Finally convinced a friend to play. What class should I duo with?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pythlen82, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Pythlen82 Lorekeeper

As title says, I finally convinced a friend to play EQ. After him hearing my tales of SK, he wants to try that. What class should I duo with him? I have some experience in Cleric (soloed to 75, did epic and was authorized to raid) but that's been about 6 years now
  2. Pythlen82 Lorekeeper

Forgot to put: only classes I'm really opposed to are Rogue, Mage, and Enc
  3. Cicelee Augur

Shaman would pair very well with any tank class. Outside of that, any DPS class would work well with the SK.

Classes like ranger and beastlord provide both DPS and buffs, if that is your thing. However I would go with either shaman (buffs, slow, CC, some DPS) or whatever DPS class you like. Only melee DPS class I might stay away from is berserkers, only because they tend to be more reliant on ADPS to help them than others. But even if you go that route it is still DPS...
  4. Mulleteer Elder

Bard with cleric and a caster merc ( Bard gives you crowd control and even better pulling then the sk + adps). Bards are fun.

Shaman with 2 dps mercs (shaman adds great buffs heals and slows ghetto crowd control with root)

Besides the 3 classes you are opposed too, don't play a war or a paladin with the sk.

Clerics are a bit of over heal in a group situation.

As mentioned above any dps can work with an sk
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

Beastlord, I would assume. Both can FD, you get dps, off tanking, bufses,etc. I am thinking that also for dungeon crawling it would be a fun duo.

If not, maybe necro? Cool theme, again both can FD. There might be quite some overlap, and the kills may be a little slow...

I would consider also adding a boxed melody bard if you go for the beast lord. He can be standing doing nothing but melody and be a great addition to the team.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

A shaman would be a good choice, but if you don't have any desire to play a priest class then your other option would be to depend on healer mercs and roll a Ranger or a Wiz. If you're the shaman then it's your fault when the SK dies, but if you're a dps class then it's his fault! :)
    Daedly likes this.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

I would vote necro or wiz personally. If all crap hits the fan both of you can just fd if you roll necro or you can evac if you roll wiz. A second pet with necro will provide dps and off tanking if needed. Your sk should be able to hold agro well so you can dot up multiple mobs or AE nuke if playing a wizard. Compared to the caster mercs even a box wiz will out perform them on most days if you macro them well. If you are feeling really adventurous a druid might also work if you friend can play his sk well. You can dot or nuke the mobs and spot heal as needed and run 2 dps mercs or as stated a shaman who can dot and spot heal. A lot is going to depend on your friends abilities since he will be the centerpiece of the group so if he is not very good you will both be in for a rough ride.
  8. code-zero Augur

At higher levels Bard Epic click and FE are with Aria make SK's amazing.
  9. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I find sk rog and sk mage to be both versatile and powerful in the modern eras. Honorable mention for sk ench too.

If you’re doing old content or the TLP cesspool and there aren’t mercs, sk priest is also popular.
  10. code-zero Augur

Also, if you had an SK what classes did you enjoy grouping with?
  11. ptah Augur

interesting.. sk and what?

I agree sk and bst would fun..
    sk and bard pretty powerful
    sk with a wizzy.. maybe a lil boring.. takes a special person to always be on.. and max the tin hat.
    sk shaman.. you cover a lot.. druid.. track and ports?
    sk ranger interesting

I differ from OP.. if it was me.. it SK and ENC all in.. I can get rez tokens for others later.
  12. ptah Augur

crap.. I forgot. sk and zerk.. for fan boy in all of us.
  13. Drexyll Lorekeeper

If you two are wanting to get the most out of a duo you definitely need a healer. I would pick a Shaman-great heals, slows, buffs, dots, dd's, decent pet...in my opinion much better than a cleric. If you decide on a trio, I would add some real dps-maybe a monk, ranger, zerker, or rogue.
  14. Rykus New Member

I really enjoyed the SK/Shaman duo. All those buffs on a good tanker that is also a ton of fun to play? You can't go wrong with that. Then just add 2 dps mercs or a dps and cleric merc and your gonna tear stuff up.
  15. Gnomereaper Augur

Shaman has access to things like the Sky Ring that you can use to FD with.
  16. Goshdern_VZ New Member

Yeah shm/sk is a classic combo. SK cast and proc'd taps mitigate tons of damage already so shm HoTs do wonders, they can do some dps, slow.. and they keep you nicely buffed. pop merc cleric when needed for buffs, but rock no mercs or 2 wizzys otherwise imo.
  17. Time zone Journeyman

Beastlord,

part shaman ( shaman adds great buffs heals and slows ghetto crowd control with root))
    2nd BEST pet in game
    massive DPS, like a monk
    Dots like a GIRLSCOUT.....LAFF, but still has DoT spells