Good partner for a druid...

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Boldac, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Boldac New Member

Title sort of says it all. My wife and I just started playing again, and I am looking for something to pair with her druid. We aren't in a race to get to max level, but more to enjoy the game while we wait for EQN.

If you could list suggestions on a class to pair with the druid, that would be helpful too. Thanks!
  2. Gr8fuldave Augur

Necro Or Mage
  3. BoomWalker Augur

Pick a tank....any tank....

Warrior, SK, Pally

Mage pet tank

Necro pet tank

In order of likely usefulness...others can debate which tank is better with a druid...
  4. Daegun Augur

Honestly ...

Mage.

Casters are fun classes and mages being less gear dependent an bringing more power to the table than any traditional tank alone could, it's the obvious winner.

If you want to stick to a traditional tank class, I'd personally opt for a knight - specifically SK. Can pull, tank, slow undead mobs and does arguably the highest dps of the 3 and in a pinch can FD to help recover from wipes in a pinch.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Ravengloome Augur

Druid also adds a decent amount to an SK, Black Wolf/Aura/turnmobintoPlantsthing Also Reptile and Skin stack, where as the Paladin Preservation and Reptile do not stack, so you lose out on some synergy there if you go the Pally route.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. moogs Augur

Enchanter
    silku and Qest T. Silverclaw like this.
  7. code-zero Augur

Since you're asking in the Tank forum I'd say go with SK as there's a lot of synergy with a Druid. Warrior would be next and Paladin last for reasons pointed ouot by Ravengloome
  8. Ravengloome Augur

ehhh Id say Paladin has more overlap/synergy then a warrior does with druid... Id rank it SK>>Paladin>>>Warrior as far as Druid partners go.
    silku likes this.
  9. Kamea Augur

Paladins have more abilities that increase incoming heals. That's a pretty important synergy for druids.
  10. Mykaylla Augur

I would have put more arrows between the SK and the paladin than between the paladin and the warrior- i.e. SKs are further ahead of either in synergy with a druid.

Preservation and Reptile do not stack.
    Skin does not stack with paladin shielding- Paladins would rather self-buff than use druid skin (warriors can benefit from using skin).
    Paladins only use magic-based damage. Paladins debuff magic resist themselves better than a druid can.
    Vie abilities are not cumulative. Adrenaline Rush Effect and Protective Guard will therefore not cumulatively stack with each other, and protective is better (more absorption, same %). They will also get no benefit from the vie recourse of adrenaline when discing with anything other than Holy Guardian, because their two other discs are vie-based mitigation, and superior, unlike Shining Bastion (cleric vie spell) for example, which has other effects that keep it very useful to a paladin even when discing (or anyone else for that matter).
    Wild Growth and Stance do not stack, though one could argue that it frees up a spell slot for one or the other.

A paladin benefits from the DPS aura and group black/white wolf, and that's pretty much it (and that's when you're in the higher levels- you have to be high enough to have access to crushes to really make good use of black wolf and DPS aura... which druids don't get until over 85 anyway). It's just damage for the paladin in black wolf, whereas it's both damage and survival boost for an SK due to the increase in strength and crit power of taps. Warriors don't get anything from black wolf or the DPS aura, but have no stacking conflicts with druid support buffs. Basically the relationship between a druid and a paladin is kind of an odd couple; the relationship between a druid and a warrior is that they have little in the way of synergy, they do completely different things and cover what the other does not- warriors are not a hybrid and therefore are hampered when tackling a mob you need spell damage for, and the druid can provide that.

A caster pet class, as others have mentioned, will have a lot of synergy with a druid (more than any of the tanks, really), but it really depends on whether or not you like being a silky, or if you personally want to be the meat shield.

No choice is wrong, but if you're just interested in which tank class has more synergy with a druid... SK.
  11. shiftie Augur

you forgot to mention the slay plant ability of sk :p which a druid can make of any mob.

also crushes won't do much with black wolf... it won't be until HoT levels that they can make use of blackwolf as the mana pres on it is pretty null with the crushes specifically in mind as their operational cost is minimal.
  12. Mykaylla Augur

Someone else already did!
  13. Ravengloome Augur

^IKNORITE Although with my druid bot I wont lie I always cast that spell since i use the corruption dot to pull with on my SK 90% of the time
  14. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

Good partner for a druid...

With out a Question MAGE.
    From the Druids point of view anyways.
    Mage/Druid is the best two person combo in the game if you ask me. The synergy of the two classes were made for each other.
    Druid can debuff fire resist and throw on Skin To Seedlings for Mage nukes. Mage can Debuff magic resist with MALO for Druids Roar line and Storm strike.
    Druid's Can Increase Mage's DPS with Damage Aura and Group Black Wolf. Mage can Summon mod rods for druids to get back mana.
    Mage's Pet can tank while druid DPS's Mob's and heals pet along with mage DPS'ing while both the Mage and Druid hangs back out of Melee range of the MOB.
    Druid can do Some Crowd Control if mobs are Snarable/Rootable.
    Bust out a Cleric merc or two and a Druid can throw their Skin Buff line on the Mage for better mana regen and the druid can pretty much go all out DPS mode. Still no Melee slows though. :(
    All kinds of traveling tricks you can do with Druid's Teleports and Mage's CoTH.
    There is a bunch of other things too but you get the idea.

Only down side is from the Druid's point of view is a Mage is about the only class it has true synergy with, with a Wizard coming in a close second.

Me and a skilled Mage alone did allmost all of the CoTF Tier 1A Mercenary And Partisan tasks with just us two.
  15. Siwin Nonesuch Elder

But since you posted this under the "Tanks" Section i'm guessing she wants to play one of the 3 tank classes.
    Shadow Knight. Easily
    code-zero likes this.
  16. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Enchanter/Druid is the most capable duo there is.

Plus, nothing pleases a Druid more than crack.
  17. Ravengloome Augur

I think thats a pretty bold claim to make at this stage in the game, any content (group) can pretty much be done by any Duo.
  18. Ultrazen Augur

SK and mage are both really good, I'd also throw monk in there which no one has mentioned. I boxed monk/druid for a long time, great 2 box.

I currently 3 box and have every class about the same level, still favorite combo is mage, druid, bard. Might think about adding a 3rd account :p.

Mage + druid is an awesome 2 box for many reasons, one of which gets overlooked a lot when talking about boxing, and that's how involved you have to be with a class, how much you can macro, and when during a fight do they need to be active. The timing between druid and mage is really really good, especially if you pull in outdoor zones with the druid using harmony and insta camo.

A lot of things will work with a druid, they are very easy to box/macro. The lazyness that you can achieve with mage/druid is pretty spectacular though. One burn macro with /pet attack on the mage, and one dot/nuke/snare macro on the druid, and you're set. You can do entire fights with 1 button press on each class....I'm very lazy and love this combo for grinding.

Any melee class you pick is going to require a lot more fiddling around with...positioning, the amount of hot key spam you need to really get the most out of them, etc. That's fun for a while, but it can get really tedious about the 1000000000000th mob into things.

TLDR: Mage
  19. Repthor Augur

mage is the best with druid. u get more dps and they come with a hardy tank in the pocket. hands down mage . the only thign ull mis out of is slows but it dosent matter as much in group content with the debuffs of the druid. there wont be anythign u cant duo . you basicly get a 3 for 2 deal as with the mage pet ear+ aa their pet is very very sturdy and can tank anything in the group coontent has to offer

if your Q:n is Tank class id´s suggest shadowknight hands down and is the better match
  20. Tanlie New Member

Beastlord / Druid have all the synergy you could ever want and are viable partners from level 1 to 100