Grelleth's Palace named spawn rate

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Naheir, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Naheir New Member

I've spent most of the last week trying to get Glowing Dreadmotes for my level 100 rank 2 spells - operative word 'trying'. I've spent a total of about 18 hours constantly clearing named placeholders (going by information on Alla's, etc.), and I've yet to see a single named spawn.

To be specific, I started out trying to spawn Dark Ritualist Kopp, clearing all 3 of his placeholders (a Chateau bloodcaster) every time they respawned (about 18 minute spawns) for about 6 hours, with no luck.

I figured that maybe he was just a rare spawn, so I moved to a different spot, near a campfire with 2 quest givers, clearing 3 placeholders for Polluter Slaunk and 1 for Grelleth War Machine. I spent about 4-5 hours here clearing almost as they spawned (the placeholders were a bit farther apart), and again, nothing.

Next I moved north of the lake, clearing all 3 placeholders for The Forgotten Murderer, and a different PH for Grelleth War Machine. These seemed easier because I could move from PH to PH without needing to clear anything. I've fought here for a total of about 8-9 hours now, clearing each within a couple minutes of respawn, and have yet to see a named.

To make matters worse, from what I've read the glowing dreadmote is a fairly rare drop. If it takes this long to spawn a named on top of that, there's no way I'm ever going to get my rank 2 level 100 spells - so my question is this: Are the named spawn rates bugged somehow, or am I just unlucky, or were the spawn rates always this low? As an aside, does anybody have a recommendation of where a level 98 (almost 99 now) necromancer can solo/molo for a chance to earn glowing dreadmotes?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If it were me, I'd do missions instead of camping named. Guaranteed spell drop, and you should be able to find some missions which don't take that long.

Even better answer... just keep leveling. These will all be replaced by the time you hit 105. It's only a 5% hit using the rank 1s intead.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Research the spells. Alternatively, ask someone to research them for you. The supplies are not rare.
    Tatanka likes this.
  4. Critts Augur

I recall spending 4 days trying to get a name to spawn in TBM. When it did spawn it didn’t drop the aug I needed. That was before I tried to get the HAs names to spawn.... no idea where you could solo for the spells, but doing the missions at least guarantees something.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

DOH! I totally forgot about research, LOL!

OP, if you're on Tunare, ping me, I can make them for you, if you'll cover cost of mats.
  6. Naheir New Member

What missions? Bear in mind that I recently returned to the game after about a ten year absence, so most of this content is completely new to me.
  7. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Really by far the easiest/cheapest method for getting these spells is going to be research as others have suggested. Look for Stained Fine Runic Sortilege Sheets, one per spell. They are probably available in the bazaar depending what server you're on. Then find a master researcher to ask them to make your spells. There will also be a cost for materials for each attempt; maybe ask about that price ahead of time or look up the materials' cost on eqtraders.

As for missions if you choose to go that route, the Glowing Dreadmotes can drop from any RoF group mission chests for tier 2+ zones. Most of these are not soloable at your level, although I can confirm I did solo a few of them as a 100 necro back during RoF era. The easiest are probably:

1) Menace, Doom, and Horror
    2) Find The Gems... Or Die!
    3) The Machinations of Kotul

You can see the full list of missions under /achievement > Rain of Fear > Missions. The first four zones listed are tier 1 zones, so they won't drop Glowing Dreadmotes. For tier 2+ missions they do drop, but keep in mind they are not guaranteed drops every time - probably closer to 15-20% chance. These missions typically also require prerequisite solo tasks in order to request them (Find the Gems... Or Die does not have prerequisites, the rest do). In some cases the prerequisite tasks are more difficult than the actual mission. The list of missions you could do will grow if you add another player or two to your group.

And then to kind of answer your original question - the Grelleth named aren't bugged, they are just indeed quite rare. This seems to be true for most/all tier 2 zones in Rain of Fear. Anecdotally, back when I used to farm RoF named quite often, I tended to find more named up in Valley of King Xorbb compared to other tier 2 zones. But named are also generally a bit more difficult to kill there, so it's kind of a trade off. Also could have just been overall randomness with regard to my personal experience.

