FPS Drop When Viewing Characters

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Fenywen, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Fenywen New Member

Can someone please help, I don't know what is going on. I was messing with the setting turning off shadows and what not to try to increase my FPS. It worked great while in that session but then next time I logged on I get massive FPS drops when I look at the characters. It goes from 150 fps to 5 fps. I look away from characters and I get 150, I look back at chars I get 5. I turn down the actor clip plane i get about 30 fps because i can only see my merc, I turn up actor clip plane and get 5 fps again. Doesn't seem to make a difference if my CPU affinity is set to 0 or -1. Doesn't make a difference with what I do to my settings except for turning clip plane down. My specs are:
    CPU: i7 920 @ 2.66 ghz
    GPU: GTX 970
    RAM: 12 GB DDR3
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 2 TB
    PSU: 800W
  2. FiveHour Journeyman

It has something to do with the affinity of the processors. Someone who knows more will chime in.
  3. Gialana Augur

I had even worse than 5 fps when I installed Windows 10. To make EQ playable, I had to enable "hw Vertex Shaders" in the advanced display options. You can also try turning on the 2.0 pixel shaders. If this is ineed your issue, you may need to log completely out of the game after enabling these before you notice a difference in performance.
  4. Fenywen New Member

Gialana, thank you! That fixed my issue. I checked both hw Vertex Shaders and 2.0 Pixel Shaders. I had messed with it before but you have to completely camp and log out and come back for it to take effect. Getting 100+ fps no matter what I do now, thank you!
  5. Aurastrider Augur

You my friend are a life saver. You just made two accounts that were unplayable playable again. Seriously if you are ever on Tunare let me buy you some of the finest elvish wine plat can buy.
  6. Sarkaukar Augur

Serious question, how/why had you all unchecked HW (hardware) Vertex Shaders? Essentially with it unchecked the game processes the VS via software via primarily CPU instead of using the GPU hardware.

That was added early on, when some very weak GPU had issues with processing Vertex Shaders via its hardware, so with it unchecked it was moved off to the CPU via software.

7. Aurastrider Augur

well I can only speak for myself as not being a "computer nerd" and have pretty much no clue wtf any of that stuff even means. I run usually 8 accounts at the same time so I usually try to just tone down all the visuals and stuff on toons that are non essential such as my buff bots. With that said I had those boxes unchecked for a couple of years without any issues and then one day a couple of toons got hit with what I can only describe as the inability to look at anything in game especially any character models and perform any actions at all including something as simple as opening a bag.
  8. Gialana Augur

I can't say with certainty why I had HW Vertex Shaders unchecked. If one of my earlier installs did not have it checked ever, then it is likely I've just been copying that EQ folder whenever I've switched computers. Interestingly, this only became a playability issue when I upgraded a computer to Windows 10.

I appreciate the additional information on what the HW Vertex Shaders button does. I won't ever go without it checked, again.
  9. Gialana Augur

I appreciate the thanks, but Cleaver deserves the recognition. When I made my "help" thread, he was the first to recommend these steps. They just happened to work in my case after all of the normal debugging steps did not solve (at least noticeably) my problem. I'm glad it helped with your two accounts.