GINA

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by seaninsa, Aug 23, 2020.

1. seaninsa Journeyman

Does anyone here use GINA? I am trying to get it to work. I have 32 logical processors. GINA does not seem to like anything over 16.

I have been to their website too and others had the same issue. I am looking for some help so I use this so I can raid.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

I do use it, but I do not use it with the number of logical processors you do.

What happens when you fire it up? I cannot see more processors causing it to fail totally but stranger things have happened.
  3. seaninsa Journeyman

It also apparently has to do with the fact I am running:AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s). I was reading on FB another couple who have the same processor and they can't get it to work as well. It worked on I7s but not a newer chipset.
  4. Windance Augur

I had the same problem running an AMD 3950 ( supper CPU if you have the work load for it )

As posted above the issue has to do with GINA trying to do something with mapping the cores and who would ever expect to have more than 8 cores?

The trick is to get it started with a command line option that limits the cores. Once you get it loaded you an tell GINA to only use 1-2 cores through the UI.

http://eq.gimasoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=269
  5. seaninsa Journeyman

So how do I do this? I tried some of the scripts written.
  6. Windance Augur

You'll need to follow the directions given in that thread. AND/OR try posting for more assistance on the GINA forums.
  7. seaninsa Journeyman

I have tried to register on those forums and I am not able to :(.
  8. Windance Augur

You should be able to read the post with out registering.

If you don't understand how to follow the instructions there that is a different issue. Its not the 'normal' windows point and click. Some of the key parts are :

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured out a work around.

Gina does not like more than sixteen processors.

So i start Gina.exe via the command line with the start command and specify the number of processors.

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 16 <path>/GINA.exe

You will find gina is a funky part of your directory structure.

C:\Users\johnm\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\YBG7R799.4OP\D4E83OV9.7TK\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_01c7bcb8e29f5572\GINA.exe

navigate to your appdata\local\apps\2.0\

then search for your gina.exe

the entirety of my command line to open gina with 16 processors is below. that is all one line.

c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 16 C:\Users\johnm\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\YBG7R799.4OP\D4E83OV9.7TK\gina..tion_d03ba0016bff7a04_0001.0000_01c7bcb8e29f5572\GINA.exe
    Duder likes this.
  9. seaninsa Journeyman

10. Zerker1231 Lorekeeper

weird i have the 3950x and gina works just fine.
  11. Cannikin Augur

GINA runs fine for me with 18 cores 36 threads (Intel i9 10980xe) and no settings changed, so I don't think it has to do with cores/threads.
  12. seaninsa Journeyman

Well I asked someone else who has the next chipset higher than me from AMD and they had the same issue.
  13. seaninsa Journeyman

hmm not sure what i am doing wrong then...
  14. svann Augur

Did you let it install Microsoft's .Net Framework 4.0?

edit: latest version is 4.8 but looking at my computer I still have 4.0 same as gina installs. If you are above that version then it could be the issue, or obviously if you dont have dot net framework at all that is definitely a problem.
  15. seaninsa Journeyman

Framework you only need for XP users correct?
  16. svann Augur

Not a guru, but I dont think thats right. Why not install and see if it fixes your issue?
  17. Nniki Augur

Version 4 was not automatically included in XP and needed manually installed. If that's what you're asking, yes, but the .NET Framework is a requisite regardless of Windows version. However, more recent versions of Windows have newer versions of the .NET Framework already installed and they're backwards compatible, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    seaninsa likes this.
  18. The real Sandaormo Augur

On my Laptop, which has the Ryzen chip, I get weird lag and repeated tells from Gina. My home computer is a intel chip and does fine. When i have to play on my lap top I old school it and use in game alerts where I can.
  19. seaninsa Journeyman

Windance,
    Could you contact me at ssydnor44@gmail.com. I am still trying to get this figured out.
    Thanks,

Sean
  20. Celestian Elder