Favorite Zones

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Reval, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Reval Augur

My favorite Zones are:

1) Old Sebilis

2) Chardok

3) Plane of Fire - honorable mention: Sol Ro's tower

4) Solb

5) Brell's Temple - I especially liked the group flagging instance - great mob placement and strategy. If I didn't want that to be the main focus of the thread, I'd put that particular instance of this zone at number one.

6) Sanctum Somnium

7) Guk - I honestly do like SS more than guk after thinking about it, but I do sort of miss the train element that Guk had and SS doesn't.

8) Meldrath's Majestic Mansion

9) The Underquarry

10) Ashengate

11) Pellucid Grotto

12) The Foundation - I mostly liked the flagging instance.

13) Karnor's Castle - honorable mention: Temple of Cazic Thule for being Karnors jr.

14) Overthere - Even though this was a "typical outdoor zone", something about it made pulling fun in the zone. The guards were a nice touch on occasion. The city was cool. You had choices, for example most groups would pull a longer distance to a safer place, but you could forego that and choose a level of risk/reward. Some mobs had greater value, like the sarnaks with whips to collect. Some were more dangerous, like the rhinos for their run speed, or the tigers for their general difficulty. In short it had a different set of variables which kept things fun.

15) City of Mist.

16) Splitpaw/Splitpaw entrance - I liked that if you couldn't do the inside yet, there was like a waiting room that was good too.

Least favorite Zone - All Karanas outside of splitpaw. They're less exciting than going to my local K-Mart.

What about you? Also explain why even though I generally didn't in this thread. The more I think about it, the more a few of the better post PoP zones are going towards the top. However, I think that to a degree you have to consider the time period of the zone.. they had better capabilities game wise for the newer zones, and hopefully the history of older zones helped as well.
    Bigstomp and Sirene_Fippy like this.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

You answered correctly with #15.

Also, really enjoyed Dreadspire/Demiplane.

Least favorite zone? Hills of Shade. F everything about that place, from annoying run to crappy/buggy quests to screwy mob effects and beyond. Dumb dee dumb dumb dumb!
    Kravn likes this.
  3. Gundolin Augur

Ahh but there were some great groups in South Karana just non-stop continuous pulling for the great slow grind.
  4. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Favorite zones by xpac:

Classic: Oasis of Marr - I had a lot of fun leveling here on various characters. Lots of different camps. Used to see necros sit at the docks with Lich on. Lockjaw and Cazel were terrifying.

Kunark: Veeshan's Peak - It was so scary and difficult. The key quest was absurd. We would die in another zone so we could get rezzed out at the end of raids, since we couldn't gate.

Velious: Skyshrine - super epic run up to the top of the zone. The maze was awesome. The Crusaders were awesome, as well as Yelinak. Having + Veeshan faction made the zone feel really awesome.

Luclin: Hollowshade Moor - because it's pretty, and for the NPC cycle/war thing.

PoP: Sol Ro's Tower - really huge and epic. Felt awesome to be there and to fight to the end of the towers. Was really challenging to play there.

LDoN: Just the end rooms of each mission, some of these are really unique.

GoD: Yxxta - The riddle at the entrance was great. The Primals are awesome. The open area with the pond full of mobs was a really tough place to hunt for BiC pieces also. Mindrider was pretty rough.

OoW: Riftseeker's Sanctum - One of my favorite zones to hunt in for a long time.

DoDH: Dreadspire Keep / Demiplane - probably one of my all time favorite zones. The layout of this zone is awesome, NPCs were tough, and the lore and events in the zone are very well done.

PoR: Razorthorn, just for the SZ raid, one of the most challenging raids I participated in.

TSS: Ashengate; really fun to run there, nice to be bound outside of. You could fall off into Direwind, which sucked but gave me that real sense of fear up by the eggtenders in the top of the zone. The key mob you could camp at the end of the zone that would let you move from north - east wing. All the different camps for Corruption augs. The quest for the super aug. ToV theme made it awesome.

TBS: Solteris, we used to go up with 1 group and farm Phosphites? for powersources or something. The trash in that zone was.. interesting, and the events were fun, especially the last one.

SoF: Crystallos was great for fighting deep into a dungeon and being rewarded for it, if you could survive. The Squire camps were really hard. This zone was also really pretty and shiny.

SoD: Field of Scale and the rest of the iksar theme. I always loved the lore from Kunark and really liked when they added this storyline to the game.

UF: Convorteum is one of my all time favorite zones, really challenging, really neat dungeon aspect.

HoT: Morell's Castle for all the really neat dream aspects of the zone, especially candyland.

VoA: Windsong is my favorite VoA zone, for bard stuff. The run through RT and to the top of Windsong was really fantastic (except the breeze out the window BS).

RoF: Plane of Shadow, if Vex Thal had been like this it would have been way more awesome. I had a lot of fun camping here and figuring out how to get around the temple.

CotF: Neriak 3rd Gate because lore

TDS: Degmar because I like the dungeon-y feel

TBM: Sul Vius, I really like the mirror aspect to this zone and the different ramps you can take to move around. It makes it feel pretty non-linear.

I don't know where to put it, but Plane of War is my all time favorite zone because of how hard it was/is. I was scared running around the zone for the first time in years.
  5. Hayzeus Augur

Ravenholm - "We don't go to Ravenholm"
    Kravn and Iila like this.
  6. Rhodz Augur

All the old Bard kiting zones before they butchered the class.
    All-of-them
  7. Zamiam Augur

Everquest Classic were my fav zones .. all of them .. Old freeport ( not the new version) Sro docks (lockjaw and spectre island) Lguk loved camping the ancient croc for my druid gear :p .. having to run from freeport to qeynos the whole way with sow which at that time would not last the hole trip dodging named cyclops at the bottom of the gorge and griffons .. and if you died having the long corpse run back so it actually made dying scary. South karana aviak tree house, split paw , spires.. lake rathe .. the catacombs .. the newbie log area in Kith before the revamp outside neriak.. those were the days ..

and before anyone asks why I did not just port to the druid port in the karanas .. this was back before i boxd' and i had many alts .. i also played a necro,cleric, mage..
  8. Azbaelus Lorekeeper

Plane of Earth. Love the music there. Like most of PoP but Earth is my favorite.

