Give us an option to turn off Faerune and their ilk... please.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zaxamaphone, May 23, 2014.

1. Zaxamaphone Augur

So recently I was leveling up my gnoll shroud for the new clicky effect and while doing this the game looked soooo much better. Lighting, shadows, colors, everything were more vibrant and not washed out. This was due to not having any armor items with sight enhancing effects like faerune, ultravision, or whatever other names these effects go by.

Could we please get a display option to disable these effects rather than have to take off our armor items that have it naturally on it?

Thank you.
  2. Edrick Augur

I wouldn't mind.

This will never happen on EQ Live again, but I miss the days of East Commonlands being so dark that most people at night would gather around at one of the inns and just let the night pass, talking to each other.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Yther Augur

Are you sure it wasn't also partially a light source? Some light sources really wash things out with brightness. Some epics as an example.

EDIT: Just so you know, I'm not against it. I just like ultravision / faerune, as they make non-dark seeing toons more balanced through the changes in daylight. And light sources tend to change tints and coloring alot more. And shrouding removes all equipment, not just head piece.

Yther Ore.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Oddling New Member

Like you said,Yther,it help us non-uv races like us Northmen & Humanoids see better.Like when it comes to ground spawns.Unlike uv races like all elven races & halfling. It could also be from a particle effect you have if you have a weapon ornament or nimbus' like that. I get that sometime with my war 1.0 (lightsabres)
    Yther and Fenthen like this.
  5. SpamFactory Augur

pretty sure helmets have been light sources for past few expansions, so it's not just the faerune, and it's unlikely that there is code to turn off an equiped lightsource
  6. feiddan Augur

Dynamic lighting can be turned off. I do, since it's resource hog.
    Yther likes this.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

This is it. Dynamic lighting is horrid in bright zones. The light from light sources wash out everything at times.

Another contributing factor can be what level the person has their gamma set to, as that will also cause things to wash out.
    Devs, what is gamma intended to be set to normally?
    Pouncequick and Yther like this.
  8. Yther Augur

It varies by monitor, but in general, most monitors need 1.8 gamma average to get unmodified video to appear as it would on TV with average settings. Give or take of course. What's that mean on the slider? Hmm. My monitor looks like it needs about 1.6 give or take to be balanced, and evens out at 52% on the slider. I generally play with it slightly higher just in case I'm in a really dark place, around 63-68%, but like the look as low as 21% in extremely bright places.

Find a gamma test and play with it, till you get where the 1.0 solid and lined colors look the same to find, what your slider should be at.

If I did that right. I didn't read instructions, and haven't done it since at work calabrating monitors and scanners and stuff, but I think I did it right.

1.6 is what I set it for most TV shows, but a few really dark ones, like Farscape space scenes I like 1.8. This monitor is pretty bright though too, I used to use 2-2.2 on old tube monitors alot.

NOTE: I used the PoV-Ray manual chart at http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.0/218/ for this test.

Yther Ore.