Friend can't start EoK progression due to faction issue

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by OlavSkullcrusher, Jan 28, 2018.

1. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

A friend I play with regularly is having trouble doing the "Concerned Citizens" quest at the start of EoK progression. She cons dubious to "a harried page" and he won't speak to her. We've tried killing sarnaks in Frontier Mountains and Chardok, thinking that this NPC is on one of the New Combine factions that go up when you kill sarnaks. She is still dubious, but maybe we've spent 'only' a few hours killing sarnaks. I don't think she's done anything to lower the faction, as we both box and none of her other characters have that problem.

I saw a post on ZAM under this quest from Nov. 2016 by a guy with the same problem, but no one had a resolution to the issue. Anyone know what is going on?
  2. xxGriff Augur

From ZAM: "You'll want to do at least one mercenary quest in Katta Castrum: Deluge to get Scribe Oastslides to recommend you in this task." Maybe more tasks in Katta-Deluge for faction.
  3. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

That's not a bad guess, but she's tried that. She's done all of the mercenary quests (the write up only specifies one) and they don't give any faction hits.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

5. Cloudia Augur

You need to do the OLD tasks in kata from TBS not TDS, so the lvl 70? tasks. That is the combine faction you need. Work on your combine soldiers ring
  6. Gialana Augur

This has not been my experience. On newer characters who have never gone to a TBS zone, I've been able to complete Concerned Citizens.

People above are talking about needing to do at least one TDS quest to get Scribe Oastlides in the TDS version of Katta to "recommend" you. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. In any case, the Scribe is the second step of the quest, and it sounds like the OP is stuck on the first step.

To the OP, I'm assuming you've gotten the Concerned Citizens quest from a concerned citizen and that you can't get past the first step. Here are some things to try. Make sure you're in the base pick (this is a long shot since there shouldn't be enough people in Lceanium to open a second pick, make sure you're not invisible, and say "recommendation" to the harried page. Hailing the harried page is useless. You must manually type "recommendation."
    xxGriff likes this.
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

Check language make sure its set to Common?
    what level is your friend I think min is lvl 95

you should be getting a message
    MAKE SURE YOUR HUGGING THE NPC
    You say, 'commendation'

a harried page says 'That's all? Well, I don't know you. Go get a letter of [recommendation] from [Scribe Oastlides]. I will also need a Form 241B and Form 989S. You can get them from the records clerk. Don't forget to fill the forms before you hand them to me.'

You say, 'Why do I need a letter of recommendation?'

Your task 'Concerned Citizens' has been updated.

a harried page says 'Look. Can't you see how busy I am? Go see [Scribe Oastlides].'

You say, 'Where is Scribe Oastlides?'

a harried page says 'Really? You don't know. Are you [sure] you have helped the combine and deserve a commendation?'

You say, 'I am sure.'

a harried page says 'Fine, fine. I don't have time to argue. You can find him in Katta Castrum. I think they have the dome leaks under control.'

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=8272

zone to TDS and due the 1st quest if not done
    Tactician Sodut #1: Elemental Rage

Talk to the NPC and get an item.
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Yes, she is stuck on the first step after getting the quest from a concerned citizen. My characters and her other ones conned apprehensive to start to the harried page, while her stuck toon is dubious (still, after killing something like 100 sarnaks). I'll mention saying "recommendation" to the page rather than just hailing, since that gets a response like "Oh look, a talking pile of refuse" rather than the quest text.

CrazyLarth,

The usual suspects of things people don't check don't seem to be the issue (her stuck character is 106). From one of the links above, this seems to be a known issue that affected a few people way back when the expansion opened. I was hoping that one of the devs would remember and have a solution other than killing a few hundred more sarnaks.
  9. Gialana Augur

I vaguely remember people complaining about a faction problem on this quest, either in the beta forums for EoK or shortly after the launch. But I don't remember if it was confirmed as a problem by DBG or if there was a solution. Unfortunately, my quick search did not find the old posts that listed this faction problem.
    Besides the language CrazyLarth suggested, my only other thought would be trying an illusion. I don't know if it will work on this npc, but illusions do affect the opposing factions in the next zone, Scorched Woods.
  10. Cloudia Augur

This has not been my experience. On newer characters who have never gone to a TBS zone, I've been able to complete Concerned Citizens.

People above are talking about needing to do at least one TDS quest to get Scribe Oastlides in the TDS version of Katta to "recommend" you. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about. In any case, the Scribe is the second step of the quest, and it sounds like the OP is stuck on the first step.

Yes, but are these heroic toons by chance, those have some progression flags pre-set.
    TBS faction was base combine, not sure on TDS faction hits from task.
    Reason to go do a few in zone TBS tasks is they are quick and easy, blow thru a few in no time solo/molo for the faction bump.
  11. CrazyLarth Augur

well if the issue is faction then you might have to do more the one quest in TDS (Katta Castrum: Deluge) since that is the faction this toon is on I think .
  12. Narogg Augur

Dubious is fine. perfectly fine.
    The deal with the Lcea tasks is they were never coded to respond to hails. The devs went in and changed a few things after beta, but for the most part you have to READ the response each NPC gives you and remember why they tell you to go talk to that other NPC.

Not to mention that your using the wrong key word.

Here is the walk thru, for this task.
    https://naroggsplace.wordpress.com/eq-a-concerned-citizen/