"First person to agro" gets the update

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by shimazuul, Dec 6, 2012.

1. shimazuul Journeyman

OK, I have never in 13 years posted a thread asking WTH were the devs thinking, but I guess there had to be a first. WTH were the devs thinking? Either the code is completely bugged or it's not working as advertised. I three box a monk, ranger and chanter. I have a couple healer mercs up and sometimes a tank. I can get all the updates on the monk no problem, but aside from multiple deaths, I can't get but a few updates on the chanter or ranger. The only time I seem to be able to get updates is if I survive a good 30 secs of tanking the mob before engaging with anyone else. This makes zero sense as far as I can tell. If I am missing something here, then please enlighten me.
  2. doktartp Augur

updates for what ?
    maybe if you pull to group, and tag with your chanter/ranger to be first..
  3. Falos Augur

I agree this should be fixed but i do think its a slight exageration that other classes cant get these updates. I did this np on mage, ranger, and bard each taking turns pulling and i've seen other 'fragile' classes do it as well. Also rangers pull virtually as well as monks so ranger should be as easy to get updates on as your monk is.
  4. Tegila Augur

what task are they talkina bout? only problem ive had with updates was on my bard and she was bugged til i camped her out and back in then poof fine.
  5. Rogue Augur

you must play a pretty terrible ranger / chanter if you can't figure out how to pull with those classes
  6. shimazuul Journeyman

I have forgotten more on how to pull with those classes than most people know. That's not the point. Let me be more clear. Even while pulling with those classes, getting agro first and tanking for a while, I am still not getting the update. I am going to try a few things. Might be who is desinated leader, or even tank. Might be one of my mercs is bugging this, but whatever the case it's still a terrible idea. If you have 6 people in your group, you have to do the same quest 6 times minimum for everyone to get an update. Are people in groups willing to hang around once they get theirs? Most will but some won't and it just adds to aggravation, not game enjoyment.
  7. Drewie Augur

We had that bug in the Ho-Ho-Help! task in Eastern Wastes, each group member had to pull in order to get his updates.
  8. Liliana Augur

Its a dumb bug for that task, requires way more kills this way. Pulling with each of my 3 box isnt an issue, its just having to do it 3 times is annoying
  9. Izcurly Augur

You never said, but pretty sure you're talking about the quest for killing inhabitants of the giant fort in EW. It's an acceptable mechanic...the only reason it upset you is that it's different from nearly every other kill-quest mechanic in the game, so you didn't expect it.

It's first-on-aggro-without-losing-aggro until the mob is dead. No requirement to tank at all, you merely have to be first-on-aggro and not use anything (fade/FD/dying) that removes that person from aggro, even for a second. That also means whoever actually was first can instantly become not-first by fade or FDing themselves, or appropriate use of blur tools, so pulling classes can still pull.

What we did for our cleric (live body, not merc): We snared, slowed, parked single, and blurred a mob right in front of the party. Cleric tagged with a spell, then tank grabbed the mob like usual. Worked every time.
  10. shimazuul Journeyman

The EW Ho-Ho-Ho quest is only one of many that use this mechanic. If it were only one quest for a novelty, then maybe. However I have found more in CC that use it as well. I have used the chanter to mez then blur the mob then agro it with whatever toon needs it. Still doesn't work 100% of the time. I am just starting in CC and the first two merc missions I tried used this. This is gonna get old real fast if everything from here on out is the same.
  11. smash Augur

Except, that when you need items in Shards landing, ALL the persons in ground can get the "item" from the mob you kill.
    So why is that not true in some situations, like EW/CC ?
  12. wingz-83 Augur

Just had this tonight. I would hope this is not intended for just a kill task. If this was intended too bad they didn't implement this feature with the kill tasks in Shards Landing and let everyone experience the "fun."
  13. Izcurly Augur

Which is exactly what I said....it's upsetting because it's different, not because it's "wrong".
  14. Symbius Augur

Actually... it's upsetting because it is very annoying. Different is fine and all, but having a mechanic that is just annoying is not fun.
  15. Zunnoab Augur

How is that acceptable? That's just bizarre if it's intended, but it certainly doesn't sound right to me.
  16. Zaph Augur

Not that far through Progression myself yet, but also seen it on "Ho Ho Help" in EW, and "A Step in the wrong direction" in CC.
    Seen it happen before on a task a few expansions ago, I believe it to be due to the task originally being a shared group task, that was then made to a self only, but not fully converted over...
  17. Ronak Augur

It's not an acceptable mechanic. Every person in the group having to get that kill number adds up fast. It's not a mechanic. It's an obvious bug, that has popped up in prior expansions as well. And been fixed.