Game play freezes, not the screen (BUG)

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Jildaan - Povar, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Reposting, with updates:
    UPDATE - This is still happening at least two to three times a day. Girlfriend has talked to the help desk (this happens randomly between her computer and my three) and have been told to submit a bug on the forums. There is no logic to the freezing, no common denominator that will point to one particular thing. All of our drivers are up to date. Two of the machines are brand new. Just a frustrating issue to diagnose.

Thank you.

Hello,
    I am experiencing a bug that happens several times throughout my playtime. This "bug" is one where my playing "locks up", though doesn't freeze my screen or movements.
    I cannot cast a spell, click on my inventory, camp, pick an item up and if I am in battle the NPC's health stays the same (I know it dies with my group). I have to do a
    control / alt / delete to reboot, then boot my character offline to come back.

This started happening after the release of the Terror of Luclin. I have several accounts running on two different computers and if I "lock" up on one, the other is still
    able to play and vice versa.

With respect,

Jildaan
    120th season Shaman on Povar
    Echoes in Eternity
    Kroolhand78 likes this.
  2. Velisaris_MS Augur

That sounds like a lag/connection issue. Can you still move, but just have no response from the game?

When it happens, can you tab out of EQ and use other programs?

Make sure you put an exception in your anti-virus program/windows defender for the entire EQ folder.

Delete and then turn off your logfile. It might be so large that it's causing an issue.

It also sounds like maybe your ISP is blocking certain ports that EQ needs. It wouldn't hurt to contact them and see if they can help.
  3. Soulbanshee Augur

You already posted this and got locked, so to me that seems like it is telling something about your situation.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-play-but-not-locking-up.280587/#post-4100278

Another user posted and was directed to check their logs and they were getting stunned by the mob which prevents any input.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-character-freezes-up-when-in-a-fight.280374/
  4. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

1) Can still move around and about in the game.
    2) Can tab out and use any other function of the computer with ease.
    3) Exceptions in anti-virus done. Note: This was also happening on several of my older comps (before obtaining my newer one) that ran the game for a decade without issue.
    4) Log file cleared and turned off. Log file was never turned "on" on a older computer that experienced the issue.
    5) We were operating on wireless. I had for 5+ years, then when the GF started playing did so for 8 months without issue. Switched to a hard wired connection, issue still reared its head.

Another side note: After moving to the wired connection, we experienced the "freezing" for 4-5 days, now we haven't seen it happen recently (past couple days), but we haven't been online as much either.

The only common denominator here is this started happening after the last expansion release.
  5. Derka Power Ranger

When does this happen during play? Kinda sounds like what happens when your character gets knocked out into purple health and you can't use abilities. Sometimes switching to windowed mode and back using Alt+Enter can fix some lockup issues.
  6. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Totally, 100% random. Can happen when switching chars, middle of a raid, running zone line to zone line (even after picking up shinies) you won't be able to zone out, camp etc. No logic behind it.
  7. Derka Power Ranger

Do you use a VPN?
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

That really sounds like a connection issue...like you stopped receiving data from the server. Your ISP is probably blocking certain ports that EQ needs.

Do you box on your computer, or one account per computer?
  9. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Nope
  10. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Girlfriends computer - one account.
    >>My new computer - one account
    >>My second computer - two accounts at times, not as a rule.
    >>My third computer, which was replaced with the new one - when I was using it for EQ, one account. Just a research computer now.

Note: this was happening to the 2nd and 3rd computer (prior to my purchase of the new one) randomly, and those two computers ran EQ solidly for 6-10 years without a hiccup - until the new expansion.

This "freezing" happens randomly, with only one computer on and playing one account, or running all my accounts on all the computers. Oh, regarding that, it will affect only one account, not all across the board. If I am boxing, it will happen to one account but not the other.

Talked to some tech savvy guildies, and they are scratching their heads as well.

There is zero common denominator pointing towards <this is the issue>.

Shrug.
  11. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

/net command results, and of course it varies slightly every time one does it:

Master - 62
    average - 65
    low - 61
    high - 84
    last - 62
    reliable average 274

packet loss
    sent - 0.02%
    rcvd - 0.00%
  12. Jildaan - Povar Uncle Crispy

Still no fix on this. Do devs monitor?