Game Crippling lag on one toon.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ninelder, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Ninelder Augur

I two box on one computer, using alt+tab. I know you may think that's primitive but, I paid for and tried [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] and it was so awkward and "un-user-friendly" that I gave up on it after about 3 months. Alt tab has served me well for 20 years and I am used to it, so I don't really care about wasting any more time trying to get a horrible third party program to work. Thus my problem:

Lately, one of the toons will start to lag out severely while the other one is completely unaffected. I mean like one toon flows seamlessly while the other is stuck at 0.1 FPS, I will fight a mob kill it and see the loot while the other toon sees it at 50pct and it takes 3more minutes before he sees it die.

I haven't changed anything, both toons use the same eqclient.ini, and i have EQ set up as priority to use all processors in the start up, even loading four toons back in the day wasn't a problem but i can't handle two now on the same gaming computer that can play online FPS games based in Asia flawlessly.

So, what is going on? How do I fix it?

Thanks
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Is it always the same char that has low fps, or is it the one in the background?
    There is a graphic setting, where you can set the framerate for the client when it is not in focus. Maybe that is set really low?
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

You might have a corrupt file that only affects that toon's race graphics. Try full file check. On launcher, lower left click advanced tools, then validate game assets. Longshot guess but you never know.
  4. Ninelder Augur

I alt+tab, both toons spend time in the foreground and background. Framerate is saved in EQclient.ini, which is the same for all toons played on the same computer. If you change an EQclient.ini setting on one toon, it changes it on all of them. Now you can adjust the one toons setings midgame, but the EQclient.ini of whichever toon you log out on last will be every toons EQclient.ini when you log in again.
  5. Ninelder Augur

The toon in particular this happened to last is a gnome mage, who stays a gnome mage when he is on his helicopter mount in outdoor zones. In indoor zones i always change him to a brownie or a belikos so he matches the other toons in group. Same problem no matter the "race" graphic. I will do a full file check. But as it isn't constant, I won't know if it is fixed until and unless it lags out again.

Thank you both for the feedback.
  6. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Does the laggy character have a minimized chat window? There's an odd bug I encountered where a minimized chat window will cause unbearable lag. I am not sure why it happens (only happened to me on 2 specific characters, never on others). To fix it, I re-made my chat windows on these characters. I wasn't able to figure out exactly why it happens. Instead of having a minimized chat window for spam, I send my spam to a tab that is all the way on the right of a different chat window.
    Metanis, Svann2 and Szilent like this.