Good idea?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Buff timers
    If not fighting, don't tick down. If we afk eatting and are invis in a zone... why do we have to rebuff : )

Make it an AA? (level requirement)
    Extended buff duration AA?
    KarmaKitty and Dre. like this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They could switch to what other games do and you can only get a buff from a class if you are in a group or raid with them.
  3. CdeezNotes Augur

Why?
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Generally the ability to keep buffs without a timer in a game is tied to being in a group/raid with the person that cast the buff. That means if we want to remove buff timers in game we would be expected to group/raid with the classes that we want buffs from. We should never expect to be able to get a buff and keep it until we die as that removes the need to group with a class that you only want for buffs.
    fransisco and Rijacki like this.
  5. Tyranthraxus Grognard

You heard it here first, Melee's no longer get chanter haste on raids...

As awful as this idea would be for EQ, I half expect it to be the next big "feature" lol.
    fransisco likes this.
  6. CdeezNotes Augur

I'm failing to see an issue. Nothing about timers prevents your hypothetical situation. You're just enforcing more steps to get buffs.

"Can I get sym?"
    "Yes, take invite"
    "Ok"
    *buffs done dropped group*
    "Thanks, cya"

I say all long term buffs should be minimum of 4 hours. Timer is fine. Having long term buffs range from an hour to 9 hours is dumb.
  7. DeadRagarr Augur

OP is just saying that if we have OOC timer on buff timers pause.

Pros: If your sitting in a zone LFG <Typically TLP's>, then your buffs don't fade while you sit there.
    Cons: I dunno, dev time, as they would have to make short term burns not apply most likely.
  8. uberkingkong Augur

Dev time?
    Not really,

use this
    IF (fast medding) {
    buff timers.donottick()
    }

use the method they use in PoK, use the sameway as in PoK but instead zone have an overloaded for a action instead of zone.

Boom done.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is suggesting that this idea would happen, just that it would be the only way they would think about removing timers from buffs and making them permanent.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And in those systems you lose the buffs as soon as the player that provides them leaves the group/raid. It wouldn't be as easy as you think to get buffs in a system like that.
    fransisco likes this.
  11. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

What
  12. CdeezNotes Augur

And that system is trash. Why bring it up? Oh, because you like bringing nothing useful to conversations.
    Veteran_BetaTester and -=Crow=- like this.
  13. Silver-Crow Augur

Basically this is an EQ2 mechanic. Buffs last for as long as the buffer is still in the party.
    Would need a bit of rework to add it to EQ1 as they're more arch type linked... e.g. all scouts get run fast, all priests get hp buffs etc. The classes just add a small variety to some of the other stuff.

Does it work well in EQ2.. sure,
    Is it good for EQ1, not so sure due to population and they way the game is setup.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What do you think would happen if they moved away from having timers on buffs even if it was just in OOC? They keep timers on buffs because they don't want us to keep them indefinitely and they have even updated some so they continue to count down in zones that would normally freeze buff timers. Just because you are not currently fighting doesn't mean that buff timers should stop counting down.
    fransisco likes this.
  15. CdeezNotes Augur

1. Literally nobody is asking for indefinite buff timers. Where are you even coming up with this and why? Just another red herring in the ocean of red herrings you have throughout these forums.

2. Why should they continue counting down if not fighting? Because you think they do? Do you have any legitimate reason other than some arbitrary statement of "they should"? You haven't actually provided a refute other than that. Actually, you've provided nothing to further this discussion. All you've done is provided throw away comments to try and deflect the discussion down another path entirely.

I don't care if buff timers count down or not if in ooc. Would it be a nice QOL? Yes, much better than any recent QOL lately. So far, I've seen no legitimate cons in any of your responses so I'm curious what con you think there is.

I'd be perfectly ok just giving all long duration buffs a standard timer (4+ hours at minimum).
    Veteran_BetaTester and -=Crow=- like this.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

A long duration buff (2+ hour) that doesn't count down out of combat IS virtually a permanent buff. Heck that could last longer than some of the current "permanent" buffs from auras. Why not do away with buffs altogether and just have every character have all the stats from every buff that could currently be cast on them?
    fransisco likes this.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. That is what this thread is about, stopping buff timers in combat zones when you exit combat.
    2. That is part of how they balance buffs by limiting how long they last and how often they need to be recast.

I am simply pointing out a buff system they could easily switch to if they wanted to and they already have buffs like that in the Shaman Pact of the Wolf AA that is only available when grouped with a Shaman.

Also there is a difference between increasing some buff timers to make them more standard then asking for buff timers to stop counting down when not in combat.
    fransisco likes this.
  18. CdeezNotes Augur

Im sorry, but what? What are you doing in game? Sitting around GH doing nothing? I'm in combat more than I'm out of combat because that's how you get things done in the game...?
  19. CdeezNotes Augur

So why are you conflating it to infinite? If you're fighting, the timer is going down. In what universe do you exist in that a timer going down = infinite? The laws of time cease to exist in your reality!

Balance actually doesn't exist in this game and it's cute you think so. What does a buff timer have to do with balance? How is regen so much more powerful than cleric sym, druid skin, clarity-line, etc that it's a shorter duration buff? That makes no sense and they need to revise timers then to make it make sense. Regen is not a powerful buff.

The devs simply kept up with the original concepts of the game and the original timers of buffs (news flash: The original devs were virtually clueless and just throwing shots in the dark. It's pretty obvious if you sit and really look and think about it) and never went back to revise it. There's no way you can in good conscience tell me things like SoE are more powerful than VoP.

So you are providing a red herring. At least you admit to it, indirectly.

It's all a part of the back and forth of a normal discussion. Something you seem incapable of. It's called providing a topic and making counters/compromises. The only thing you do is pretend to be the dev proxy person and throw in completely unrelated topics. Unconstructive and breaking forum rules, as usual. But you're in the CRC so you're immune from the rules of normal people. (It still boggles my mind you're the voice of the community for the devs. I really hope you're secretly their personal jester in those discussions).
    -=Crow=- likes this.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, I am trying to suggest that they want the buff timers to count down in combat zones and any work on removing that (even if it was just out of combat) could likely result in a change to how buffs work. The result could easily be requiring the buffer to be in the group like they did with Shaman Pact of the Wolf when the duration was removed.

The devs have added the ability to keep buffs from counting down based on the zone you are in as well as exempting certain buffs from that. They have shown evidence that they still want buffs to count down in combat zones even if you are not actively fighting.

Pointing out that the result that we get from the change may not be what we want and may end being considered worse is important. It has happened many times in the past when the players want something changed to make it better and they end up getting other things nerfed and made worse as a result.

That is always my fear with a request like this.