Gain rate is too low

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Dec 28, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The OP has a point and the dialogue has been fairly constructive so far. I'm not sure why some people are turning it into political posturing or football team-like debate.
  2. Fian Augur

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. I misquote, it is apparently 72 not 90.
    Benito likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Riou clarified that 72 minutes has been standard for 12+ years.

I do not doubt your concern as I have personally experienced streaky spawn behavior (3 named in 1 hour then a drought for days).

I'm not sure if something was tweaked or if they can dampen the RNG streaks.
  4. Fian Augur

I don't believe that. Especially when a name had multiple ph. The 72 min rate now applies to all ph combined. If you only clear one ph you are going to have a very long camp.
  5. Riou EQResource

It's always applied to having all PH killed every cycle (within the minute of spawn, iirc some have even been if you killed it the instant it spawned)
    Svann2 and Sancus like this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Minotaur Hero anyone?
  7. Fenthen aka Rath

The problem with a lot of ToL is there is a singular placeholder for many of the nameds - Shadow Valley, BoA, etc. It's helped by the massive decrease in spawn timers, though!
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

They need to put large currency reward amounts on the progression achievements (since you only get them once).

Then, they need to make merc tasks repeatable for xp (like they used to be prior to RoS) and small currency rewards. I'm not sure what the replay timers on merc tasks are, but they could they could increase that to prevent abuse.

Every achievement for an expansion needs to have some amount of currency as a reward.
    Shindius likes this.
  9. Cadira Augur

Anecdotally, mobs def take way longer to kill (about twice as long) this year than they did at the beginning of say, tov. Boxing the same crew, always having max AA and raid weapons from the year before.

I felt cov mobs had a few too many HP for the small increase in player power but it wasn't enough to really make a thread about. I feel like they used the same multiplier and it is starting to push mob HP out of whack on the far right side of the spectrum and they aren't appropriately giving us the gear and/or aas to compensate.

I should get the same XP per hour at the beginning of each new expansion as I did the last, and this feels like half.

Easiest fix is probably just a straight reduction in HP across the board, just my opinion.
    Skuz, Marton and Sancus like this.
  10. Tappin Augur

The problem with XP is more of complicated of an issue than most want you to believe. Trolls on this forum try to pretend it does not exist. However, I do not think reducing HPs would solve anything, probably cause more problems than help.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You are against lowering mob HP or mitigation? This should help your grind argument.

I grow increasingly convinced that you want to create the conditions to sell accounts (tough grind for everyone else).
  12. Tappin Augur

You were previously complaining about mass killing. I do not think mass killing is a problem currently (yes people still do it), but if you reduce HPs it's going to be a problem. The whole thing that makes mass killing possible is avoiding mob's burst dps, and that is done mostly with DPS.

Also, try playing a necro in melee dps group. Fun times.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have no problem with mass killing/swaming. I was referencing casual, new, and returning players' inability to mass kill. (The context being the leg up provided by Overseer and Achievement XP). Otherwise, swarming would remain the reserve of raid geared SKs.

Lowering mob HP/mitigation would help casual, new, and returning players (on the grind front). But, somehow, you want EQ to be extra grindy. You have a very idiosyncratic view of game design. (Every player has a nuanced position but you seem very tailored to tougher grind-centric focus).
  14. Tappin Augur

It would create more of a problem than what it's worth in many ways besides just exp. It's not about making things a grind.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So 'just trust me, bro'? Keep mob HP/mitigation high and shift XP away from Overseer and Achievement to mobs. Sounds very tailored to account selling.
  16. Tappin Augur

There is a discrepancy (in terms of exp) in favor of progression/Overseers from more traditional means of leveling a character. That discrepancy needs to be reduced a bit to make life less miserable for casual players. However, it's easier said then done. The amount of EXP to level a character needs to be reduced; the amount exp from progression needs to reduced a bit and applied more uniformly across each of the task. The amount of exp from mobs also may needed to be adjusted as well. But none of that can happen if mob hps/mitigation is reduced.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In what world do you put such specific artificial constraints? The world where the only route to progress is botting in ST or buying accounts from someone who does? Lol.
  18. Tappin Augur

I don't know what your problem is. DP introduced a new model for leveling your character - who cares the reason for it. No one would have ever embraced the model if they did not incentivize it. It's my opinion that they over incentivize it. You can argue that HPs need to be reduced, but that would absolutely have to be done with caution and probably better off doing with next arc. It going to cause too many problems and not worth it.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Here we go again, the Tappin and Benito show derailing another thread. LOL.
    Act of Valor likes this.
  20. Cadira Augur

I just kind of look at it like this;

T1 tov mobs had what....like 20m hp give or take? The ideal mob to kill en mass for XP in cov or tov at 115.

T1 tol mobs have like, 50m hp or so last I checked.

Both give the same aa per kill or super close (almost exactly 1 AA) from what I remember.

I can't think of anyone who would consider, overall as an entire player base, that we have gained 2.5x the dps we had since tov. Melee weap ratios probably increased 25%, aas prob added 5 to 10%....it doesn't add up. Now mobs having their current HP levels is all fine in good, but only if their XP is vastly increased to compensate.

Either reduce HP or increase aa XP gain seems logical. Leave level XP the same (if that's possible, idk how that works).
    Marton likes this.