Groups are impossible to find

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mirthe, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Serriah_Test Augur

Not only is boxing more efficient on time played, it also ensures that my character gets the upgrades she needs. AC aug didn't drop? No prob, I'll try again tomorrow. AC aug did drop? I'm guaranteed to get it.

I do try PUGs about twice a week, but they usually end up massively disappointing.
    First off, I'm no expert player, but I am fairly good at several classes. I run a DPS parser to analyze where things went wrong and where they went right. Mostly what goes wrong is I can take all the mobs in an HA, combine them, do the DPS parse and it looks as follows

Tendiarea + pets: 17k dps (My 96 necro - Literally 3 swifts, 2 DoTs and 2 swarm pets. No burns aside on nameds)
    Serriah 12k dps (my 100 SK who is also tanking)
    Ransha (My 98 sham): 11k DPS (also debuffs and spot heals)
    PUG player 1 (DPS Class): ~4k dps
    PUG player 2 (DPS Class): ~2.5k dps
    Kenny (Serriah's Pet LOL) : ~1.2k dps
    Jabober (Tendi's Pet) ~900 dps

So the three of me (divided attention) ends up doing their regular 30-35k dps and I get an added 6-7k dps from the others or the equivalent of half a wiz merc on balanced... The only toon I'm playing even close to 90% efficient is my SK. The other two are at about 50%

I used to not be "snobbish" about this kind of thing... but a lot of times I wonder why some people even bother logging in? What is holding them back?

A lot of the reason why PUGs are so hard to get going is simply because a lot of people coast to such sub-standard levels, mercs outclass them.

Now I'm sure I get in groups and some folks probably wonder why I'm slacking so much because they are better than me, but I can at least say I'm better than all mercs on all of my toons :p
  2. Riou EQResource

They probably just don't know how to play and no one teaches them :p
    Leerah and Elricvonclief like this.
  3. Ravengloome Augur

Some people are also haven't changed with the pace of the game. Or were never any good to begin with, or just plain old are not worth teaching.

All they have to do is put an hour of initiative into it, and they can find the information they need. Those that will be good/excel do, the ones that can't/won't/don't want to? They never get beyond meh.
  4. Serriah_Test Augur

The best thing SOE could do is put a built-in parser into the client.
    Before I started using Gamparse, I had zero feedback aside from "I'm alive and the mob is dead, and I did it in.... some amount of time that didn't seem too long"

You have people who rely on PUGs and they literally receive no feedback other than they find themselves getting fewer and fewer groups... (most likely because someone parsed them and blacklisted them. Not a malicious blacklist, just a reminder that they invite that person with low expectations next time).
  5. Ratbo Peep Augur

Easy.
    /tell Tankimus Maximus (up front) "We only need 3 snakes, 4 rats, and 5 Critters - and then we're moving on ASAP to do the Cleric's thingie."
    Don't open the door further than you want to - unless you have the time.
    -Rat
    PS: That's one nice thing about the HA's - everyone knows up front what they are committing to.
  6. Rauven Augur

Its brought up because all the things on ZAM could be converted over to the Wiki. Obviously ZAM has no interest in helping with that as they are in the business to make money and that's counter productive to that. So that leaves us players. I wonder if that would take place or not. I might put poison information for the rogues out there, that is definitely not an easy thing to get into. And even the info on ZAM is pretty convoluted.
  7. Sinestra Augur

In every game there are people that get involved in such things, and those that do not.

Could all the information be put on the wiki? Sure, but the majority of information you would need is on ZAM for free or elsewhere. There is very little on ZAM that is locked behind their subscription last I checked. In fact, all the information is available, but some of the ways you look it up are limited.
  8. Mirthe Journeyman

Thank you every for the great ideas. Can't wait to get back into the game and give some of them a try! This thread turned out a lot better than I expected. <3
    Marshall Maathers likes this.
  9. Leerah Augur

If you write a great poison guide, I bet EQ Resource would publish it.
    Sinestra and Riou like this.
  10. Rauven Augur

There needs to be one. And I've got the knowledge up in my head for the newer stuff. I'll see what I can do this weekend.
  11. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

1. Decide to make a group yourself.
    2. Have an idea (or a few ideas) of what the group is going to do. More than just XP or Grind.
    3. Ask for people who are interested in doing what you are planning to do.
    4. Once you've gotten anyone interested, have them meet you there and if nothing else pop out mercs and start killing time on whatever is around, while still LFM.
    5. As other members if they know anyone that might be interested.
    6. Do whatever you set out to do.
  12. Questoften32 Augur

I dont know about now with heroic characters hampering the flow of people making normal toons and enjoying the content to 85 (nothing against heroic toons for those that choose them btw)...but a bit ago when I played eq befor my break, if you went to a smart grinding spot and killed things for a good while someone usally eventaly showed up to play with you awhile. And perhaps reterned to the same spot at a later time and grouped with you again remembering you from last time. Dont know if its still that way or not.