City of Mist and Dalnir's. Loved the Kunark crawls.

Fear, in all it's incarnations, although the original, with that dread of full-zone agro, was the best. Then it would start raining blood....

Morrell's Castle...just a lot of fun, little bit of everything.

Dreadspire

The Buried Sea. Enjoyed the wide range of quests, broken down by islands, with a great final reward.
  9. Azathoth New Member

Can anyone tell me if Lockjaw still spawns in North Ro, and if so..how to get him to Spawn?? I've been trying to get that sucker for awhile but never see him. Dunno if he still spawns or not. If anyone can help, that would be great!!
    Take care,
    K
  10. TheQxx Augur

Plane of Mischief (pre-nerf)
    All of the Froglok dungeons
    All of the Goblin dungeons
    Nudia likes this.
  11. Qbert Gallifreyan

Preface: I'm a paladin, and that does enter into a lot of my choices. For most of my time in the game, I've been a grouper/soloer, so that plays into it as well. In addition to the list below, I have a lot of zones that I really like the music for, but are otherwise not notable to me and/or were downright bad in terms of game lore so I don't enjoy the zone (some of the GoD zones fall into this category for me).

Plane of Hate - felt good to start out slaughtering undead, and then follow that up by mass smurf decimation. I must have spent eight months or more here, straight, around level 50-65. The Marsinger's Gem was a neat questline as well.

Katta Castellum - this felt like a paladin city to me. Some neat quests that I still remember doing 15+ years later (the rechargeable Mask of Espionage was a go-to item for me for many years, and the Loyalist Shield of Honor - not only was the questline awesome, I wore that has a back item for a long time).

Veeshan's Peak - before the revamp was really fun, but after the revamp, factioning up to get all of the quests from the dragons (and completing them all) was a highlight for me. I wore most of the gear rewards from those quests for a long time as well. This was also the first time I spent a lot of effort to solo what was at the time a difficult target (Xygoz).

Dreadspire Keep/Demi-plane of Blood - everything other than camping Alex Hutchison was great in both the group and raid versions of the zone. In addition to the neat way that the zonewide debuff was handled, I enjoyed the variety of mechanics. Heck, the developers must have thought they were neat too, since they copy-pasted a lot of it into later raid zones with different skins (/cough Meldrath's Mansion).

Cooling Chambers - the high prevalence of undead mobs mixed with the coldain was nice. I liked most of Underfoot, but I really wish there were more zone connections. Since the zones are underneath Norrath, there should have been more avenues/shortcuts to traverse the game. I guess by that time (and still), travel was/is mostly obsolete.

Mechamatic Guardian - I actually felt as if I was in the giant robot while going up, up, up in the zone. The various questlines that occurred in there (including some anniversary content) was interesting to me, and I liked the mechanic that let you port up to various levels as you picked up the boxes/progressed in the zone. Later, this type of mechanic was repeated in Convorteum (with the hand/rings to port up to various levels) - good idea.
  12. Caemien Elder

The raid instance of Korsha Lab
  13. Kravn Augur

I cant believe nobody has said Howling Stones yet..??!!!?!?1

Seriously though, Kunark had a lot of the best zones the game has seen... Seb, HS, KC, CoM, Droga/Nurga, Dalnirs, Kurns... and later on, Veksar.
    moogs likes this.
  14. Badhand Elder

1. Plane of Fire(where a ranger can practice headshot and farm diamonds):):):):):)

2. Valley of Lunanyn/Argath Bastian of Illdaera(more headshots and drops you can sell in the Baz well):):):):):)

3. Field of Scale(some weak mobs with good experience for anyone):):):)

4. The Hardcore Heritage zones.:):);)
  15. Anhari Augur

Old School:
    Chardok
    Plane of Hate
    Plane of Fear
    Venral Satiar (spelling) in Karnor's Castle. (Loved the zone as well)

These were the first 4 "raids" that I ever did with UG *Ultimate Guardians on Morell Thule back in the early 2000's. I was always fearful, and when you died back then, corpse runs, etc. Worst thing to happen was to wipe in Hate, and no one wants to continue for the night, or your computer crash's and you can't get back with-in the 4 hr limit on an exp rez!. No corpse summons's, and item rot if you can't get back to your corpse in time!
  16. moogs Augur

Late to this thread, but Howling Stones is my absolute go-to between 40-53. Then it's on to Grieg's End until 61, and today I re-discovered Splitpaw which was fantastic. I'm 67 on my baby SK and that place will continue to be great until 70. All good zone designs.
  17. Mackinaw Lorekeeper

Bastion of Thunder was always a favorite of mine but I think overall for the appropriate level/gear it's a tie between Estate of Unrest and Runneye. As far as expansions go overall I'd have to pick Kunark. Whether it was outdoors in The OT or Dreadlands or deep inside Karnor's, COM or Old Seb, I always had fun there.
  18. Xanathol Augur

Pretty much all the old dungeons - the Guks, Runnyeye, Splitpaw, Unrest, CoM, Seb, Chardok, Hate, PoM, Sleeper's, Velk's, Crystal Caverns, Sol A&B, Mistmoore, Cazic, Kaesora, The Hole, Howling Stone, Ssra.