Graphics card creating crash

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Dezert, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Dezert New Member

When I go to game configuration, it only listed the integrated graphics card.
    Went to Nvidea panel and set my global preference to Nvidea card instead of auto.

Now, after choosing the graphics card and settings, Everquest will load to server select and crash. I can't tab out, task manager, nothing. I have to sign off, reboot or shutdown. Everytime.

What can I do to solve this issue and use my dedicated graphics instead of integrated?

Thanks
  2. Lorewood Lorekeeper

I'm a little confused what your trying to do. If the monitor you are using is plugged into the graphics card that should be what the game uses. One thing I have done in the past is disable my integrated graphics card in the bios if you can not get it to play nice with your Nvidia card. And there is always the defaut option remove all the drivers and re-install the cards software/drivers making sure they are the latest and greatest.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

4. Sarkaukar Augur

Delete eqclient.ini and start from scratch, logging into the game without messing with the configuration. Also delete the equipment.txt

OP, have you yet played the game on this current system of yours? If so, what changed/happened that made you run through the configuration at Launchpad?

Did you try to play the game before running through the game configuration at the Launchpad? If so, what prompted you to run the game configuration?

If the initial game setting is not showing the Nvidia as the primary, it may be dependent on the bios settings, and not just disabling the built in GPU. Some bios will allow the user to designate which GPU is primary while others will not. This would be why running that game configuration may show the integrated GPU by default, but it does not mean it is using it.
  5. Dezert New Member

To Lorewood, this is a laptop. Not a desktop. So i'm not plugged into an alternate monitor.

Last night I logged in without issue, and it played. Tonight I spent about an hour trying to get past server select without freezing and locking up.

I deleted eqclient and equipment files as suggest. I loaded game, and it was using old models, but it logged in without issue. As I exited, the game froze headed back to server select. By freeze, I mean I have to restart. I can't tab, I can't open and use task manager.

Next, I deleted eqclient again, ran the game config without changing any options. It had models autoselected. I just hit next and finish without making any changes. Loaded up eq fine, got in game and changed my resolution. Will see how this works going forward
  6. Dezert New Member

While I'm on a mission to fix buggy stuff. In game, I can use my mouse for everything as normal except for 2 things. I can right click to delete a spell from the gem, but I can't use it to mem a new spell. So I have to open the book and go that route...which I find obnoxious now lol

Next, I also can't right click for window options. So I can't lock, change filters, hitmodes etc.

As I said, everything else works as normal far as I can tell. Any ideas?
  7. phattoni Augur

in the nvidia control panel, somewhere there is an option to force applications to use the nvidia card instead of the hd stuff, set that.

also no matter what i do it always says my hd stuff when i do the options editor from the launcher.

there is also an option to show what programs are using the nvidia card, enable that, then run eq, check the box that should now be in the taskbar from the option you just enabled, it should say eqgame.exe.

also you have disabled context menus in the game options, enable this again to get the right click menus back.
  8. Dezert New Member

So, the only way for me to consistently load eq without freezing everytime -- I have to delete the eqclient.ini file before logging in. Problem is, I lose my UI setup (default, just organization) and keybinds, options etc all reset to default.
    If I open the GPU desktop thing, it's inactive, even while playing. Next, if I force it to use the gpu instead of integrated, I have yet to get logged in. Freezes everytime after server select.
    Reinstalling eq now, not that I expect that to make any differences.

And yes, context menus was disabled, thanks!
  9. Sarkaukar Augur

Just to confirm something, when you are in game, Alt O, Display Tab, is it showing the integrated GPU instead of the Nvidia?

And when you force it, you are doing it via the Nvidia control panel, correct? Power Management - changing it from adaptive to Max Performance?

Then changing it back to Adaptive, you still cannot log in unless you delete the eqclient.ini? And you are not going through the Game Configuration via the Launchpad?

Generate and post your dxdiag. Just the top part, from the beginning to just pass the sound card entry.
    Also post 2 eqclient.ini The one when you are logged in using the integrated GPU, then log back out and the one generated when the Nvidia is forced and it crashes.

Also post the dbg.txt in the log folder after the crash.

Also, how exactly do you have your GPU connections setup?
    And when you play other games, does the Nvidia Tray icon show that game using Nvidia? (just needing confirmation).

I doubt reinstalling will resolve the problem. When you are in the game, do you change the resolution in the Options/Display?
  10. Dezert New Member

Interesting. So, I did an uninstall. Then in the nvidia control panel I set the gpu to global instead of auto detect. Then reinstalled eq.
    Then I logged in. Completely left the game config options alone. No issues. Logged out and back in a few times. Just logged back in tonight. No issue.
    In game, I set up my ui (default) how I like, keybinds, options etc.

So as of now, no more issues with several log ins.
  11. Sarkaukar Augur

Excellent and thanks for responding back. The Game Configuration via Launchpad does not pull actual data from the system on the available resolutions for the system. Select a resolution that the system does not handle or handle well and it will crash, especially when set to Full Screen mode (default).

Also as a reminder and did not ask the question, were you using default installation location? If so, the files were being copied from the default install location to a virtual location. With game issues I generaly advise the player, if reinstalling, to install to an alternate location, ie c:\games\everquest (or appropriate drive) instead of using the default installation. I do this for all my games, especially online games since they are constantly being updated, since Windows Vista the OS can cause issues due to how changes are made along with game updates.

Again, thanks for the follow up.
  12. SiZZLESLAPs New Member

I am having an issue where I have to also delete the eqclient.ini every single time to get into the game otherwise it hangs with a black screen. Where in the Nvidia control panel are you setting your gpu to global instead of auto detect? I want to give this a go and see if it will fix my issue. Thanks in advance.
  13. Sarkaukar Augur

As for setting the Nvidia as primary, Nvidia panel, Manage 3D settings, scroll down to Power Management Mode and change it from adaptive to to Prefer Maximum Performance.
  14. Ramstein_Povar Journeyman

Mine does the same thing, the only work around I can find is to make sure and log out in windowed mode each time. Once you enter the game, hit alt+enter and go into full screen. If you forget to log out in windowed mode, make sure and change your client to log in the game in windowed mode before you log in the next time. WindowedMode=True
  15. erikalee79 New Member

I'm having this same issue. I'm going to start with changing the graphics card setting as above, but if that doesn't work.... how do I change the eqclient to log into windowed mode? Where is that code found so I can change it? =)
  16. erikalee79 New Member

Nevermind, I found it... in the eqclient file itself.

Houston, we have LIFTOFF! <3
  17. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I like this thread. :)