Freshly Minted Heroic Level 85 Paladin. Need Help!

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Psyran, May 16, 2014.

1. Psyran Journeyman

Hey everyone! I was wondering what is a useful spell line up for someone to learn how play their new heroic Paladin? I do plan on being the main tank in my guild someday, but need to learn what is useful to stay alive. I don't box and I mainly just do dailies and occasionaly group with guildies. If I am doing dailies, would I use a J5 Caster DPS merc and just keep him alive?

What AA's should I keep out and on a bar? What AA's are vital to a Paladin's survival? Lastly, are the Paladin epics worth getting other than to say that I did them? Thanks for the help.
  2. Ravengloome Augur

3. Dibab Augur

Well first of all welcome to the paladin class.

AAs to keep an eye out for as soon as you get them, Ageless Enmity, Beacon of Rightousness, Force of Disruption, Armor of the Inquisitor. Those are a good set of AAs to keep on a hotbar for either snap agro or helping keep it, depending on your AA. Other stuff to keep maxed as you level will be Combat Agi and Combat Stability, all of your healing AAs, Shield Block. As for your Planar Stat Caps, Heroic AGI, DEX, and STA. Personally STA being the last of those 3. Also Depending on your situation I use the Fundatment of Holiness Spires. 1 being increased heals 2 beings increased weap damage. Third Spire is used to tanking Survival. Also as i honestly don't know when they stopped adding the AAs for it, but max out your Hastened Deflection as that is a necessary Disc to use when tanking heavy hitting named. Great to get you established on the mob and your group time to get read also. Projection of Piety is a hate pet that helps also.

As for the epics. I personally did mine, but more so for the title and to say i did them than actual necessity.

Sorry if this post seems all over the place, i just typed as things came to mind, but i do hope this was helpful =)
  4. Ravengloome Augur

2.0 is essential

40% heal mod for 1 minute/5 minutes is god.
  5. sojero One hit wonder

The effect degrades on spell over level 75, so its not useful in today's game at level 100.
  6. Psyran Journeyman

Great thanks for the help everyone. I only had a few more questions. I have heard that Paladins can hold agro away from a Caster DPS merc who is set on burn. I can handle agro on balanced so that isn't a problem. Can anyone tell me how this is possible at lvl 85? Can anyone put together a good Pulling and keep agro strat for a lvl 85? Should I even use Divine Stun? Should I upgrade my gear to VoA tier 1 or wait till i get to lvl 92? Just want to make sure I am goin down the right path.
  7. sojero One hit wonder

at 85 this is the following agro spells I would cast to keep agro, you can rotate divine stun aa in as well
    Devout Force
    Force of the Crying Seas
    Crush of the Crying Seas
    Crush of Compunction
    Eulogy
    add in Lesson of Compunction if the above does not keep agro for you.

be careful of stun knockback, it can mess with melee, but in a full caster group its fine.

note at 86 you can have bothe eulogy and Elegy memed, and replace the lowest one every 5 levels from there. replace the stuns with new ones as you get them. As you get higher you might change up your spell sets, there are many posts on the forums for spell sets at higher levels.
  8. Cove New Member

The 40% heal mod from clicky portion of Paladin epic does not degrade, so very worth while to knock out still. I'm pretty sure you sent me a tell a few days ago with some questions while I was on a raid so couldn't get to you quickly, feel free to toss me a tell again next time you catch me on.
  9. sojero One hit wonder

[IMG] Touch of Ablution

Description
    1: Increase Healing by 1% to 40%
    2: Limit: Max Level(75) (lose 5% per level over cap) <--- I believe it does degrade
    3: Limit: Effect (Hitpoints allowed)
    4: Limit: Instant spells only
    5: Limit: Spell Type (Beneficial only)
    6: Limit: Spell (Complete Heal excluded)
    7: Limit: Spell (Complete Heal excluded)
    8: Limit: Effect (Percentage Heal excluded)
    9: Limit: Combat Skills Not Allowed
  10. Cove New Member

You are looking at the focus effect and not the clicky. This is the clicky.

Flames of the Valiant

Not a player spell: Clicky, NPC spell, Proc, etc.

Slot 1: Increase Healing Taken by 40%
    Slot 2: Add Proc: Flames of the Valiant Strike with 200% Rate Mod
  11. sojero One hit wonder

Thank you, I was looking at the wrong one. Been forever since I actually used that thing on my wives pally, don't raid with her :) and haven't found the need for it in the group game
  12. Ravengloome Augur

*** oops I made a post to tell you were wrong, without reading the posts before me***

Also if you can't find a use for it in the group game...

Pull moar mobs.
  13. sojero One hit wonder

don't need to, I only play the wives pally to keep it leveled for when she wants to play, my raid geared sk is the tank :)
  14. sojero One hit wonder

and ironically playing a pally as a bot with a cleric or sham with the sk + 3 caster mercs works really well. I usually sub a bard in for the pally (same acct) when shes fully leveled and has the aa i care to get on her.

But pally as a bot brings many tools to the table, extra healing incase main healer dies, decent dps, I pull around 7-10k(15-20k on burns if procs go well and that only clicking 4 buttons) with her boxing, splash, extra mitigation, stuns, paci, and backup tank if I really need it, and brells. I do find pally's to be an extremely versatile class if played right.
  15. Ravengloome Augur

I actually used to do the same thing with my pally/SK
  16. Psyran Journeyman

Should I go for my VoA tier 1 gear or just hold out till lvl 92?
  17. sojero One hit wonder

depends on if you are tanking at the time and if you find that you need it. I know many that have groups of friends that they play with that don't need to tank till later skip voa because rof gear is cheaper because its more current. But if you are solo/molo or boxing and MT you may find you want to, or stay in HOT zones till you hit 92 or go after weak mobs in shards till then.