EDIT: Oh and what server are you on? Shouldn't be too difficult to find a researcher to help you out, or just someone to kill a few named/run a few missions, depending on your server.
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Xyroff gave some good info, but I thought I'd add one more bit, just in case....

You didn't mention if you checked the Bazaar for the dreadmotes themselves. I'm leveling an alt through HoT and into VoA now. I had plenty of rank 2 drops from HoT, but noticed I was way short on Alaran cantrips (VoA). I checked the Bazaar last night, and there were plenty of all of them (other than Greater), and for very reasonable prices. And that's the night after a patch, when many perma-traders haven't logged back in yet. So, check there, that may be the completely quickest route.

To recap:
    1 - look for rank 2 drops in Bazaar
    2 - look for research mats in Bazaar
    3 - look to missions, possibly, instead of camping names
    4 - just get the rank 1s and keep leveling
  9. Naheir New Member

Unfortunately, the cheapest in the bazaar when I've looked has been 85,000, and I can't afford one of those - let alone 6.

I'd already searched for the research material, even though I'm not a researcher, but there haven't ever been any for sale. (There's 4 different scrolls with the word Sortilege, but none of the Stained Fine ones).

If the missions aren't soloable, unfortunately, I'm probably out of luck. I've been back for over 2 months now and only found a group once.

These were the reasons I was trying to find out about the named spawn rate. There was a post on Alla's for one of the named I was trying to spawn just from this past November (2018) about seeing him 5 times in 6 hours, and calling that 'uncommon' and 'unfortunate' (compared to my 0 in 8 hours!), so I was trying to make sure there wasn't anything broken - thanks for the confirmation on rarity!
  10. Naheir New Member

The edit time had just passed, but to amend the above post, it looks like the complaint was that his aug drop was uncommon. Still, their experiences compared to mine suggest that my luck with spawning named sucks! ;)
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, sounds like your server sucks for Bazaar availability/pricing.

Seriously, if you're a mostly molo/solo player, just keep leveling. Having rank 2s is nice, but nothing worth putting other stuff on hold for. If you have other RoF zones to finish questing in, just move there, and maybe you'll just stumble across some names. If not, you'll still be leveling and finishing other quests.
  12. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

To echo Tatanka if you're on Tunare look me (Liin) up, I'll research the spells for you. I might even already have the necessary materials. Worst case scenario I'll run the missions in ROF for you if I'm free, some of the missions don't take 10 minutes to complete.
  13. Naheir New Member

I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I'm on Rathe! Still no research materials available, although one person has the dreadmotes listed for 50,000 now. Hopefully what I earn while levelling/farming will allow me to pick up one or two of them for the most important spells (Coruscating Shadow, etc) even if I don't manage any drops.

Edited to add: It's a shame. When I was 93 I noticed the glowing alaran cantrips were sold in bazaar for a minimum of 100,000, so I started looking up where I could farm them. Almost all of the named that dropped them were far beyond my ability to solo at the time, but I went through them (and their abilities) one by one on Alla's until I found one I thought I could take.

I went to City of Bronze and camped A Raging Braxi from 93 to 95, eventually earning all of my cantrips (and a couple extra). Was quite a feeling of accomplishment, and figured I'd be able to pull it off again for the glowing dreadmotes - but I haven't even been able to spawn the named to see if I can fight them! Disappointing, but what do you do? /shrug
  14. Naheir New Member

An update: After returning to the zone for one more try, I finally managed to spawn "The Forgotten Murderer" - a huge relief, because now I know for sure I'm camping the right mobs and everything's spawning correctly. I was able to win my fight with him, and was even lucky enough to get my first glowing dreadmote! I'll look at my spell list and use it carefully in case I'm not able to get any more :)
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Gana Augur

Congrats! Keep at it! And good luck!
  16. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Congratulations, glad you got the win.