Further response to the Tradeskill Depot issue

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by JChan, Nov 30, 2023.

1. Apple New Member

I am curious if the duplicated rare trade skill items have also been removed from the servers. Are people's inventories just full TS items they can exchange for plat or craft in the future for gains ?
  2. Oldeqplayer Journeyman

Percentages are a great way to obfuscate the issue.
  3. Achillez Elder

First I would like to extend my gratitude for acknowledging the issue and allowing open community discourse around it. I hope this is the start to a new trend of transparency and open conversation with the customer base.

As a paid subscriber who began playing Everquest in 1999, I can understand and empathize with the fact that issues/bugs will come up that require fixes/patches. What has been most aggravating is not when a bug or exploit is found, but more so the lack of communication or acknowledgment when an issue is identified and or resolved. I don't care about the specific details - if it impacts a large population of the game's paid subscribers, a curtacy "we have been made aware of an issue impacting X and are working to resolve it" and/or "we have resolved the issue impacting X" in a forum post, Discord sitcky or patch note would be enormously appreciated moving forward.

A final point I wanted to touch on, which many others have already brought up - the numbers given do not even remotely match the very basic sniff test any player can observe while buying/selling items on Oakwynd pre/post the fix. This is not a 50% discrepency or even a 200% difference then what one would expect given the numbers presented, but a divergence of multiple orders of magnitude. I am not a statistician (though I large part of my profession is working with and reporting metrics over time within large relational databases) but a 0.22% pump in the platinum economy would not result in the selling and buying/bartering of all items by 10-20x, 10 days post the fix. I have no skin in the game as I don't play on Oakwynd, but certainly feel for the players that saw their platinum savings drop 90-95% in value overnight, or sold their paid for krono at less then 10% of the barter price well over a week after the reported fix.

Presenting numbers and statistics which can most charitably be interepreted as extremely misleading, only further dimishes player trust.
  4. jiri_ Augur

It was reported in the Bug Report subforum here on 11/15.
    Raptorjesus5 and zmaten like this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

And keep it in context. It's a fraction of a fraction. Treating this like an apocalyptic event is ... dumb. Ya'll need to chill out. Have a beer.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Servers_are_Down Error 404: Server status not found.

I think the numbers could potentially make sense, but I am now very curious of how much platinum is 10.02% of the duplicated platinum? Since, according to your post, would be the amount of plat 'not recovered' from this incident.

I haven't played since August, but it sounds to me like there is an extreme excess still, so it would be interesting to put a value to the percentage
  7. JChan Developer

The total platinum generated on Oakwynd was roughly 2.2% of Oakwynd's economic availability.
  8. Numiko Augur

The thing is plat was not what was dupped if what I heard is correct.

The plat generated at the snapshot Jen mentioned maybe was just 2.2% but could it be some people were still sitting on stacks of high value materials undetected by DB who simply waited for the heat to die down before cashing them in causing the excess we see now?

Was every account on the servers TS bank checked for excessive materials?
  9. Dirkman Journeyman

So if only 2.2% was generated and only .22% of that was not removed then why are Krono on Oakwynd 15x the price they were before the dupe? They went from 40k plat to 600k plat as of this post.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Prices in most economies are quick to rise and glacial to fall. It would not take much for the sellers to create the impression that the new inflated price is because of supply and demand even though most of the bad plat has been taken out of the economy.
  11. brickz Augur

People keep repeating this line but people are BUYING dozens of kronos in /barter for 600k which means they have millions of plat still
    OldTimeEQ1 likes this.
  12. zmaten New Member

Just release a new TLP at this point. You can clearly see that Oakwynd was/is hit hard with no hope for a recovery anytime soon. I canceled 3 accounts and just kept my main active for now for raiding. I myself lost everything that I had saved for the latest expansion to toss on my trader. When you see players in /Bar buying Kronos for 500k x 200 you have a problem that is here to stay for awhile. The lack of DB doing anything but sit on their hands is a sad but not shocking thing to see. I have seen the numbers of players just in my guild alone drop well under half of what it was pre-dup. Sad to see this happening and nothing being done about it.
  13. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

What do people mean by the word '' dupe '' in this thread?
    Obviously I don't know what is going on.

Was an item recreated by players and put into the game?
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Because Plat has always been easy to get in EQ, especially at this point in time when everyone knows the best places to farm it. It is not uncommon for people to be sitting on millions of plat at this point. People buying at this prices would be buying at any prices. They are likely using the Krono, not trading with it or reselling them.
  15. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Why would ANYONE sit on millions of plat? people ALWAYS buy a krono, to hedge against inflation (krono goes up in value, plat never does). This is excluding the four who wont touch a krono in any way btw.

People might be sitting on PP hoping krono prices go down from the currentvery abnormal 650 K (instead of usual 60 to 70 K pp per, Oakwynd is a TLP and in Luclin) . Other than that * AT ANY POINT* in EQ it is not at ALL common for anyone to be sitting on millions of plat ( or quantities of plat which is much greater than the price of a Krono).
  16. Qalliel Lorekeeper

@Angeliana and @Jchan this is not meant in any way rude but as an honest question, This is a multi-million-dollar company is there no one who is responsible for any sort of on call alerts or on call work when regarding issues like this?
    zmaten and Metanis like this.
  17. Numiko Augur

Title of the thread tells you "where" the dup was occurring.

I want to repeat I think counting the total plats created by the time they patched this it is a poor metric to consider for the impact of this Dup on servers as it was not plats that were being created out of thin air but rather Trade Skill materials.

How many people are still sitting on stacks of dupped Blue Diamonds or other high value TS materials waiting for memories to fade.

Until someone actually vendors them no extra plats will be created.
  18. Barton-Vox Fizzlethorpe Rules !!

This is how you can make math say anything you want as long as you use enough word soup

"economic availability" Ok please define this in detail.
  19. Irisa New Member

Krono the day of the patch the 15th was 65k and by that Friday was hovering right at 75k that is the night that plat shot up from 75k to over 2m per krono.

40k had not been seen since right before Luclin Launch a week earlier.

I had a trader up that night and sold 433k in spells that were selling 5x higher than they were bought from me for the next morning.

22% is laughable...but this idea it was only 40k prior to the exploit is also far off the mark.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

An "on-call" person isn't going to have the authority to take down all game servers and it would need to be escalated to upper management to make the call that an issue warrants taking the game servers offline to fix.