Good characters to Duobox/ Duobox tips

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Candeth, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Candeth New Member

I made a warrior/cleric combo to duobox last night but was wondering if this will be a good fit.

Looking for any advice or tips on making the duobox experience easier.

Coming from WoW classic where the interface is a little more forgiving, for example I can't find where to make my macros lol.
  2. Tucoh Augur

war/cle is OK, not great because warrior benefits a lot from DPS buffs and clerics only really shine when there is a LOT of healing that needs to be done.

You'd be much better off with either a warrior/bard or a warrior/shaman.
  3. Fluid Augur

It is a good core that you will find levels slowly compared to some other types or at least a +1 three box/group.

Warrior is a damage sponge that can build aggro. Without a DPS character it kind of wastes the damage that can be done. You will really notice it when you pull more then a few MOBs and they go after the Cleric because healing in and of itself draws aggro from the MOBs. Kind of have to rotate who the Warrior is beating on to make sure that doesn't happen.

People make trade offs which is the fun of the game. They do things like a Monk-Cleric trade off because while the Warrior is better at tanking, the Monk will kill faster resulting in faster leveling. You just have to use the Cleric healing like mad.

Another option is to have a DPS healer go with the tank. Something like a Shaman can cast a DOT or two against the MOB so it dies quickly then move to healing the tank. I find mixed character types like Ranger or Paladin a pain to switch roles from DPS to healer during a fight so I seldom go that route.

Of course my personal favorite utility character is a Druid. They heal, have Harmony for breaking camps, damage shield spells, DOTs, direct damage spells, travel, evacuation, et al. They aren't the strongest character at any one thing, they just have the biggest bag of tricks in the game.

My teams/boxes run something like this

Solo a Druid
    Two members a Druid and anyone else
    Three members a Druid and two of any other character types
  4. Fanipak frootsnak New Member

Everyone seems to like mages as far as box groups due to damage/tanking/and to a lesser extent cc/pulling. They're just all around good to have around. Mages do better with caster classes though (mage/chanter can trivialize alot of content) . I'm currently leveling a warrior to go with my druid and I'm already enjoying the dynamic between the 2. There's no real right or wrong way to do it, play what you like!
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

Default slot for macros is CTRL + O which opens the social page.
    Commands you might like to setup are /assist NAME, /cast #, /follow, /assist, /pet attack (not applicable to cleric) and so forth.
    /pause 30, /cast 3 casts spell #3 then pauses 3 seconds before moving to the next line.

A good heal macro might be
    /cast 1
    /pause 30, /cast 1 (it pauses after)
    /cast 2
    and so forth

Doubling up /cast 1 halves how much you can put in a macro but accommodates the fizzles.

I box cleric and chanter. I think if I was starting fresh with mercs in mind I would have done a druid instead of a cleric.

I haven't played a warrior but I think a druid or shaman would be a better fit. The cleric merc can handle the bulk of the healing. The shm or dru can patch. The shm is probably a better pair with buff/debuff. Dru is a good alternative if you want heavier healing than the shm and ports. A real cleric cleric or druid will out heal a merc cleric but since you are boxing letting the server carry most of the load is nice.

Bard is a good do it all class.

Thing is, if you are on a live server and leveling from the bottom you can make a few FTP toons and level them together. Bards can /melody with no other input. Mages can pet assist then cast 5 nukes with just 2 key presses.

Hotkey 1
    /assist NAME
    /pet attack

Hotkey 2
    /pause ##, /cast #
    /pause ##, /cast #
    etc

Just press 1 and 2 and then ignore the mage.

Do /melody on the bard and then just let him stand in camp.

When you get good at boxing, you can expand the amount of input you give the other characters and they will already be at the right level.

If 2 boxing is enough ignore the last few lines.
  6. GTrain New Member

I have been boxing a Monk / Bard and really like it. The bard is real hands off, and the buffs make all the difference. Plus Bards ability for CC come in handy if it gets dicey.
  7. Candeth New Member

Thanks all for the info but decided for now I need to try and learn how to play one account before I attempt two heh.
    Tucoh likes this.