficult than it is already. Not only do you need to get an active roster of 54ish to raid, you would now need to go back and do old content. It's a chore already to convince people to log in to raids to do achievements for old content.

Adding new guild trophies would be a good way to implement this idea.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Guild trophies works nicely with open raids as they can be awarded based on number of members from each guild so that even raiders from guilds that don't send as many people can get them eventually.
  6. Goodn Augur

So...basically you want to give a big middle finger to anyone participating in non-/light-raiding family type guilds? Or are those not REAL guilds in your opinion? Nice...

I thought the extra stats on the gear, the extra (rank 3) level of spells, the added clicky/other powers, etc. were enough for raiders. At least just be honest...say I WANT MORE POWER WITHOUT HAVING TO DO ANYTHING OTHER THAN I AM ALREADY DOING...rather than obfuscating the request via a new achievement line.

Don't get me started on how many bot guilds this idea would create...
  7. Liljit Augur

I think this more comes from a standpoint of: xyz guild has beaten xyz expansion 3 years ago and farmed it, every week during that year, and gone back multiple times for achievements to get new members the same achievements the "guild collective" has had for 3 years.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The achievements that people farm raids for are not ones that they would ever make guild achievements as they award the right to buy items from a vendor or end up awarding an item themselves.
  9. Liljit Augur

It would be nice to just see an Eyes of Life and Decay Trophy.
    A Nathsar Diamond Trophy.
    Something that wouldn't stack with the actual in game item, that would allow guilds the freedom to not return to old content so frequently.
  10. Tiggold Augur

Guild trophies, Eyes of Life and Decay, Forgotten Gemstone......there are already rewards for guild achievements.
    Axxius likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you want to waste a limited trophy slot with something that you can get elsewhere in the game?
  12. Liljit Augur

Waste. Good term for this.

Waste is raiding content that entire chests rot on. So that a few newer members get those chase items like the Eyes of Life and Decay or the Nathsar Diamond.

Just suggesting an easier solution would to be award those as trophies for completion of all the achievements in the expansion, then anyone who was present for all achievements can place that trophy for the guild. If needed expand trophy slots.
  13. Cicelee Augur

The difference between winning and losing an event is Nathsar Diamond obviously...
  14. Liljit Augur

Absolutely not, but do your guildies not min/max their characters?
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You want to min/max your characters and want to use a trophy slot so you don't have to go back and do easy raids for some really good items?
    Sancus likes this.
  16. Dhurgan Augur

I wouldn’t mind a guild trophy vendor type of NPC where you could use raid currency to trade in for tokens to purchase some of those older rewards. Not saying it would be cheap, but usually at the end of a farm season you have a stash of currency banked.
    Liljit and Thrillho like this.
  17. Rorce Augur

I really like the idea of Guild Achievemens, and always have. I'm not sold on the rewards being stat improvements, however. I still feel like those should come from personal achievements, for many reasons.

I would love to see Guild Achievements that are maybe similar to Slayer achievements. Guild has killed 500k rats, all guild members now receive 1% exp bonus. 5 million rats, 2% bonus. Guild has crafted 1 million items, guild members receive some kind of tradeskill perk, etc.
  18. Lianeb Augur

It personally think the raid achievements should stay exactly how the are in RoS and were in both CoTF and TDS. Ornaments!!! If a guild feels like rewarding members by completing all the achievements then the members are happy. If it is a personal gain item then the guild feels obligated to help new members acquire those items and it becomes monotonous, especially after a good year of farming and then having to go back for newer members 1 or 2 years later to get them for personal gain.

As it is now you can do them or not and not penalized for it, gain some bragging rights and some weird looking ornaments. Or choose not to do the achievements and keep clearing content in a night to give loot to alts. The achievements now allow that choice.

Do them or don’t with no comcequence to player power so no need to continually farm them.
    Liljit likes this.
  19. Tiggold Augur

Ohh I see. So you want guild achievements that reward the whole guild. even who weren't there, with some permanent stats? I guess if you're going to kill 5 million rats just to attract people to your sh*tty guild go for it. If people don't want to join your guild now are you really going to be happy with them joining because some person went and killed mindlessly just to make your guild more attractive?
    Axxius likes this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

They do. I do. To the best of our abilities. But not every single character has every single best in slot item, augment, rank 3 spell, etc.

To my understanding, the OP is requesting that guild XYZ gets a trophy that gives all its members an older "chase" item even if they have not completed it (i.e. Nathsar Diamond) if the guild as a whole has completed ABC raid achievements for the sole purpose of not having to go back and obtain said items for new and future members. I disagree with that notion, and say if it is truly that important then a guild will go back (or new/future player will go back).

I have also been on record in saying that not every person can have every single min/max thing in the game. Like myself, I do not have the ROS raid mount. I do not expect a guild next year (assuming I do not obtain one prior, which I see as extremely unlikely) to go out of their way to do three VP raids so I can get a flying mount that, in the grand scheme of things, only really matters to myself and not to overall guild success. Similar to a Nathsar Diamond. It just is not important in overall guild scheme. And as such should not be rewarded to a guild that has done it in the past just because.

Player/guild puts in the work. They get the rewards. Not me join XYZ guild and I get the ROF twincast clickie because the guild I was in during Rain of Fear did not obtain the twincast clickie...