Graphics like these - Possible soon?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by I_Love_My_Bandwidth, Aug 18, 2023.

1. Eaedyilye More stonehive bixies.

If that happened, I would frown. But, my forest fairy swarm would still be fluttering about. They wear anti Bristlebane charms, so they're safe.
  2. Barton The Mischievous

No one is safe from Bristlebane.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I have the scars to prove it.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  4. Buds Augur

Better graphics do add to the immersion and realism of the game.
    uberkingkong likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

And this, people, is why smart Dwarves carry nailclippers.;)
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Nennius like this.
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

You assume the scars are physical.
    Skuz and I_Love_My_Bandwidth like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

He meant metaphysical nail clippers.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  8. DeadRagarr Augur

Character models need to be updated first as its the first thing you see and honestly the most important model in the entire game. Who cares if a dragon you see after 60 hours of gameplay looks neat when your own character looks like garbage.
    Skuz and Barton like this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You're not wrong! ;)

I think I'm ready for new character models...
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If they are going to do this they need to remove the older models as well otherwise it is just another model that they have to support for the long term even if they don't support new things.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

12. Iven the Lunatic

As the PC models are only client based it does not matter much to have different versions of them around. There will always be players that do prefer old models and it does not require much support.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And they can't do any changes that would cause issues for people who are using those models.
  14. Iven the Lunatic

It was not an issue in the last 22 years, so it won't be one in the future.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because player models haven't changed in 22 years? As they upgrade to direct x 11 and if they decide to change models what works now could cause problems.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

To much fear and theory. There always could be problems and if you think that there will be some, they will be there.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Others would argue to much holding onto the past and not wanting to move to newer and better graphics.
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

It's very possible that the two are tied together and the UI updates are a stepping stone to graphic updates.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

It is about identification. The players are used to some kind of appearance, especially if those are the PCs that they do play. Like in RL where players are used to identify themselves with a name which is going that far that they do even think that they are the name. Most players won't have a problem with better graphics as long as it would preserve the identity of "their" PCs which is stronly based on theirs appearance.
  20. uberkingkong Augur

Yep those graphics are doable, and only 1 person (more up to a point is better) is all it takes, and doesn't require much time.
    Theres videos of people doing amazing things within a week solo.
    Then you have this community, thoughts on said Idea, "lack dev's" "lack time" "too many resources would be spent"
    the person who did something amazing solo within a week, hold my dev's hold my time hold my resources.

Gotta be on a good engine though.
    IF they go the route upgrade EQ to the latest and greatest. It takes away nostalgia.
    IF they want EQ like game to be on the latest greatest, EQ3.
    keep the nostalgia
    stay up to date
    brand stays relevant

GW1 to GW2 was a huge success.
    nostalgia kept
    GW2 moved onto that times latest and greatest
    and you can still play GW1 if its not heavy populated anymore its because newer games outdated it, newer #esports, time to move on anyways, timing was good
    GW3? I think on the way, good feeling.

EQ1 to EQ2, the outcome, others did 2nd version well, the outcome? other brands are doing well from their move.
    that outcome was 2 decades old too, times changed, it was a long long time ago and the michael jordan of mmos was in its prime.

thinking,
    the future of gaming.
    YOU MAKE THE GAME
    use the UE5 engine
    use chatgpt to tell you what goes where and how to do what you want it to do

community support, community coming with ideas.
    Quake1, that success was because grappling community stuff, capture the flag was community, clan arena community.

community stuff thats possible again with UE5 with chatgpt
    AND
    when dev's at big companies don't meet expectations of the community

fine, I'll do VR EQ myself
    fine I'll do fun version EQ myself
    hence you see all these youtube coming up, mind blown EQ. easy done
    hold my extra devs hold my time hold my resources
    done

so community, UE5 thats given free to all community
    chatgpt given free to all community
    we are in the
    "just do it era"

yes its doable, quit making excuses
    "just do it"

EQ3
    just do it

sooner or later, a couple from now,
    everything is gonna be a github repo of things, people going to make their games.
    they'll buy stories

EQ lacks stories
    it has nostalgic zones, but those zones are empty
    zero stories have been told, just old folklore, fippy bark bark. thats it, no story or anything to it.
    Some guard in some roams, folklore, no story just some guard that roams. everyone has their thing about why some specific guard is roaming.

EQLandmark, just not fun. they just did not know how fun it was. Thats where we are now, and where going towards. "just isn't fun". Fortnite. Heavy next generation players too. Not old farts and somewhat old.