Good 2 Box Options

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Project Mayhem, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Project Mayhem New Member

Downloading the game to give it a try after a looonng break. What are some viable 2 box options for F2P? Where it won't matter if I do not have access to prestige gear.
  2. Treiln Augur

Mage + Mage
    Mage + Bard
    Mage + Wizard
    Mage + Druid
    Mage + BST
    Mage + Necro
    Necro + Necro

Most pet classes do well
  3. Aurastrider Augur

How far into the game do you plan to go? At a certain point you are going to need a decent healer and some form of a tank otherwise you will become rather frustrated. If you just want to play until level 70-80 you can reasonably do this as ftp but past that you will need either a player healer with AA's to actually make those heals matter or an all access account with a healer merc which it sounds like you are trying to avoid this. If you plan to get to 105 strictly as ftp with just your two toons without any AA's odds are you will get mauled.

With that said if you can hoard your plat and figure out a way to make enough to earn a kroon or two and then get AA's on at least 1 toon I would suggest a priest class with a mage. At some point you will also need to dump AA's into your mage pet otherwise they to will get mauled to death by mobs.

A druid might be a good choice since they can heal, dps, port and pull. Clerics will provide the best heals and rez but they lack the utility that a druid offers. Shaman have amazing buffs and can slow mobs plus dps and heal. Personally I would go druid mage if I were to go ftp all the way knowing at some point I might be able to go all access via a krono at some point to gain AA's.
  4. BrandeX Journeyman

If you play on test, you will have a gold level access even when free.
  5. Drusi Augur

Indeed Mage is a great base for a strong F2P team as long as you do 1 month on a subscription at 100+ to grab auto-grant AAs and gain some extra pet defensives.

Mage+Enc+1 A2 Cleric Merc + 1 A2 Dmg Merc can go quite far at 105
  6. Project Mayhem New Member

Well, I logged onto my old paladin. He had about half his gear unusable, which I assumed would be the case. Ran to bazaar, only have 30k. Turns out, buying the same level, non-prestige gear boosted my HP, Armor and only costed 26.5k. So now, as a f2p, I have better stats than when I paid. Guess I'll stick with my paladin :)
  7. Yruc Augur

Shaman / Enchanter decent also
  8. Treiln Augur

1 of 2 things. First, half your hear was unusable, thus half your stats were gone. So replacing the yellow pieces with gear you can use brought your stats back to where they were. Thus effectively "doubling" your stats.

Or second, your Paladin and his gear are old enough that current level rot gear just shines that much more ;)
  9. kinadafz Augur

If pally is one, then I'd go with a beast for the other. Slows, haste, buffs, dps. Toss in a cleric merc and a dps merc and you will be good to go for a while.
  10. Treiln Augur

May I also add in an Enchanter? A tank + Enchanter can go far. With a Paladin and his heals, procs, and AAs, with the Enchanters slows, debuffs, runes, and CC, you could run 2 dps mercs.

I run SK/Enchanter and there's nothing I cannot handle.

Another combo would be Druid/Enchanter. Once you get up in levels, Enchanters start putting out some good DPS. If I'm not careful and not paying attention, my Enchanters DoT crits will have him climbing the aggro ladder in a hurry haha. Plus druids have good DoTs and synergizes well with an Enchanter :)
  11. asfasfasfasf Augur

You need something that can tank and something that can heal. So either a real tank, or a strong pet class. And then a shm or dru to heal and do some damage. Usually you can pick whatever you want because mercs can fill any role, but with f2p the mercs are too weak to rely on. So you need to do the main 2 roles yourself. Something to tank, something to heal, and then just have 2 dps mercs to help do a bit of extra damage.
  12. DillyBar Augur

I do pretty good with a cleric and druid. I've started a 3rd account to add a chanter to the mix.
  13. DillyBar Augur

Maybe I need a tank instead though, hmm.
  14. Scorrpio Augur

My tank at 105 with extravagant gear and fairly well developed tank merc AA is pretty good at tanking EoK T1 named. Did not try T2 yet...
  15. asfasfasfasf Augur

You can 2 box through the levels with any 2 classes. But if you want to kill tough nameds and have a chance of surviving a bad pull, then you really need to have a tank. If you subscribed on one account you could keep your cleric/druid/ench and just have a tank merc. But without a subscription the tank merc is too weak to even bother with, so you really need your own tank. If I was you I would replace the cleric with a tank and have the druid as healer and dps, and the ench for pulling, buffs, and some damage.
  16. Gruffish Elder

You forgot Mage + Shaman
  17. Tucoh Augur

If you plan on playing a lot in current content you'll be best with a real tank class. A group-geared tank will handle groups of mobs that will quickly destroy a pet (or tank merc).

SK / Shaman is a really good combination.

I'd also recommend looking to add a third character. Three boxing is great because you have to take care of tanking / utility / healing with the first two characters (and their mercs) and the third character can offer pure DPS.
  18. kookoo Augur

you can place a firecamp as well having a third character .and one more merc.
    playing a free to play tank, you will suffer to not being able to wear most ac augments.
    playing a mage you need at least a decent pet focus ( via earring ). ( there are several non prestige ).

my choice would be mage , shaman , chanter ( or druid for port / track ).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    is it a journeyman tier 5 tank merc? who are decent .

as free to play you can only use an apprentice merc who is a lot weaker than a J5 merc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    like someone said , at some point you may want to use a krono or a month sub , to unlock many aa;s / autogrant
  19. Anhari Augur

Bu the time you get to 105 (or maybe even 85) and would need the J5 merc, you should be able to farm enough plat to be able to buy a Krono or two, depending on what server you are on. Krono prices run all over the place, from around 3K on Agnar to 4.5 to 5 M on Firiona Vie. I can't quote the other servers at this time since I only play on those two servers at this time. Hey I may do some research and post a Krono Pricing guide one day as soon as I can go to each server and check prices.

But I would defiantly get a Krono (or pay subscription) for at least your main to get the AA's. At higher levels, you are crippled without them.
  20. Scorrpio Augur

Yes, I run a J5 tank merc. All my accounts are gold. Also, farming on an FTP account you likely will barely make enough for spells and such. Heck, I had to sell a krono to get some decent gear before I had enough strength to earn my own on-level stuff. Even blowing through higher level content where it rains diamonds, I rarely get more than 6-7k a day of vendor stuff. Kronos on Xegony go for as high as 3 mil - you do the math. A better option is farming harder to get tradeskill mats, but without ability to sell them on bazaar it will be quite hard to offload them. Same goes for going after rare twink items or collectibles - need a way to sell.

Best option, IMHO, is to sub.