Fallen/Deceased/MIA Everquest Players

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Seldom, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Seldom Augur

Does anyone else think it would be nice addition to have a spot on these forums to post about ill, deceased or MIA Everquest players from past and present? Perhaps developers could even find it fitting to name some items, encounters, npcs, quests or lore after some? I've learned of six(!) most likely deaths of some pretty big EQ names or longtime players/forum posters just this past week alone which put the thought in head. Was shocked to hear that Battleblade was in hospice long while ago supposedly(very late on finding out about that). Was wondering where his forum posts had disappeared to as he was always so vocal on tank balance etc. for so many years.
  2. YellowBelly Augur

Oh wow. Battleblade is gone? That sucks. I always enjoyed reading his posts. Even if he would argue with most of the community.
    Seldom likes this.
  3. Kittyzerk Lorekeeper

Devs will not support it, they have a hard enough time with servers unfortunately. Let alone fixing bugs in game. Sorry to hear about those you use to play with or know of during your experience.
  4. Kieren New Member

It would be nice to know. There are a few that i havent seen for a long time now. They used to play a lot.
  5. Reht The Dude abides...

That's not really a fair statement, that's more than likely a decision that would have to be made by the talking heads well above their pay grade......
    Cakekizy likes this.
  6. Kittyzerk Lorekeeper

Fair enough, it should be rephrased to, " They have more on their plate then they can handle, so at this time it is highly unlikely we will see this in game."
  7. jeskola pheerie

unfortunately, in my 18 years in EQ, I have seen more than one person fake a RL death for attention. :( Kinda screws this possibility of an official memorial up.
    Kanuvan and NameAlreadyInUse like this.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Could always make a facebook page. EQ PLAYER MEMORIAL or something like that. Like the funeral homes have for people to sign guest books on those who have passed.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

I support the general idea.

Our RL friend and former player passed away a couple of years ago, we are still talking about making an in-game memmorial event.

making an in-game tookbstone for him would mean something. We thought of making a corpse that resembled him (or get a GM to help us), walk in procession through the zone, dragging his corpse, out into Ocean of Tears, and camp him out a final time.
  10. Scila Augur

If I remember correctly on these forums there was a section for what you want. The mods cleaned up and ditched a bunch of topics to have less to manage.

On the honoring note, on Brell/Ct guilds have gathered to honor players with weapons and shields sheathed in a public place (I remember Nexis stone in PoK being popular) with the GL etc saying a few words.
  11. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

one option is for guilds to just have their own memorial space; its something we've done for TR. Sadly, i keep having to add to it, and i think my heart grows heavier each time i have to expand it further. we've lost three players in the last couple of months and we have a corner of both our website and our guild hall exterior set aside in their memory.
    Kajira likes this.
  12. YellowBelly Augur

Seriously? That seems a little off.
    Zaph, Cakekizy and jeskola like this.
  13. jeskola pheerie

I wonder what the average EQ age is now? Its got to be mid 40s. That combined with the general assumption of mmo players not having the best eating and exercise habits sort of makes this not surprising. It used to be guild attrition was due to burnout and other games, now it is just going to be us all dropping dead :/

The question is what will DBG do to counter this issue? I am thinking free health care to All-Access subs.
  14. Seldom Augur

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions all. Nice hearing some of the different ways people have honored their fellow EQers. Also, I think it's safe to assume most of us are no longer spring chickens Jes lol
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Maybe a cultural differences thing.

We talked about it, and while no one where advocating it strongly, nobody dismissed it as being morbid or otherwise disturbing.

Death is implicitly a taboo in Denmark, we are not very good at talking about it, nor very good at handle grief in social situations. So maybe the gesture where we can show up, and there is a funeral like event, where we do not have to do other than witness it together, it a cultural fit. Or maybe we just didn't think it through...

There is quite a way from talking about it to actually doing it, A persistent memmorial park would be easier to deal with, maybe we would go to his grave sometimes and drink beer, then go out and kill some mobs...
  16. Modef Lorekeeper

Yes, one of your guildmates just died nine years after he attended my son's memorial. There should be an ingame option to memorialize our friends.

Suggestion to DEVS: I realize there is literally, just a handful of all y'all. So, no idea will be considered unless it generates income. This is just RL.

New temporary zone, purchasable with Station Cash, along the line of the guild halls and wedding chapels......Viking Funeral Chapel. After purchase, instanced zone upon a shoreline, boat, ability to place deceased character upon boat (provided the toon's info is known), torches, ceremony that launches boat.......just an idea.
  17. Captain Video Augur

Speaking of MIA, what happened to Borek? I haven't seen him on in nearly nine months now. He still owns the Newbie FAQ.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Let's think about the sort of flak Daybreak would get if they started selling temporary zones for RL player deaths. The cry of daybreak making money on player deaths would be be all over the place and likely the internet.

I don't think Daybreak should be doing anything specific for player deaths. If a guild wishes to set up something in their guild hall or on their website I would think that would be the most appropriate way to handle it. If any player run server forums still exist that would be another place people could decide to honour those they have lost and knew through Everquest in a more permanent way.

For myself and my guild I like to keep Everquest a game where we just go to relax and enjoy ourselves. Yes at times we may lose someone we knew through the game and we mourn and remember them each in our own way. But for many I think the game is a place to relax and forget about RL for a bit.
  19. Randomgamer Journeyman

We have lost some in my guild too. I think we all have. I think they should give us a memorial wall or plaque in the GH where we can put the names of our fallen friends and guildies. I don't think that would take too much resources to do and it would still be a way to honor or lost friends.
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

The problem with GH are that 1) they are not public 2) a lot of guilds die out, in the sense that there are no or only very few active members