Free to play accounts

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silgurdar, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Silgurdar New Member

Hello,

I have some questions about free to play accounts vs. paid accounts
    1. What are the limitations on Free to play account? I read an FAQ about it but it was not very specific. For example is there a level restriction or can you level all the way up to 105?
    2. I read you cannot gain any new AA points, but can you still use all the AA abilities you have gained as paid account?
    3. I read you cannot use Journeyman mercenaries, but someone said there is a quest in Feerrot that you can do which would allow that. Is that true?
    4. I also read all your Rank II spells will be cast as Rank I spells, but once again you can get around that by buying some item with Station Cash. What is that item called and how much does it cost?
    5. Are there any restrictions on items you can use (armor, weapons, augments, etc.)? If there are, how does the client show unsuitable items?
    6. Are there any other changes that happen to your character when you log on for the first time as FP account?
    7. I also read that at least there used to be some issues when you start paying for your account again after playing as FP account. I heard your character would be a mess because of items missing, spells missing, etc. Are there any such issues any more?
    The reason I ask is because a have a friend who stopped paying for his account couple of months ago because he lost his job. He said he will start paying again once he has money for it, but we would still like to play together, unless there are some serious limitations on what his characters can do or some complications when he starts paying in the future.

He has several level 100+ characters which are pretty well equipped (non-raid stuff, though) and almost all tradeskills maxed, etc.

Thanks!
  2. Rykard Augur

Hello Silgurdar,

I think playing free to play is very possible. As a matter of fact, it is the way I play. I, however, think going from a all-access raid character to f2p maybe painful or at least game changing. I will try to answer you questions to help you decide if it is worth it for you and your friend.

You are limited to no prestige items. To quickly summarize, this would be limiting you to T1-T2 group armor, T1 Raid armor(correct me if wrong), and non-prestige augmentations.

As far as leveling, you can level all the way to the highest expansion level limit that you have which if you purchased TBM would be 105. Current, free expansion limits are 100 ar COTF.

You can use all AA abilities which were gained when your account was paid. You can go all access for a month and acquire new AAs during that month if desired.

As F2P, you have access to Apprentice mercenaries. I think A1 or A2 merc is the limit. Silver accounts have a slightly higher limit which I have forgotten. It maybe A1 for free and A2 for silver.

The quests for mercenaries are limited by your account access limits. You can complete them but will still be limited by your access level or the A1-A2 levels. These are not as bad as you think.

Rank 1 spells would be your limit ,but you can purchase a rank 2 unlocker if desired.

You will be limited to non-prestige items.

Free accounts are limited to character slots. I believe it is 4, so only four character slots will be available for use. I do not know how it decides which 4 characters will be accessible.

Additionally, you will not have access to trader mode in the bazaar.

I have not gone back to paying, so unfortunately I can not answer this question. Instinct is telling me no issues. I also have not heard anything specifically.

Hope this helps,

Rykard
    Silgurdar likes this.
  3. Silgurdar New Member

Thanks, Rykard!

That does not sound so bad then. He does not have any raid level items, but he might have very high level tradeskill items. I am not sure if those would be prestige or not (quite frankly I do not know what prestige means, I have never raided either and I do not think I have any of those...). If he does have them, does the GUI somehow show that the item is unusable? I guess he would just have to go through all his items and check them and their augments and then just replace if needed.

His main character is already 103 so I guess that means he will be able to gain EXP all the way to 105, or did I misunderstand you?

I also think the mercenary issue would be moot since we both dual-box so we only use one character's mercenaries and since my toons are both 105, we would be using my mercenaries anyways.

I will do more research on the Station Cash item which would open up Rank II spells but really rank I spells vs. Rank II would not be that horrible.

I still have my paid accounts so this would only affect his toons.

Thanks again!
  4. Silgurdar New Member

Ack!

I just checked my character's Magelo profile and pretty much all my items are prestige. His toons have always been better equipped than mine so I am sure his will be as well. That might be tough to deal with....

Thanks again!
  5. Rykard Augur

Silgurdar,

The user interface shows items you can not use as yellow on you item screen. It maybe put in a slot on your toon, but you will receive no benefit.

If already 103, you will be able to go to 105.

Rykard
  6. Silgurdar New Member

Thanks, that will make it easy to see what to replace. I have a feeling getting replacement armor, weapons, augments, etc. will be too much of a hazzle, though.
  7. Gundolin Augur

If your friend was on a paid account he should have been receiving 500 Station cash a month which unless he went crazy on spending should still allow him to buy the ability to cast Rank II spells. Check in the DB marketplace.

On the Gear I had also thought most of the Group gear and Tier 1 Raid gear was non-prestige. Most of the decent Augs are prestige though so double check your magelo profile to see if its the item or the Aug that is prestige. The gear may be salvageable just the Augs no longer work.

Yep, if he has purchased TDS or TBM he should be good for level 105.

Finally I believe you can still purchase A5 mercs as a Silver account. But the A5 is a big step down from a J1, and of course even larger down grade from a J5 that you are used to.