Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Kleitus_Xegony, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Looking for some advice on what I'm doing wrong....

Over the years, I've tried dozens of times and have never been able to get this aug to drop. In the past though, I was always able to get the right chest to spawn to at least get the chance at it: "a frost covered box". It used to pop like clockwork. I've been trying to get the aug again for a while now and I keep getting the "a frost-glazed box" to pop at the end instead. It seems to have the "Miragul's Enchanted Focusing Shard" in it - which is listed as dropping from the "a frost covered box". Allakhazam doesn't even list the "a frost-glazed box" as one of the chests and I'm pretty sure it pops in the same place as the "a frost covered" box.

In the past I've always followed the directions as they're laid in this post: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=4198#m121656478727774287

Now, I can't get the right chest anymore. I've tried changing things up a bit by winning the warder event instead of losing but that didn't seem to help either. I've changed how fast and what order I kill the blobs in. I think I've even killed the goblins in different order. None of it seems to matter and I can't figure out if something has changed (possible) or what I might be forgetting about that I'm now doing wrong.

Here's the text from the progress report on the last failed run:

[Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] You say, 'progress'
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] Durgin Skell says, 'Progress, hmm? Let me see...'
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] Ah, you found a way to put the chromatic skeletons to permanent rest. Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me.
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] From the bits of dust and bone on your armor I can tell you have successfully handled Miragul's splintering bone golem.
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] Well now... I see you have destroyed the splitting sludge. Quite an annoying pest, isn't it?
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] Your failure to protect the body of my beloved Sharalla is disconcerting. I'm sure you tried your best, but in this case it wasn't good enough.
    [Thu Feb 15 06:57:38 2018] I heard the unmistakable sound of that behemoth crashing to the ground all the way from here. Fantastic job. A most commendable effort!
    This run got me 2 x "Miragul's Enchanted Focusing Shard".

So....., any tips. It'll be 4 1/2 days before I can try again, but try again I will. I can't be the last person still trying to get this aug, so maybe we can help someone else out as well.
  2. Lianeb Augur

I have not done this in a while but aren't there multiple chest throughout the zone?
  3. gotwar Gotcharms

There are multiple boxes/barrels/chests at the end of the instance. Open them all. I got mine out of a barrel.

I realize Alla says it only drops from one specific chest, but that info is wrong.
  4. Fohpo Augur

Break everything in the last room after boss is dead like gotwar said.
  5. Blitter Elder

I did this a week or so back (took me 3 runs).

I only saw the frost-glazed box, never the one that Allakhazam describes. I got my aug from the frost-glazed box. Just keep trying, hope that helps.
  6. fransisco Augur

What is the use for this since it isn't type 3?
    Ac aug in a weapon is a waste.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

A shield's type-5 slot.
  8. Warpeace Augur

Best shield AC aug in game for the slot.
  9. fransisco Augur

10. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Thanks for the info.... I guess I'll just keep at it. I do open the other boxes, the frozen table, etc..., except this last time when I decided to post the question. Apparently, I'm eating up all of the unlucky runs of this raid where the aug doesn't drop so that people like Blitter can get it on their 3rd try. I guess all I can say is you're welcome. :p
  11. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Loot tables on lot of those ldon raids can be especially fickle. Have had frosty drop 5 times in a row, then not again for 30 runs. Keep at it yo.
  12. Rowanoak Elder

As other posters have noted, there are multiple chest types at the end of the mission, iirc this is the one with the glowey red room at the end? Either way, the "chests" appear as mundane objects, little tables, barrels etc and either 3-4 there at the end. Cycle through nearest target and check around the outsides of the room, if you want to be completely sure, bring a tracker, all boxes should show, good luck, seems about 20 percent chance in my experience
  13. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Yes..., I know about the other chests, barrels, table, etc... and I open them all (except this morning - I only opened the table out of frustration). I was just starting to think I was doing something wrong because I remember getting the "a frost covered box" all the time in the past, but was now getting the "a frost-glazed chest". It sounds like I've just been exceptionally unlucky which is fine - it happens. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong that I simply forgot about.
  14. Brohg Augur

The kind of loot containers don't vary.

The shield aug is not in the instance with frozen furniture, the one with frozen furniture is Synarcana. One of the good +atk type3 augs comes from there, but not shield aug.

Shield aug comes from the bigass golem one; there's a chest and a box and a barrel in the correct raid. If you're not getting three: one box one chest one barrel, then you need to revise your method versus one of the events. I forget the fail mechanisms as I have never failed them, but I recall that it's possible.
  15. Orbital101 Augur

Chests location and Ldon raid walk through are included in my map pack with much cleaner maps...
    Brohg likes this.
  16. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I'm doing the "bigass golem" raid. There is a frozen table in the area with all of the spiders, by one of the goblin dudes.... It's the only piece of frozen furniture I've seen in there. It always seems to have something that looks like lettuce in it. There's also another chest by the one set of skeletons.

I went ham with my mage burning like crazy on the skeletons part once with twincasting the AE nukes and beams. Somehow one of the skeletons must have resisted more than once, they got all out of whack - one red, 3 icy, etc.... They despawned, the progress report from Durgin said they were put to rest but I did not get the box. All I got was the chest and the barrel when the golem died.

You can get 1 chest, 1 box, 1 barrel at the end (when the bigass golem dies) whether you fail or pass the Sharalla's Warder test. The write-up on Zam's claims you need to fail that one to get the correct box. It makes it sound like that event can overwrite the reward for the skeleton event. I've tried it both ways and keep getting the "a frost-glazed" box which is what prompted me to ask what I was doing wrong in the first place.

I don't think you can't realistically fail the ooze or the Marrow (the splintering bone golem) tasks. They're straight tank and spanks just like the golem at the end. The big ooze you kill, splits into smaller oozes which split again - kill all the oozes to win. Marrow you just straight kill. The only ones you can fail are the warder test (by letting the animals feast on the corpse) and the skeleton task (not killing the skeletons correctly).

I'm using your maps (thanks for all the work on them). Never thought of looking at it for more info since I have that raid zone just about memorized. I'll pay better attention to the map next time through to make sure I didn't miss something.
    Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, 2.5 more days till the next run.
  17. Brohg Augur

I've never engaged with the goblins or spiders in farming the augment.

On skeletons, I've done them with melee on either the careful one-by-one plan or just riposting & waiting while they sort themselves. Targeted spells should work fine, or just /pet attacking them. The twincast AEs plan sounds kinda custom designed to make it as hard as possible :p

I've never intentionally failed the warder.

I don't think I'd have noticed if the chest changed names.
  18. Orbital101 Augur

Raid stuffs are on layer 1 for Ldon.
  19. Gio-Cefalu Augur

FWIW, I ran that raid several times for my SK, and I specifically remember that the box that dropped the aug for me was not the same name as the box that was listed on Allakhazam. According to magelo, it can drop from either of these boxes: a frost-glazed box or a frost covered box. I have read some folks ran this over and over and over again (20 times) before they got the aug. I think you are just getting really bad RNG.
    Kleitus_Xegony likes this.
  20. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Thanks. I'm still unlucky.... :mad:
    Several more Cooling Stone of Health, Miragul's Enchanted Focusing Shard, Dark Shard of Destruction plus several (2 this morning) Lemming Fur and Glob of Slush Water.

Nothing like getting everything else possible under the sky besides what you want out of those chests. Also had a frost covered barrel in place of the one frozen table by the spiders at the start of the zone. That was a new one for me. Right now, the RNG really hates me.